Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feel the burn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peridotian
So my 19 year old son and I will be trekking down to Marina on Sunday and I am nervous icon8.gif because:
1. I have never driven in an AX
2. Neither has my son and he has barely driven a stick
3. I do not have a helmet
4. My accelerator pedal sticks at WOT sometimes
5. I am sure that we will be the slowest car in the field

So as I am cleaning up and tuning the car Saturday, I will take the kid out for several runs around town and let him grind off a few more teeth on my tranny, check my battery hold down, and maybe buy a helmet.

Is there a prize for worst time clap56.gif of the day?
Britain Smith
You better practice, you are out there with me as the two cars with the lowest amount of HP. I went ahead and upgraded my shocks all around and lowered the car to help out a bit. I was too cheap to go with the adjustable Koni's, but I did get a nice set of Bilsteins. I still need to get the toe set correctly.

See you on Sunday, are you going to make it to the breakfast Sat. morning. If you remember, be sure to throw that box with my laser cut parts and throttle body in your car. I can get it Sat. morning at the breakfast if you end up going, otherwise I will see you at the autocross.

-Britain
airsix
You two are going to have a blast. I'm sure it will be a wonderful father-son experience. Autocross is great fun - expect to be hooked (both of you).

Get your throttle fixed ASAP. Add another return spring if needed. If your throttle-return is questionable you will NOT pass the tech inspection (for good reason). I'm confident you can get this bug worked out before "go time".

Get there early and start walking the course as soon as they let you. Find a nice experienced driver to walk the course with you. The value of this is imesurable and will make a HUGE impact on your experience. Your course guide will help you find the "line" and give you tips on how to set up for different portions of the course and how to link everything together so you'll be smooth. Walk the course as many times as you can. You need to really get it burned into your memory so you can worry more about driving the car and less about "where am I supose to go?". Don't try to drive at 100% the first run. Try the first run at 75% and then step it up with each subsequent run as you get more comfortable with the car and the course.

Getting some more seat time with your son this week is a good idea. He'll probably need quite a bit of practice on his 1st-to-2nd shifting since it's so easy to nick reverse - especially when your pumped up with adrenalin and trying to do it fast. The more comfortable he is operating the car the more fun he'll have IMHO.

Try to get into a novice class. Everyone else in your class will be relatively new and running on street tires too. You might be surprised at how well you do.

Talk to everyone. Make friends. Have fun. You're going to love it.

-Ben M.
Demick
Ben gave excellent advise. No need to be nervous or worried. Just have fun.

Like Ben said, make sure you get there early enough to walk the course. This is an absolute must (not only for your first autocross, but for EVERY autocross).

There is instruction for anyone who wants it, but it is mandatory for first timers. At the drivers meeting, they will ask for first timers and tell you where to go to get an instructor.

Also, get that throttle return fixed. It should absolutely not stick at WOT. That is dangerous especially while autocrossing because you will either be at full throttle or full braking at almost all times. Find the problem and fix it. If you can't - then don't go.

If you plan on autocrossing at all regularly, go ahead and get a helmet. You will be getting one anyway, so why not get it now. Much better than the loaners. Even better if you and your son wear the same size and can get one helmet for both of you.

Don't worry about being fast or slow. There will be other first timers too, and everyone there was a first timer at one time. Go slow or as fast as you feel comfortable. Just make sure you are having fun and everything else will fall in line.

Demick
peridotian
Guys,
Thanks for the reassurances. Britian, I have yoiur stuff loaded into the car already. Will work on the throttle and go buy the helmet. "Walk the course grasshopper, try and snatch the pebble from my hand.........."
Britain Smith
Where is a good place to get a helmet. I would like to get a good one, but not the most expensive helmet out there. Is there a good place locally, or can you get a good deal online? How much can I expect to spend on one?

-Britain
lapuwali
Certainly no reason to be nervous or anxious about having the lowest powered car, or having no experience. When I started autocrossing (mumble) years ago, I ran on stock street tires for most of the first year, and it took me a long time to even beat people several classes below me. Indeed, for much of the first year, my target was a guy in a nearly stock Chevy Sprint (who literally drove the wheels off it, breaking a hub in one event). Once I beat him once, I beat him regularly. Within a few events, I was winning in my own class. Within two seasons, I was winning regional titles.

