Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advise for dash paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
As many of you know I have an aviation theme going for my car. I made an aluminum dash and spayed it with krylon wrinkle finish. It looked really cool, but after a week it still was soft and I could easily scrape it off with my finger nail. sad.gif I hadn't primed the metal and was told this was the problem by a couple of shade tree types. The can made no reccomendations for priming. So I had a piece of scrap aluminum left over and thought I try again so I scuffed it with scotch brite and primed it with acid etch prime then paint. Same issue two days later. Both parts I used a large electic space heater to dry. I like the look, but I don't want this to scrape off this easy. Any reccomendations? Someone said to bake it, but this thing is too big for my oven.
VaccaRabite
I used spray on rubberized undercoat on my dash and it looks great.
jonferns
Not sure on the wrinkle paint, unless you really rough up the surface and make sure its completely clean I would think most paints will have trouble adhering. That being said, If you decide to try a bedliner type paint, see if a shop that does truck beds can spray it, they probably know the procedure for prepping aluminum.
windforfun
How about a powder coating?
RFoulds
I've had the same issue every time I tried to use a wrinkle finish spray, or any textured spray can. I doubt it can harden to the extent it will need to be used on that part.
Rand
Looking forward to seeing your painted version. I like your custom dash.

My experience with spray can wrinkle finish is the same... Won't get hard. Also, it is a major dust trap that is hard to clean.

When it comes to rattle cans I've had better luck with Hammerite hammered finish. It's extremely tough and easy to wipe clean. Maybe not a true wrinkle, but a pretty cool finish:
IPB Image
RFoulds
Ditto on the hammer finish! and now there are a large variety of them to choose from.
McMark
I've got a can of Krylon wrinkle finish black that I've used on several projects and it always hardened up nicely in a decent amount of time.
jcd914
QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 16 2010, 09:46 AM) *

How about a powder coating?

McMark is in Sonoma and has a large over he uses to powder coat with.
Krieger
Thanks for the replies guys! I never thought about undercoating. I am going to look at my fenders where I have some. I never considered the wrinkle finish turning into a dust trap, but yeah and prolly the same for undercoating. I have seen the hammer finish and maybe I'll check that out...Is that Home Depot? Later today I think I'll try to bake my little sample piece that I have and see how that goes. Maybe if it works I can do a Take 'n Bake at Marks and give him so dough. I wan't to do something a little more unique than powdercoating. That may be overkill for this.
Krieger
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 16 2010, 11:35 AM) *

I've got a can of Krylon wrinkle finish black that I've used on several projects and it always hardened up nicely in a decent amount of time.

Are you spraying steel/aluminum? primed? heavy coats? Can says 2-3 heavy coats and I didn't make it run.
Krieger
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 16 2010, 09:56 AM) *

Looking forward to seeing your painted version. I like your custom dash.

My experience with spray can wrinkle finish is the same... Won't get hard. Also, it is a major dust trap that is hard to clean.

When it comes to rattle cans I've had better luck with Hammerite hammered finish. It's extremely tough and easy to wipe clean. Maybe not a true wrinkle, but a pretty cool finish:
IPB Image

Rand /RFould do you remember priming first?
RFoulds
Yes. Wipe on paint prep, gray automotive primer, then two lite finish coats
Rand
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 16 2010, 01:50 PM) *

Rand /RFould do you remember priming first?

I haven't painted aluminum with it, so don't have results to share on that. But if it was clean, I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

I have painted over steel with it though, no primer, and it holds up great. IIRC it has glass fibers in it. Tough as hell. This was "Hammerite Rust Cap." Awesome rust protection - I like it better than POR15.

Available at most places that carry a good selection of spray paint, local hardware store, Home Depot, some department stores.

Here's a blurb from their marketing:
HAMMERITE RUST CAP HAMMERED ENAMEL FINISH is a self-priming, rust preventive coating designed to provide long-lasting metal protection. It provides a decorative finish that resists corrosion and the damaging effects from moisture and severe weather. Formulated for interior and exterior use.
* For use on metal substrates.
* Can be applied directly over firm, rusty surfaces.
* For previously painted surfaces, apply HAMMERITE® RUST CAP® HAMMERED ENAMEL FINISH to a small area first to check adhesion and test for lifting or cracking.
7TPorsh
Duplicolor Truck bed Liner...not rubberized.

