Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Lap around the Original Watkins Glen GP Circuit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
Most people know about the Watkins Glen Race Track where the US F-1 Grand Prix was held and where the NASCAR boys hold one of their two road course races every year, but very few know about the Original Circuit. The Original Circuit was used from 1948 - 1952, started in Downtown Watkins Glen and wound through the surrounding hills on public roads for 6.6 Miles.

Ride with me on the Original Circuit. I also should be on the Do Not Rent TO list at every Rental car company as I buried the speedometer 4 or 5 times on this lap driving.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYTjsBh9494

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Cool smile.gif
Rleog
Cool, T.C. Thanks for the reference. I'll take the loop next time I go to The Glen. The roadway section from the first stop sign to the RR tracks probably looked like it did when it was raced upon.

When you first noticed that GM (?) car setting on the left shoulder, did you shit your pants? (Radar!)

Nice loop. Very little traffic.
carr914
QUOTE(Rleog @ Nov 17 2010, 08:54 AM) *

Cool, T.C. Thanks for the reference. I'll take the loop next time I go to The Glen. The roadway section from the first stop sign to the RR tracks probably looked like it did when it was raced upon.

When you first noticed that GM (?) car setting on the left shoulder, did you shit your pants? (Radar!)

Nice loop. Very little traffic.

The Circuit has a lot of shit your pants areas. The area before the School House Corner was icy ( it had snowed a few days before) and there is a FedEx truck coming towards and he saw that I was drifting. The area around Cornetts Stone Bridge is tricky ( in the 1948 Junior Prix, Denver Cornett flipped his MG into the creek. He rolled it over, borrowed parts and was ready to race in the Grand Prix - he finished 7th). The top of the hill following the Stone Bridge is a very hard left turn that is way off camber. The Railroad straight is basically the same except it is paved now and just a few years ago you could get really airborne - to the South (right side of the car), just beyond the trees is a sheer cliff that drops to bottom of the Glen. Friars Curve & Big Bend are all downhill ( there are are signs for trucks to use Low Gear) Yes I thought that might have been a Cop, but damn I was doing a Buck-Thirty at that point. Millken's Corner coming back into downtown is a sharp left and I have no idea how the cars of that era ever got slowed down for it. In 1948 William Milliken over-turned his Bugatti here, he crawled out and the crowd went Nuts. Bill is still alive, 97 Years young, lives in Niagara Falls and drives down to Watkins Glen a few times a year. The races were stopped after 1952 as there spectators killed when a car went through some hay bales.

Click to view attachment

Before you take a Lap of the Original, a must see is the International Motor Racing Research Center. It is located at 610 S Decatur St. It is a walk through history and they have free maps of the Original Circuit

After your lap, Stop for a bite at Mr Chicken, where it's Chicken, Chicken, Chicken all the time.

Click to view attachment

Watkins Glen would be a Great Place for a Northeast Ramble - Great back roads, great history, lots of other things to do - Seneca Lake is right there (one of the deepest lakes in the country, over 600 feet deep), lots of Wineries in the area, Antiques shops, etc
Cupomeat
I completely agree that it would be a perfect location for a GTG!

I go to WG at least once a year for DE events at the track and I LOVE the area...

not sure about Mr. Chicken, he has a bad rap for keeping you in WG one day longer... barf.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Nov 17 2010, 10:19 AM) *

not sure about Mr. Chicken, he has a bad rap for keeping you in WG one day longer... barf.gif

I never got sick @ Mr Chicken, but I do like Curly's Chicken House better. And if you are down in Elmira and want one of the best Hot Dogs on the Planet, go to M&M's Red Hots mmm chowtime.gif
Cupomeat
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 17 2010, 10:26 AM) *

I never got sick @ Mr Chicken, but I do like Curly's Chicken House better. And if you are down in Elmira and want one of the best Hot Dogs on the Planet, go to M&M's Red Hots mmm chowtime.gif

Thanks for the tip on the Hot dog place. I've eaten at Mr. Chicken, and been fine as well.

I particularly liked the "Crooked Rooster" pub, great staff, food and drinks!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 17 2010, 07:26 AM) *

"I never got sick @ Mr Chicken". Oh, THERE'S a backhanded compliment if ever I saw one!

The Cap'n
MDG
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 17 2010, 09:41 AM) *

Watkins Glen would be a Great Place for a Northeast Ramble - Great back roads, great history, lots of other things to do - Seneca Lake is right there (one of the deepest lakes in the country, over 600 feet deep), lots of Wineries in the area, Antiques shops, etc

100%

Great scenery, fantastic people and tons of twisty roads.

as far as Mr. Chicken goes, govern yourself accordingly.
Spoke
Great lap. I switched back and forth between your map and video to keep track of where you were.

If I assume correctly, you did this at speed with one hand holding the camera. Quite impressive.

I wonder how many people go there and run the old course?
tomeric914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Nov 17 2010, 10:40 AM) *

I particularly liked the "Crooked Rooster" pub, great staff, food and drinks!

Shameless plug if I ever saw one. Conveniently located right next to the Watkins Glen Police Station. drunk.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 17 2010, 09:41 AM) *

Watkins Glen would be a Great Place for a Northeast Ramble -

I'll bring my race car if there's a track day. smile.gif
I'd like a chance to get into the teens on the long course. (under 2:20)
driving.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 17 2010, 07:50 PM) *

If I assume correctly, you did this at speed with one hand holding the camera. Quite impressive.

Yes, Left hand on the wheel, camera in my Right driving.gif

I would never do it if I didn't know the course very well. But everytime I go home I do a few laps and I have a photographic memory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.