Lots of practice, lots of advice from other friendly competitors, lots of watching others as I worked.

As for your son, have him just put it in second gear and leave it there. Not using first will not make enough difference to your time to risk grinding reverse. Unless the course is REALLY fast, you're not likely to need third, either.
airsix
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Apr 22 2004, 02:44 PM)
When I started autocrossing (mumble) years ago, I ran on stock street tires for most of the first year, and it took me a long time to even beat people several classes below me. Indeed, for much of the first year, my target was a guy in a nearly stock Chevy Sprint (who literally drove the wheels off it, breaking a hub in one event).

Yeah, it's a grab bag alright. You can't guess the winners by their cars. Last weekend I was faster than some pretty fancy cars and slower than some very non-sporty rides.
...Like a Chevy S-10 pickup. sad.gif Oh the shame, the utter shame.

-Ben M.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Apr 22 2004, 02:42 PM)
Where is a good place to get a helmet. ... Is there a good place locally, or can you get a good deal online? How much can I expect to spend on one?

Don't get a helmet on-line. It must fit to work properly--and you can't check the fit over the net.

Motorcycle helmets are acceptable as long as they're Snell-foundation rated. (M-2000 may be the current standard, I don't think they've got M-05 out yet.) You can get $100 helmets at a motorcycle shop that will pass tech. Higher priced ones will have more features, will weigh less, will look cooler, etc. Some or most of them will be better-designed and better-built than the cheapies, and therefore safer.

Spend as much on the helmet as you think your head is worth. I've got a $100 head... If you are going to the Big Track in the next few years, strongly consider an SA-rated helmet. (GGR does not require SA ratings on the track, but I think SCCA does.) For the most part, you will need to find a Racing Supply store for those.

Get one that fits correctly. An ill-fitting helmet is almost useless in a wreck.

--DD
lapuwali
You can't guess the winners by their cars. Last weekend I was faster than some pretty fancy cars and slower than some very non-sporty rides.

My favorite auto-x story along these lines: A local Corvette club held events now and again, with an "open" class for anyone showing up in something other than a Vette. Some guy (not in the club) showed up with a Yugo. This got lots of laughs, until he beat a number of Vette drivers on the fairly twisty course they had laid out in a shopping center lot.

The very next event, the course consisted of several long straights with hairpins at each end. To absolutely ensure no repetition of the embarrassment, they held the event at a GM Assembly Plant, which had large signs at every entrance to the parking lot stating that all foreign made cars would be towed.

I am NOT making any of this up...
peridotian
I can probably be beat by a Yugo as well!
Question: I removed air con from my car which created a large swuare hole in the front trunk. Will this pass inspection??????
Trekkor
This will be my first A/X as well. I think it will be a lot of fun. I'm the ivory '74 2.0.

Full throttle...Hard braking...Let's do this. mueba.gif MDB2.gif rocking nana.gif
Randal
Demick probably mentioned that there will be loaner helmets at the LPR event.

I'd recommend using one of LPR's this week. While your at the event you can talk to people about where they got their helmet and source one (or two) later.

On the other hand Frey's racing (going out of business) in Fremont (510 651-3739) should be a good source and of course the racers shop at Sears Point typically has a good selection.

Given that most good helmets are pricy I'd do a little sourcing at LPR first.
Randal
Here is a link to the sear point shop:

707-935-7223/www.winecountrymotorsports.com
street legal go-kart
Any motorcyle dealer has a large selection of high quality helmets.
check w/the scca for the most recent helmet spec for solo 1 class a/x.
if you source a helmet to the solo spec it will work for all other a/x.
have fun driving.gif

jt
DNHunt
Here I'm giving advice with a whole 3 AX's behind me. Just go have fun. Don't worry about the other cars. You get several runs so try to improve with each run.

