Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jporsche914
I have been thinking about purchasing guages for my car. What would be the most usefull guages for a 914? i was thinking of adding 2 or 3 guages.
Thanks,
James
nebreitling
my 2 cents,

-add a cylinder head temp gauge

-replace oil temp gauge with something that has numbers on it
jporsche914
what should those temperatures be??
jporsche914
I was also thinking of adding a air fuel mixture guage and or a oil pressure guage.
nebreitling
yup, those would be good as well. you can use a 911 tri-gauge for a few of those...

what i've heard from the experts, of which i'm not:

oil temps should ideally be 190-200 light cruising. above 230 or so not good.

head temps should be 325-ish light cruising. as high as 400 for really aggressive jaunts, uphills, etc. higher than 410-ish means trouble.

maybe someone who knows more will jump in.
Bleyseng
911 combo gauge with oil temp and pressure. Gotta come up with a gas gauge if you switch that in. A cht gauge is handy I guess but a A/F gauge? most of them are a joke and worthless unless its a wideband.

Geoff
machina
Dual CHT and dual EGT, like a dyno in your car, or so I hear.

Going to be adding them before my new motor goes in.

dr
Joe Ricard
Head temp is an absolute must. Only gauge I had in the cabin. Drove like a mad man across the U.S. and relied on Head temp to slow me down. Defninately saved my engine from damage. If you seen the pics of my cylinder heads holding 10 lbs of crud over them you would get a head temp gauge. I had an oil pressure gauge in the engine comp. I checked it each time I filled up rock solid never a problem.

oil pressure idiot light only goes on when you really have a problem lower than 7 psi. better shut it down quick. Too many gauges can also distract from the pay attention to the road thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.