Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Steering Wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Cairo94507
Hello all:

I have an after-market wheel on my '71 914-6; I want to replace it with the factory wheel.

Will a '72 (reportedly) 914-6 wheel fit on the '70/'71 914-6? I ask because I know the '72 has the ignition on the column and that leads me to suspect it may be a 4 cylinder steering column and I do not know if that is the same spline/fitment as the 914-6 column of the '70/'71 model year.

Does anyone know the answer? I tried searching and learned a lot, but could not find an answer to that.

Thanks.
Michael
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Believe it or not all 65-73 and through 76 914 911 912 and 914 and 914-6 steering wheels are the same, usually the earlier 911 types being larger, but the difference is the plastic hub added to the vw type columns. Remove this and the steering wheel with appropriate add on hardware will fit any of these cars. The 911 912 914-6 have two extra machine drilled holes for the canceling ring but other than that, "have at it!"
You are right about the 72 914-6, they have a vw type 914-4 steering column and use a 914-4 steering wheel!!!

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 12 2010, 06:54 PM) *

Hello all:

I have an after-market wheel on my '71 914-6; I want to replace it with the factory wheel.

Will a '72 (reportedly) 914-6 wheel fit on the '70/'71 914-6? I ask because I know the '72 has the ignition on the column and that leads me to suspect it may be a 4 cylinder steering column and I do not know if that is the same spline/fitment as the 914-6 column of the '70/'71 model year.

Does anyone know the answer? I tried searching and learned a lot, but could not find an answer to that.

Thanks.
Michael

Cairo94507
Good Morning George:
So, part number 91434780511 with date 6/72 will fit my '71 914-6?
Thank you again,
Michael
Cairo94507
OK, so here are the parts I have. I am hoping that I have all I need to replace the aftermarket wheel that was on my car. Once I know I have all of the parts and I have confirmed the horn works, signal canceler, etc., then I will have the wheel refinished.

Here is what I have, does anyone have a schematic or diagram so I can put this together?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I am apparently just brain dead....having trouble getting pictures to post/ I will figure it out. Stay tuned.
Cairo94507
more pictures:

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Click to view attachment

OK, so do I have what I need?

And by the way, big thank you to George at AA who was absolutely right about this steering wheel fitting my car even though it was apparently off a '72 4 cylinder car.

I was concerned because of the different steering column beginning in '72. I took the plastic parts off the back of the wheel and it fits perfectly. Just need to get all of the horn stuff sorted out.

Thanks for the help.
Michael
Lightweight_911
Michael, you need an early ('65-'73) 911 (or original 914/6) turnsignal-cancelling ring - it looks like the one shown in your photo is for a 914/4 (smaller overall diameter).

This is the one you want:

IPB Image

You also need the spring & 'cup' washer :

IPB Image

& the spring-loaded horn contact:

IPB Image

Once you have all these parts, this is what you need to do:

Place the (911) cancelling ring on the back of the steering wheel by lining up the holes where the horn contact fits - red arrow in picture below:

IPB Image

Next mark (on the back of the wheel) the position of the mounting holes indicated by the yellow arrows.

Remove the cancelling ring & centre puch/drill/tap (M4) 2 holes where marked.

Countersink these two holes - the back of your wheel should now look like this (green arrows):

IPB Image

Now you can fit the cancelling ring using 2 short M4 csk machine screws, horn contact, spring & 'cup' washer (making sure it's orientated like in the earlier picture).

Fit the wheel to the splined column (making sure that the road wheels are pointing straight ahead), add the washer & nut & tighten down.

Hope this helps.
Cairo94507
Hello Andy:
WOW! Thank you for the excellent pictures and description. Could you give me a measurement across the opening for the canceling ring so I will know if mine is correct or not. I should now be able to get this together. Thanks again,
Michael
Lightweight_911
The (approx) overall diameter of the 911 cancelling ring is 87mm & the (approx) diameter of the central hole in the cancelling ring is 52mm.
Cairo94507
Andy: Thank you again. Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.