Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Master Switch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
Shopping at my local Harbour Freight type place and I saw this. It says : for top post batteries. Attach to negative battery post. 1/4 turn disconnects battery. rated 100 amps continuous, 600 amps cranking. Includes ATM-20 amp fuse for power bypass.

I always thought you disconnected the positive battery leed? And if you wanted to bypass to supply power on "all the time equipment" why fuse link the negative side?

It was about $3.00
ein 6er
yeah i thought it was the pos. side too. i got the bosch switch from PP and i have it hooked up on the pos. side. confused24.gif
Mark Henry
Pos or neg doesn't matter, but I've always put them on the + side

I use this top of the line sucker in my bug. It doubles as an anti-theft device.
Mark Henry
Oh yah...Harbour Freight type place...Princess Auto, my favorite store. wink.gif biggrin.gif
GWN7
Yep, Princess Auto. Their headquarters is about 5 min from me. I picked up a set of 1/2" extensions (18", 24", 30" & 36") I have no idea what I'm going to use them for, but I have them incase. biggrin.gif
tdgray
Use those cutoffs on my MGA (key type).

Helps when you can't lock the doors >>> no door handles or locks. Just keeps those morons that are just smart enough to figure out how to start the thing from stealing it ar15.gif

Oh yea. Positive side for me. smile.gif
blabla914
Generally racer types switch the positive side. This way in the event a main power wire or powered component becomes shorted to the chassis you can kill the power.
A lot of restoration types put this type of switch on the ground just to keep accessories from draining the battery during long periods that the car doesn't get driven.
Seems to me disconnecting the battery from either the + or the - would stop current flow through the battery.

Kelly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.