Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking to buy a 74 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tommy
I'm looking at a 74 that the owner says has a 2.0 engine in it (not a 1.8 bored out, a real 2.0 from another car). However he said the FI from the 1.8 was used when the 2.0 was installed. Is that possible? I thought the 2.0 engine had a different FI and computer? Maybe this guy is mistaken? The car is a good deal otherwise (almost rust free!) and it's on the west coast (I'm on the east coast) so I can't go look at it. I don't have a picture of the engine (yet).
jporsche914
Yes they are different fuel injection sytems. the 1.8L came with the L-jet fuel injection and the 2.0 with the d-jet fuel injection. Does the car run?
Gint
IIRC, Mueller did it... Was that the car he put the MegaSquirt on?
jporsche914
The guy must be wrong i dont think it is possible due to the 1.8L haveing less compression. which would make the computer tell it to add less fuel to the engine and crap like that so i an not sure if it would work on a 2.0L but i bet he is mistaken.
Tommy
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ Apr 22 2004, 06:06 PM)
Yes they are different fuel injection sytems. the 1.8L came with the L-jet fuel injection and the 2.0 with the d-jet fuel injection. Does the car run?

The seller said it runs great, the conversion was done 5 years ago and he has put 50K miles on it since. The 2.0 was installed by a porsche mechanic. Sounds like it has to have the 2.0 FI.

What do you guys think:

74 914 (1.8 originally, 2.0 installed) with about 50K on the motor, about 200K on the car. Birsch exhaust, nice Fuchs alloys, good paint (quality job done about 6 years ago), minimal rust (a little in the rear trunk, but minor), no appearence group, very well maintained, driven daily and everything works. Interior is good, one crack on dash. The seller is asking $3K.
jporsche914
Sound like a great deal to me. what color is the paint?nice 2.0L are hard to come by.
Have a qualified VW mechanic check it out before purchasing. it is cheap insurance to make sure nothing is mechanicaly wrong.
Gint
Sounds like a decent deal to me. Especially in N.J.
Bleyseng
Why couldn't the Ljet work as Porsche used it on the 912E. I have seen two 914's with 2.0L motors and Ljet, with alittle tinkering its fine.

Geoff
SirAndy
yupp, don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
as long as you swap ALL the parts over, it should be fine ...

i run a 1.7 D-Jet on my 1.8 and it runs great!
Andy
Toast
He would have to use 2.0 runners from the plenum. Since the 1.8 is L-Jet (Air Flow controlled), it would make sense that the system would automatically compensate for higher flow assuming that the higher flow rate 2.0 injectors were used (or a slight bump in the fuel pressure).

The only draw back that I can think of would be at WOT. Since the vane air flow unit was sized for the 1.8 cfm requirement, it is feasible that it would restrict air flow at WOT with the 2.0 cfm requirement.

Assuming no leaks, it is the better injection system.

That's my thoughts.

Yeah, I know, who cares. <_<
Mueller
yes, the L-jet will work fine on the 2.0 motor, the intake tubes need to be 2.0 (or modifed)

my 2.0 had higher compression than stock and I never had problems with it, thing rocked pretty good for a 2.0, I also kept the stock 1.8 injectors, they'll flow enough for a semi-stock engine

the air vane is not restrictive, it's the throttle body that would be restrictive....Toast is correct about the vacuum leaks, I made delrin plugs and filled up the holes in the intake boot that went to the EGR and the oil filler neck
(you need to run an oil catch tank similar to carbs if doing this)
Mark Henry
If you ask nice maybe a member would do a PPI for you. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.