Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: exhaust????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jporsche914
i have a stock 1972 1.7l and have been looking for an ehaust system for it. I want the car to sound good and look good first of all and get a couple horspower out of the it. What exhaust would you guy pick? pictures of the exhaust would be great.

Ps Can you put 2.0L heat exchangers on a 1.7L

Thanks alot,
James
DrifterJay
for starters u can drop of the front end of the car.... biggrin.gif
DuckRyder
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ Apr 22 2004, 08:35 PM)
Ps Can you put 2.0L heat exchangers on a 1.7L

yes you can.

Define sound good. Loud? Not Loud?

I'd say the best is RacerChris' you can even have heat with it now.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/Super_Header.htm
rhodyguy
yes on the he's. you might give the Triad posting in "914 Resources, Parts, Products" forum a look. gives you another option other than the usual choises.

kevin
jporsche914
I dont want the exhaust too loud but just nice sounding
DrifterJay
bursch maybe? Acox914s sounds good...not too loud either...not nearly as loud as my stock muffler...dont ask...
Aaron Cox
thanks son.... i like my bursch... saving money fro a flowmaster
weird_looking_cactus
If your looking for style go with the monza exhaust its has 4 exhuast pipes that stick out. I just got mine on today it looks sweet and sounds sweet not to loud and not to quite.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Apr 23 2004, 12:13 AM)
If your looking for style go with the monza exhaust its has 4 exhuast pipes that stick out. I just got mine on today it looks sweet and sounds sweet not to loud and not to quite.

I too liked the sound of the monza, but they are not good for our engines... not for performance, not for reliability... pretty much anything is better than them...
DuckRyder
If you aren't going with Racer Chris', my opinion is that the oem 2.0l set up sounds pretty decent. and looks decent as well.

You can get a Dansk repo muffler. (I'd try to find it somewhere besides Performance if you want it any time soon)

I think you'd pick up a bit of HP over the 1.7 set up and it is louder, but not objectionably so by any strech if the imagination.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
jporsche914
i do really like the look of the monza. What do you mean that the exhaust is not reliable??Does it hurt the engine??????
I'd also like to hear on that last one,

I've got a monza, with 10k or more miles on it and no problems, not much rust and while it's loud its not too loud....

but what's the deal with it being bad for our engines???
Mueller
Monza's are the 70's and 80's answer to todays loud big diameter fart tubes that kids put on thier Hondas and Saturns...

they simply replace the factory part with a "flashy and louder" part that will not last as long.....yes, they do work, but you are not gaining anything from it..the ROI is not very positive with a part like this.......if makes you feel good, do it smile.gif

on a street car, if you are changing your exhuast 'cause you think you'll be gaining tons of HP, forget about it....you are better off spending your money on something else
Eric_Shea
That's a really cool stock 914 BTW smilie_pokal.gif
tat2dphreak
on monzas:

from Jake, from a post a few days ago:
tHose Monzas cost engines in alot of cases... Seen stockers with smoked exhaust seats from them. When they get old the baffles colapse and create huge backpressure

he's done the flows and dyno runs, and according to him, Monza is swahili for "SHIT"

they don't flow well... ever since I heard that AND had burnt valve guides... I'll stick with something else... but I DO love their sound... but I DO think they ARE LOUD... not for the faint at heart! I will miss that part about them biggrin.gif I love loud, but not at the expense of an engine or even a valve-job
jporsche914
To put stock 2.0L heat exchangers on a 1.7L what do you have to do to the exhaust system or do they just bolt on?? Will they add hp??
jporsche914
Is it only when the monza gets old and the baffles close when they start to make problems???Would 2.0L heat exchangers help with the back pressure problem????
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ Apr 23 2004, 12:05 PM)
To put stock 2.0L heat exchangers on a 1.7L what do you have to do to the exhaust system or do they just bolt on?? Will they add hp??

2.0 L H/E's Will BOLT up to a 1.7 engine... but you have to change muffler too.. you can't use a 1.7 muffler with 2.0 H/Es

2.0 H/Es *may* help performace a little... but not much... esp on a 1.7...

Stainless Steel H/Es will flow even better than 2.0s...

Is it only when the monza gets old and the baffles close when they start to make problems???Would 2.0L heat exchangers help with the back pressure problem????

I don't know if the monza is the ONLY one with the problem, I've just heard it's the worst with the problem...

and 2.0 H/Es (or stainless) will not help with the back pressure much, if at all...
jporsche914
What do you guys think about the manta exhaust system. I looks like the monza. Does any one know of a problem with this setup?? Does it sound good??
dinomium
I think that if you really want the four tip and love that sound, you need to find the real deal. The ANSA set up is trick! I had one on my 75 way back. every thing else died BUT that muffler...
http://www.classicgarage.com/ansaquadchrome.html for the 1.7 or 1.8!!
;^)
nebreitling
2.0 SS HE's with a Bursch seems to be the hot ticket with heat. you may grab a couple hp. if you don't care about heat, just get a header (mo' power still).
DuckRyder
You also need the 2.0 muffler hanger to use the 2.0 muffler and HE's.
TheCabinetmaker
I had what I think was the ansa in the seventies. The tips angled up and were cut on an angle too. They sit under the valance nicely, but still had to cut the valance on the right side. It sounded so sweet. The only problem was the tip rusted off, and it wouldn't pass inspection anymore. I replaced it with a Manta. I hated that pos from the minute I put it on. It stuck out too far, and made the car sound like a beetle.
dinomium
Yes back then, we didn't have the choices we do now! The Triad or Tangerine for preformance or the Bursch for value and ease of install.
I really think this whole "information superhighway" is going to catch on and be BIG you can quote me on that!
happy11.gif
IS it happy hour YET???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.