But if it's an aviation theme why are you wanting it?

That machine turned stuff on a Spyker is pretty cool
7TPorsh
Click to view attachment
mikey63
You could go for the brushed aluminum look. 220 grit is what I used for these pieces.
Krieger
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Nov 16 2010, 02:39 PM) *

Duplicolor Truck bed Liner...not rubberized.

But if it's an aviation theme why are you wanting it?

That machine turned stuff on a Spyker is pretty cool

Yeah, I don't like the undercoating. I went and looked at my fender wells. I love the look of turned/swirled metal, but I don't wan't something that will blind me when I'm going around corners at 175mph...plus it may scare the other drivers too much as I pass them.
Krieger
mikey your interior looks really sharp!.
mikey63
Hey thanks , really like what you're doing with the project car!!
Where abouts in SR are you....would love to see the project.

Mike
Krieger
Hey, I didn't realize your were nso close. I am by Spring Lake. Where are you?
mikey63
I'm just up the road in Windsor behind the high school ( Vintana Subdivision )

Mike
joefri187
Back to the wrinkle paint issue, I've used VHT brand and it's hard as a rock. I use a heat gun on larger items that won't fit in the oven to get the finish right and have had no problems...
StratPlayer
Have it powdercoated a wrinkle finish, Columbia Coatings sells a Harley D. wrinkle black satin powder. Here's a couple of items that I powedcoated using the HD wrinkle powder.
Sleepin
drooley.gif

Wow Jim! I like! wub.gif
Krieger
I like that powder coat! I'm not sure if I want to spend the dough though. My auto paint supplier can't supply the Hammertone this may be a california issue. I contacted and aviation supplier and they said the plastikote wrinkle finish has been dicontinued. But the VHT products I've seen and used.
Krieger
Bingo VHT wrinkle at Jegs, Summit, Kragen, Napa! But in California?
mikey63
Kragens has it and Home Depot.
Krieger
Kragen has it in town $8.99, Jegs 11.99 piratenanner.gif Gonna buy it and test it out first before I spray my lovely dash. Thanks
Krieger
Okay I got it and its on my test piece. It has to dry for 48 hours then it sposed to be baked on. I let y'all know.
silver74insocal
hi guys...which vht product are you testing? thanks, Dave
Mikey914
Probably a little late here, but just a heads up. I finish allot of aluminum. If you want anything to stick you really need to use at least an acid etch primer. It's about $11 a can, but with will help keep it form pealing and chipping later.
I use a chromate conversion for the aluminum we finish, but there is a PPG 2 stage aluminum prep system that works good too. Only the chromate is not good for you.
I'm interested to see how it holds up over time.
nsr-jamie
how about anodize? Never seen that before, could be interesting since its alloy....
Mikey914
The probem with anodizing is that it will scratch and can't be touched up.
Krieger
I have an acid etch primer that states it's good for aluminum/steel. The paint is VHT hight temperature wrinkle plus good for 350* Is this the right stuff?
Bills914-4
How about a Lite Sand Blasting With a Hi-Temp clear coat , here's a stainless
dash done this way ,
Bill D.
Krieger
That looks good! How reflective is it?
Eric_Shea
That guy has his priorities straight! Travel with the tool box in the front seat! LOL
nsr-jamie
Wow, now that is pretty cool !!! I have a tool box in the front seat area too....but infortunately my interior is not as nice looking as yours...but someday soon it should be there. That is one cool dash too, excellent work !!
Krieger
Updated: so with the VHT wrinkle paint I found it difficult to spray a large flat area. I tested this on a 12x16 piece of aluminum. Not really that large. As detailed in instructions I sprayed coats vertically, horizontally then diagonally. It looked great everything was wet, but when it dried then wrinkled you could see my last diagonal spray lines. Heating it did not bring out the remainder of the wrinkle. Thankfully it was a piece of scrap.
My conclusion:
The original krylon worked and looked better, but you should bake it 200* for 1 hour. This was not on can.
Use on smaller parts with some "shape to or on it"

I decided to go with SEM brand Trim Black. A great paint that is durable and satin finish. It came out very nice. It reminded me that I can spray well with a can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.