Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Niklas
Hello!

Should 914 have one ore two side mirrors ?

Niklas
Gustl
standard equipment was only one side mirror
the passenger's side mirror was available as option M528 (additional cost)

beerchug.gif Gustl
Niklas
Was it standard with both sides in any country ( sweden ) ?
Gustl
I don't know - but I don't think so idea.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Niklas @ Nov 14 2010, 10:22 AM) *

I can tell you only this - thr late 72 US passenger doors were equipped with welded nuts inside the door for fitting a second mirror. All you needed to do was drill a hole, get a right side mirror (or fklip the left side) and mount. Though I would appreciate the extra mirror, I won't drill holes in my my 914.

Anal? Yep.
Pat
larss
QUOTE(Niklas @ Nov 14 2010, 05:22 PM) *

I was just googling on this since I have the same question myself,and it seems to be a law in Sweden that all cars from year model -69 and on should have one inner and two outer mirrors. Dont know if there was any exceptions from this.

Im thinking of giving it a try with just one outer...

/Lars S
Niklas
Now I have bougth 4 new mirrors for my two cars.
So it will be on both sides for my cars.

Niklas
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 14 2010, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Niklas @ Nov 14 2010, 10:22 AM) *

I can tell you only this - thr late 72 US passenger doors were equipped with welded nuts inside the door for fitting a second mirror. All you needed to do was drill a hole, get a right side mirror (or fklip the left side) and mount. Though I would appreciate the extra mirror, I won't drill holes in my my 914.

Anal? Yep.
Pat

Pat & Niklas - those holes were on all passenger side doors 70-76 MYs.

Many of us other than Pat put them on the passenger side door for safety's sake - & to keep our 914's in one piece while driving ~ hopefully. dry.gif Since it was factory standard in some markets & an available option from dealers or for a factory ordered 914, adding them should not cause one to be gigged/docked CW points IMHO.

IIRC it was Sweden & 1 or 2 other markets where the pass. side mirrors were required which prompted the Porsche/VW JV to set-up the R doors to accept them & to make the very slightly convex R-side mirror (still available).

However, be aware that the metal mirror housings are the same on both sides & the part no. stamped into it will be upside down on the passenger one, so the only way to tell which is which is literally to look in them both together side-by-side & see which shows your face bigger (& uglier in my case! biggrin.gif ) & that's the R-side one with the slight convex effect. I had to do that when I ordered 2 new ones for my resto last year, & thought that I got the wrong one sent for the R-side!

Niklas - if you've bought 4 new L mirrors for those 2 914s - then you may want to try to exchange the 2 right side ones for the proper convex ones from whomever you bought them originally (dealer, AA, PP/Automotion, etc.), since they're still available new in R-side convex from Porsche.
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 16 2010, 07:30 PM) *

Pat & Niklas - those holes were on all passenger side doors 70-76 MYs.

100% - my '76 has them in place
Niklas
Thanks Tom for all your information.

Niklas
914werke
two
914werke
A little side-jack biggrin.gif :
There were apparently two SIZE's of the OE mirrors.
I was just about to apply a repop mirror into a spare I had only to find out IT DONT FIT headbang.gif (Thanks George biggrin.gif ) Actually My fault for not checking before/As I got it.

So when was what size available?
dlkawashima
Dunno if you've seen this, but here's a page on the 914 outside mirrors:

http://www.p914.com/p914_mirrors_side.htm

I don't know of another mirror for the 914. Pictures?

914werke
HUH! no Id never seen that site before~
Nice.
nsr-jamie
914's in Japan came with them on both sides as its required about law....in the US and Canada one mirror was standard, but I have seen a few cars with pairs on them. I imported my car into Japan a few years ago and needed the passenger mirror and it was easy to install. The threaded holes are already there.
ben*james
QUOTE(Niklas @ Nov 14 2010, 02:27 AM) *

Hello!

Should 914 have one ore two side mirrors ?

Niklas

TWO!! 914's in order to have proper visual balance need both mirrors. slap.gif
orthobiz
One.

Paul
orthobiz
But to amplify my response, I was in the car today and was looking around. I think the smallness of the vehicle, the lack of a blind spot and the two mirrors (driver door and rearview) were enough. I just don't feel like I'm missing out without that passenger mirror.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.