Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension questions....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
I want to get new shocks and spings for the rear. What is recommended for street driving? I have Koni reds on there now, but I dont know what the spring rate is.

I have a 19 mm Weltmeister front sway I want to put on. I dont have any U-Tabs on my A-arms. Will the Weltmeister bolt-on ones be alright or should I get some stock U-Tabs and have someone weld them on?

I just put the turbo tie rods on there a couple weeks ago. I also put some new Yokohama AVS 195/55 15's on there and I want the sway bar on before my alignment, so I haven't been driving the car.

Thanks for help.
Levi
Rod how is the rear tire clearance at the top of the outer wheel lip with those tires?
I'll be needing new tire and I'm not sure what size I want / can run
415PB
Levi the clearance is perfect for me. I possibly could have gone with a 205/50 but I am glad I got these.
lmcchesney
I put the Weiltmeister 22 sway bar up front a couple of years ago. Mine also did not have stock U tabs. Used the Weilty tabs and have not had any problems. If you worry, then they can be welded to the A arms.
Rear schock, went with Koni Special D's adjustable. Very stiff. Down side is the inablity to adjust spring perches. Running 180# springs for now. Result for the road use, I would like to put some thicker foam in the seat.
I did not place a rear sway bar and have found mixed opinions as well. The usual seems to be, if they already there, leave them but do not put new ones on.
Hope it helps.
L. McChesney
415PB
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Apr 22 2004, 07:03 PM)
I put the Weiltmeister 22 sway bar up front a couple of years ago. Mine also did not have stock U tabs. Used the Weilty tabs and have not had any problems. If you worry, then they can be welded to the A arms.
Rear schock, went with Koni Special D's adjustable. Very stiff. Down side is the inablity to adjust spring perches. Running 180# springs for now. Result for the road use, I would like to put some thicker foam in the seat.
I did not place a rear sway bar and have found mixed opinions as well. The usual seems to be, if they already there, leave them but do not put new ones on.
Hope it helps.
L. McChesney

Helped alot, thanks. I probably will just go with the bolt on U-Tabs. I'm tired of bothering my friends to weld for me and I am sure they are getting sick of it also. I just need to break down and buy a friggin mig.
Brad Roberts
A NICE compliant street ride starts with Koni adjustables and 100 rate rear springs. It will work nicely with the bar you have. I *think* Weltmeister has 100 rate rear springs. I use Eibach or H&R on threaded perches (like in my classifieds ad.) Weld the U tabs on. They work fine bolted but I dont trust them. I'm VERY happy the Smart bars I install dont use the tabs.

B
lmcchesney
Gotta get a TIG/MIG.
L. McC
415PB
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 22 2004, 07:08 PM)
A NICE compliant street ride starts with Koni adjustables and 100 rate rear springs. It will work nicely with the bar you have. I *think* Weltmeister has 100 rate rear springs. I use Eibach or H&R on threaded perches (like in my classifieds ad.) Weld the U tabs on. They work fine bolted but I dont trust them. I'm VERY happy the Smart bars I install dont use the tabs.

B

Thanks B r a d. The 100's sound good to me. Guess I can bug my buds to weld for me one more time. Shit, it's only two small tabs. and B r a d I still really, really want that front end, I am in the middle of escrow right now and when it closes, I want to celebrate by picking those up from you biggrin.gif
415PB
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Apr 22 2004, 07:15 PM)
Gotta get a TIG/MIG.
L. McC

I agree but the wife doesn't biggrin.gif
Brett W
If you want a good street ride that is not too bouncy then stick with nothing higher than 140s in the rear. I ran 180s with a 22mm bar up front and could only run the bar at halfway. I liked my ride but my car was a lot more hard core. For you I would not go with 180# springs.

If your car sits down low you will need to bumpsteer the car.

Check the Weltmeister end links for preload at ride hieght. I think I ended up removing about an inch and re threading the shaft to eliminate it. Koni reds give a nice ride. Might run a stock rear bar, might not.
415PB
QUOTE(Brett W @ Apr 22 2004, 07:46 PM)
If you want a good street ride that is not too bouncy then stick with nothing higher than 140s in the rear.  I ran 180s with a 22mm bar up front and could only run the bar at halfway.  I liked my ride but my car was a lot more hard core.  For you I would not go with 180# springs.  

If your car sits down low you will need to bumpsteer the car.  

Check the Weltmeister end links for preload at ride hieght.  I think I ended up removing about an inch and re threading the shaft to eliminate it.   Koni reds give a nice ride.  Might run a stock rear bar, might  not.

So Brett, should I get the 140's in the rear. And by changing out the springs with my Koni Reds will this change the ride height I have now?
Brett W
It more than likely will , as I beleive the 140s are a little shorter than the stock springs. When I ran 140s I actually cut another coil off the top maybe even two and I could assemble the struts without a spring compressor. You will need to compare to stock springs. It has been several years since I had my 140s. I could go up to my buddies house, they are actually on his car now and measure them. If I remember right they were the Welmeister progressive rate 140# springs.
Brad Roberts
The 140's will require a bigger 22mm front bar to balance the car out correctly. I based my 100 rear rate for you on what you already have (19mm bar.)

No hurries Rod on the parts. I havent advertised them.

B
415PB
Thanks Brett and B r a d. I will go with the 100 rate springs on the rear. I really dont want to pick up a 22 mm bar just yet. Thanks for all the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.