Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 EFi to Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FMathews3060
My son purchased a 2.0 1974 914. It has an EFI now, but our thoughts are to convert it to a dual webber. I had one years ago and thought since we need an EFI Module rebuilt to start we might as well convert it over. He is in an Auto Program at a Vo-Tech and wants to do this. All help from experience would be appreciated from what size webber, where to buy, and installation. If we might be forgetting something, please fill us in. I have heard these engines run better at a certain fuel push...fill in on that as well.
VaccaRabite
Fix the FI.

The practice you get will be worth more then backing to carbs, and for a stock car you get better performance from the stock FI.

Carbs are great when you start hotrodding the engine, but for a stock motor you won't be as happy with them.
Zach
underthetire
agree.gif

Or if he really wants to learn FI, swap it over to megasquirt.
bfrymire
I am going to respond to your request from someone who did this.

I had a 1.8l with poorly running EFI. Like you want to, I went to carbs. The car felt stronger, and made a lot of noise. Gas mileage was not that good, starting was harder, and you had to really push on the motor.

I found a good running motor with complete and running EFI. Swapped that back into the car:

1. Started easily.
2. Better gas mileage
3. Actually felt stronger in daily driving environment.

So, if it's a stock motor, fix the EFI. Just my experience.

Hope that helps!

-- brett

benalishhero
Yep fix the EFI.
cwpeden
From a former Carb guy. Keep the FI.

I loved my carbed engine though. At WOT it sounded great and pulled real good.
The engine was a big bore on a 1.7 came to 1.9L. Bigger valves, porting, polishing, high compression, cam and 40mm Dellortos. etc...but that was 16 yrs ago.

If I recall, the car was coarse, hard to drive, and loud. Didnt seem that way when I was in my 20's. It was cool cool.gif

I have since built a 73 2.0 with FI and love it. Power through out the revs and way more driveable.

My vote is for FI.......but my carbs are still sitting in a box in the shop happy11.gif

Rand
This has been discussed to death here for a decade. The bottom line real world from experience answers always come out the same:
DON'T just swap to carbs.

There are times to switch to carbs... When a build is planned, the right cam is a part of the picture, etc.

Just swapping to carbs on a stock engine is usually a hack. Swapping to carbs just because you don't understand the FI (and its benefits over carbs) is even more of a hack.

The FI on these things is not rocket science. You say "we need an EFI Module rebuilt." First question is, how do you know that? Doesn't sound typical on these things. Maybe the collective here could help you get this thing fixed in the most efficient way if you shared some more info/symptoms. You have discovered the largest source of 914 knowledge on the planet in this forum membership. Take advantage of it. smile.gif
SGB
I would swap my 73 2.0 (dual 40 webers, high rise intakes, webcam brand camshaft, ssi brand stainless headers, triad exhaust, mahle "euro" piston/cylinders and mallory optical dizzy- pretty much the complete package) for an equivalent FI car I think. Correctly prepared, it will sound better, run smoother, and have almost as much power over a broader range of RPMs.

Conversion aint cheap either. About a grand in carbs, linkage, manifolds, and air cleaners- another grand in exhaust. The cam and lifters were only about 400 i think, but a bit of effort to get in there.

Do carbs for a track car, or if the whole FI and exhaust are wasted, maybe. And if the class wants to really learn some good stuff, well, tear into it! When I got my car, it had webers, but it was torqueless until I did the rest.

My 2 pesos...
jim_hoyland
There's a lot of information on the world.com board. There are some good books out there that help a novice as well:

1. Tech Tips 700 has detailed info on how the FI works and trouble shooting. This is specific to the 914

2. How to Tune & Modify Bosch Fuel Injection is another good book, but not aimed specifically at the 914. Best part is how to modify the existing compants to increase HP.
JmuRiz
Wow SBG, sounds like your motor is the brother of mine (mine has a crane ignition). I know everyone loves stock FI, but I sure do like my engine when it's running well.

Really no way to go wrong, if modifying extensively co carbs if street up to 2056, go with FI.
r_towle
If you and your son would like to swap to carbs, many people have done it and many have had no issues, lots of fun, and a cool sound.

Try this link for a complete carb conversion kit
www.cbperformance.com

You should look for Weber 40MM carbs or Dell 45MM carbs, both will work great, but Webers are slightly easier to get parts like jets and venturis for.

Before you choose, check in with your local car inspection station and learn the law...some states require you to retain the original setup.

Rich
tradisrad
I am happy with the FI. Once it is sorted out it can be trouble free. Do you have the stock injection? It is d-jet. The "brain" (efi module) does not commonly fail. You can pull the connector off of the brain and ohm out the FI components. DO NOT ohm out the brain. Here is word file that tells you what to ohm and the values to expect. Fuel Injection It's easy to check all of the components this way. Also, check all grounds including the transmission to chassis, FI grounds on engine block.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.