Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do we have a weber guru on site?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Twise
I was quoted $800.00 each for rebuild - That has me thinking about just getting a 3.2 with FI. I mean 1600.00 for rebuilds. I got all historic with this car, 2.2 dual webers. Did I make a mistake? Today I just want to pound on this car, it can be so frustrating. Help me out guys, what should I do.
carr914
That figure is a touch high, but not out of the range that Good Weber rebuilders get.

I use Harry Bieker and the last set I had him do ( a few years ago) was $1,400.

The good thing is when Harry is done with them, they are good for a long time. Also try to find Ethanol free gas. All carbs hate Ethanol

T.C.
brant
what are they doing in the rebuild.
are the throttle shafts worn?
my guess is they are or the $ wouldnt' be so high

new throttle shafts can cost that much
they have to actually bore your throttle bodies out, install a bearing (unlike they came originally) and then install a brand new throttle shaft that is not worn and fits the new size of the bearing I.D.

so yep.. a full full full rebuild on a set of webbers with the milling can run that much. You can buy other used carbs, but they could be on their last legs too and just be a year away from needing the same thing.

You can use carbs with worn shafts. They won't idle as well, but not bad either. At full throttle or in racing the extra unfiltered small leak should be ok.

When I had the throttle shaft work done to my IDS race carbs, I actually had to rejet when I got them back (same motor-not rebuilt) because of the air leak.

A wide band O2 is helpful to notice things like that.

You could go MFI? although it may not be cheaper.

brant
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I hate carburation but for history it is essential. If you want the stock look carburate.

We are currently doing a 3.2 for a customer but there is quite alot involved in the conversion as compared to the 2.2.
If I was there I would get the carbs done professionally install them and nevrer look back. The 2.2 is a nice engine combo for your 914 and the weber carbs really work quite well after they are rebuilt. You may want to try PMO as well for the rebuild. Maybe be cheaper and I know that Richard would do a superb job

QUOTE(Twise @ Nov 15 2010, 12:05 PM) *

I was quoted $800.00 each for rebuild - That has me thinking about just getting a 3.2 with FI. I mean 1600.00 for rebuilds. I got all historic with this car, 2.2 dual webers. Did I make a mistake? Today I just want to pound on this car, it can be so frustrating. Help me out guys, what should I do.

IronHillRestorations
$800 just to rebuild is expensive. If that includes re-bushing for the throttle shafts, and they are guaranteed to be as new, it's not a terrible price. If you compare to new PMO's it's about a grand less.
Twise
Okay - sounds like re-building is the ticket. This is a 71 911S motor. I am finding this to be a not so friendly daily driver. I have been told to swap out the cams to make it more DD friendly. Any suggestions on what cams to run?
brant
big expense...

but I've always been told that E cams are much more street friendly (and faster on the street)

I've never run them myself
I run S cams, but its a track car
I'm slowly gathering parts for a street car project, and planned on finding E cams for that project based on everything i've read and been told.

brant
patssle
http://www.performanceoriented.com/

He's on the Pelican boards. I've talked to him, haven't used his services yet, but have heard nothing but great things about him.
r_towle
www.eurometrix.ws

Best in the game...he makes all new butterflies, shafts etc.

Rich
Mark Henry
New venturi's, jets, carb kits....even DYI plus good shafts it adds up.

I know it blasphemy but know I'm considering?

Hog out or remove my venturi's and stealthing in a SDS MSD FI crankfire system. Programmable FI and crankfire ignition, looks vintage, retain the dizzy, I have the MSD, I have the O2 meter, used SDS before.....
$1200 plus the install hassle.
Twise
QUOTE(patssle @ Nov 15 2010, 11:39 AM) *

http://www.performanceoriented.com/

He's on the Pelican boards. I've talked to him, haven't used his services yet, but have heard nothing but great things about him.

This is the message on his sight:

Performance Oriented is currently unable to receive carburetors for service. Please contact us via email for further information and status regarding resumption of service offerings.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will look into the E-cams.
bcheney
I purchased E cams for my 2.2 T motor from:

Dougherty Racing Camshafts,
3841 Quest Court Unit 11,
Shingle Springs, CA. 95682.
Phone 530 672 2286
Website www.drcamshafts.com

He can regrind "T" cams for about $300 and will build a new billet set for any profile for about $625. These were the prices a few years back. John Dougherty is the owner and he was very good to deal with. Unfortunately my conversion has not hit the road yet.... So, I cant tell you anything about the performance yet.
carr914
QUOTE(Twise @ Nov 15 2010, 02:36 PM) *

Okay - sounds like re-building is the ticket. This is a 71 911S motor. I am finding this to be a not so friendly daily driver. I have been told to swap out the cams to make it more DD friendly. Any suggestions on what cams to run?

That should be an MFI system motor. MFI is great if everything is right. Again stay away from Ethanol
Eric_Shea
Webers are not extremely difficult to rebuild unless... unless you need the shafts etc.

I always get the kits, take 3 paper bowls and start removing parts. Carb cleaner and compressed air, put new gaskets in and set everything up properly and you should be good to go. Again, unless there are issues, this is a fairly easy job.

Check into some of the home-brew soda blasting kits. There was a V-dub brother that made a fairly simple kit that used the kitchen stuff. It's "great" for cleaning carbs. Gint may have the link.

Agree on the E-Cams.
JmuRiz
If only it was possible to stay away from E10. I usually put a smidge of stabil in with the tank, any other/better tricks?
mskala
This year I got DC-30 from Dougherty on his recommendation for a decent
powerband on a 2.2 E-spec engine (except carbs). They are also generally
called mod-solex. Been happy so far in limited miles after rebuild, but don't
have anything to compare it with other than the 2.0-T I took out.

I don't know if those fit with S pistons or not. About $750 currently.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.