Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 944
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zy84
I am considering purchasing an 88 944. I was told by the owner that the timing belt broke and when it did it bent the valve at the #1 position. The car will start but you can hear the knock. He has already replaced the timing belt, balance shaft belt, and water pump. The valve needs to be replaced.

My question to you is how expensive a repair job is that. The guy said it should be about a $500 repair.

All else works fine. A/C, power windows, sun roof, and the guy has tons of extra parts.

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks,

Z.Y.
VaccaRabite
unless you are getting the car for an absolute song, I'd walk.

If the PO was dumb enough to put on a new belt with a known busted valve, who knows what else he has done.

Zach
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you do it yourself, then 500.00. If you leave it to the mechanics then more like 1500.00. You will need to replace the head gasket kit the valve and maybe have the head looked at. It is actually a fairly easy repair but be prepared in the worst case to spend the 1500 bucks!!
We repair the results of the broken timing belts here all of the time and the job is usually a 1500 dollar one. 1988 is a good year though so you are in luck if you can buy the car for about 1500 bucks!

QUOTE(zy84 @ Nov 16 2010, 04:04 PM) *

I am considering purchasing an 88 944. I was told by the owner that the timing belt broke and when it did it bent the valve at the #1 position. The car will start but you can hear the knock. He has already replaced the timing belt, balance shaft belt, and water pump. The valve needs to be replaced.

My question to you is how expensive a repair job is that. The guy said it should be about a $500 repair.

All else works fine. A/C, power windows, sun roof, and the guy has tons of extra parts.

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks,

Z.Y.

Andyrew
Condition, Miles, price?

Does the guy have a spare head?

Are you up to the task of a really difficult timing belt job? Have you done an interference timing belt before?

All questions that need to be answered before we tell you its a good buy or not...

Most likely, if your asking this question its NOT a good buy...
zy84
Thanks guys I think I'll go ahead and pass. Doesn't sound like a bad deal for someone with the know how. The guys asking $2,500 and it is negotiable. Tons of extra parts. Goodlooking black paint, nice interior. Did not jot down the miles though.

Thanks for the responses.
Andyrew
I wouldnt pay more than 1200. And I know how to do the work.
racerbvd
QUOTE(zy84 @ Nov 16 2010, 05:39 PM) *

Thanks guys I think I'll go ahead and pass. Doesn't sound like a bad deal for someone with the know how. The guys asking $2,500 and it is negotiable. Tons of extra parts. Goodlooking black paint, nice interior. Did not jot down the miles though.

Thanks for the responses.

$2,500 is high unless it has some really nice bits (like sport seats, LSD, Forged rims) and the 88 has higher compession Pistons which is why racers are always looking for 88 engines..
mein_tag
That is really high. Since the guy has been running it I wouldn't be surprised If it has damaged the piston.
I'd walk.
blitZ
I see running 924/944 on Craigslist constantly for that kind of money. I'd look for a better candidate.
Twise
PASS
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Twise @ Nov 17 2010, 11:30 AM) *

PASS

agree.gif

There's a couple of good threads on here about 944's. If you get a good one, they can be a good car. Problem is, most aren't good anymore and cost waaaaaaaaaaaaay more to fix then they'd ever be worth.

Save your money and buy the most perfect one you can if that's what you really want.
Drums66
QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 17 2010, 04:48 AM) *

I see running 924/944 on Craigslist constantly for that kind of money. I'd look for a better candidate.

thumb3d.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 17 2010, 04:48 AM) *

You still need to plan on spending an immediate 1500-2000.00 more on any 944 or 924S after purchase unless you are presented with recent repair bills from a reputable shop. These cars are wonderful....and wonderfully notorious for the belts snapping. One valve bent is a blessing when a belt goes. I had a customers car a couple years ago that had 6 valves bent, much more typical.

If you find a car that had the belt done 2 years ago and only has 5000 miles since the belt was done....replace the belt anyway. If the water pump was not done recently, plan on doing that along with the belts. The balance shaft belts are just as important as a timing belt . Assume nothing on these cars.

Always remember :

Water pump every 60,000 and the belts every 30,000 unless it sits. then do it sooner. When the clutch goes, put a atandard clutch in, not the rubber centerd one. It is a fie setup but does wear prematurely, and IMO offers no advantage over a " normal " spring clutch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.