Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swapping a 901 tail piece
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
So I pulled out my engine and tranny. The V8 is being replaced but the tranny may stay. When I inspected the ears, I found one with a crack. I think it cracked one time when the bolt came loose and the rear of the tranny was slaping around. I have a spare tranny. Can I just take off the tail housing and replace with another? I want to save this tranny since it has been re-geared for a V8. My spare tranny is missing the axle hubs anyway.
RJMII
It's easy to do. smile.gif A handful of little pieces will fall out when you pull the nose cone off, and you won't be able to see where they belong before they fall. Have a reference handy for when you reassemble. (Dr Evil's video, exploded view diagram, pictures, etc)

Mark Henry
The reverse bits didn't fall out on me, not hard to figure out if they do.
mikey914 has the gasket so you don't have to buy a complete kit.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7&hl=gasket
Krieger
agree.gif
McMark
agree.gif There is a small stack of gears that sit on a shaft that's part of the tailcone, but keeping those gears in place isn't challenging as long as you tilt the tailcone down as you take it out. If you're curious, come by the shop sometime. I have plenty of parts lying around to show-n-tell.
Mike Bellis
So, who has pics of the inside of the tail piece? Please post.
McMark
This gear is not necessarily oriented correctly and doesn't have all the pieces there, but I just threw it on there to give you a good idea of what yours will look like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.