Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear triangle/donut jacking point replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All
I did some digging into the nooks and crannies of my engine compartment/hell holes (both sides) when I was installing the new Rich Johnson mount. It not perfect, but way better than I expected it to be. The one thing that is showing wear is the rear passenger side triangle/jacking donut. It appears that at some point the void inside of the donut may have been packed with mud/wet debris. The triangle is solid, except for the area directly under/inside the donut (see pic).
I am thinking of just replacing the entire triangle with the Restoration Design piece. Is the original just spot welded to the car? Anyone have any tips for the easiest removal (or even some pics)?

Thanks a million – beerchug.gif
Scott S
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The original donut is just spot welded to the triangle. We sell the donut and the triangle with the donut. When I original contracted with lansing steel to have this part made it was because the factory never offered it nor even included it with their floorpan!!! It was one of those parts mysteriously forgotten. Ours is a perfect match and direly needed for any correct restoration. Needless to say the rights sell four to one as compared to the left driver's ones.

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Nov 17 2010, 01:03 PM) *

Hi All
I did some digging into the nooks and crannies of my engine compartment/hell holes (both sides) when I was installing the new Rich Johnson mount. It not perfect, but way better than I expected it to be. The one thing that is showing wear is the rear passenger side triangle/jacking donut. It appears that at some point the void inside of the donut may have been packed with mud/wet debris. The triangle is solid, except for the area directly under/inside the donut (see pic).
I am thinking of just replacing the triangle with the Restoration Design piece. Is the original just spot welded to the car? Anyone have any tips for the easiest removal (or even some pics)?

Thanks a million – beerchug.gif
Scott S

Ferg
Scott, I could swing by Carquip and see if they have the 74 out back still. Maybe just drill out the spot welds from that shell?

Ferg
McMark
It's just spot welded. A wire wheel will clear away the crap and let you find each weld. Then it's just a matter of drilling and chiseling the old metal away. Drill holes for welds in the new piece and rosette weld the new one on. Not a tough procedure, except for the working upside down aspect. wacko.gif
Scott S
Thanks a million for the offer Ferg - but that is way to much work! RD has them new for $70 or so.

Mark - that is perfect. I will pick up a spot weld cutter, clean it off and give it a go.

After seeing Mr Shea's pics, the welding upside down thing scars me a bit. Gotta make sure and cover up good (and remove my wedding ring!)

Thanks again!!
Scott S
McMark
(and remove my wedding ring!)

icon8.gif Don't remind me of that image.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.