Dave
Brad Roberts
I was going to say EXACTLY what Dave said (Have fun) My first AutoX SUCKED. I showed up to an SCCA event with 4 National winners in Texas. I was 16. NOBODY there was under age 30 it seemed. I had NO idea what to do or where to go when. I ran the car and stood around trying to figure out as much as I could. The next event I attended was a PCA event.. again.. by myself NO help. Lucky for you we have a KICKASS group of people that will make damn sure you have fun and enjoy yourself. If you have a competive bone in your body this will be a BLAST. After my first two events I vowed to help any new people that I came into contact with at ANY event. I knew other people would be turned off by the whole situation if no one was there to do a little hand holding.

Relax. You will do fine.

B
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 22 2004, 11:54 PM)
I had NO idea what to do or where to go when. I ran the car and stood around trying to figure out as much as I could. The next event I attended was a PCA event.. again.. by myself NO help.

Brad, sorry your first time(s) out were so rough. I got lucky. I went to my first event knowing nobody. Not one soul. I signed in, and stood around looking at all these strangers and their cool cars not knowing what in the world to do. The Portland Miata club was up visiting for the event. One of the guys from that club heard me tell the registrar that I'd never done this before. He walked up and asked me if I'd like some help. I gladly accepted. We walked the course and he went through everything with me. To this day, some of his advice is the best I've ever recieved. He showed me how to evaluate the course and plan my lines, how the event operates, what to do and not do on and off course, etc. It was great. Then he introduced me to everybody he knew there. They all treated me like their long-lost little-brother. I'm not a very social person and it takes some coaxing to get me out of my shell. It was great. They put me at ease, answered all my questions, and made me feel welcome.

For any of you thinking about going to your first autocross: You have to talk to people. Find a club officer or eventmaster and ask them who you can talk to for some pointers because it's your first time. They (officers/eventmaster) will be busy with the event but will GLADDLY hook you up with someone to mentor you (And they will know who's qualified to instruct you and who isn't). Going it alone would be a miserable experience. Finding someone to help you out is CRITICAL and will make the difference between frustration and a great experience.

-Ben M.
Mueller
i think the key thing to do is just "drive" the car...don't try to race it....sure, you might have a slow car, but it's better to get a XXX.XX time than a DNF 'cause you smoked a corner and took out a line of cones (JP smash.gif )

luckly for you, you'll be in your 914 so help will be plentiful, I'm bringing my taildragger, so I'll be treated like a leper smile.gif
J P Stein
Hay.....I don't hit that many cones, but when I do, I get an arm load of the sunzabitches. laugh.gif
Randal
Here are a couple of other things:

Don't forget to bring lots of water, gateraid or whatever as when you're out on the course you need to stay hydrated. The Marina sometimes feels cool because of the ocean breeze, but it's a great place to cook.

Bring sunscreen and use it in the morning and in the PM.

And a big hat the covers your entire head. If you don't have one there is a big drug store that has that kind of stuff about halfway through town on the right heading toward the airfield.

You can't miss the field, as there is a huge water tank (?) that you can actually see from 152.

BTW the LPR people are really nice and they run a good event.

Don't forget to remember exactly how you feel when you get your first time slip. You'll need to tell all the people on the BBS.
peridotian
My Brother in law is sending me fedxsaturdaydelivery an AX video so y'all better watch out. Beer is good for hydrating, no? Wife says borrow helmet for now and if you have fun you can buy a helmet. Wait till she hears about the new tires and wheels I'm gonna need! I was born in Texas so I gotta big hat. Am taking my son out this evening for shift practice and tomorrow as well. Brad won't send me his address so I will not caravan, but we will be there early. WooHoo! Herr Mueller, you can drive my 914if I can run your tail dragger!
Mueller
I should have an extra helmet (small) for someone to borrow as long as you don't have fleas, hahahaha

not too sure about letting you drive my 911, you might post a lower time than myself huh.gif

it's okay, I don't know Brads address either....I will be swinging past your place....I'll PM you later on to get your cell number
Britain Smith
Brad is in Hayward, right off 880. I am in Milpitas, right off 880. I am not sure which is the fast way to get there for you, but if you go down 880...give me a ring and we can work something out.

-Britain
Jake Raby
going the first time in a slow car is much better than the first time in a fast car! The first time I did it I was in my 914... That day it was all I could do just to figure out what gears I needed to be in!
I'm no good at it, maybe I'd be better in the 912, atleast its not so damn peaky!
Trekkor
It's Go Time!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.