Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The start of a beautiful build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Madswede
Posted this a bit ago on ClubNARP. Meant to post this here in World too:

So after some really odd timing and minor hiccups in the shipping department, The Phoenix (my 73 teener that I used to call "Chumbawumba" in honor of its insistence on running on 3 cylinders) is physically on its way to DeLand, Florida to be reborn as a 3.2 /6 with steel GT flares and perhaps some surprising other little goodies.

Series9 is doing the build. Should get there around T-Day. Good holiday to start this sort of project methinks.

We are planning a long-term build, most likely over a year. In the meantime, I'm sure we can all keep up with the progress via Series9 webcam once it's there and things get going.

I am very happy to be on this road right now, and am looking forward to showing her off to everyone. It will be worth the wait, trust me. beer.gif shades.gif aktion035.gif

- Nelson
okieflyr
QUOTE(Madswede @ Nov 24 2010, 12:53 PM) *

Posted this a bit ago on ClubNARP. Meant to post this here in World too:

So after some really odd timing and minor hiccups in the shipping department, The Phoenix (my 73 teener that I used to call "Chumbawumba" in honor of its insistence on running on 3 cylinders) is physically on its way to DeLand, Florida to be reborn as a 3.2 /6 with steel GT flares and perhaps some surprising other little goodies.

Series9 is doing the build. Should get there around T-Day. Good holiday to start this sort of project methinks.

We are planning a long-term build, most likely over a year. In the meantime, I'm sure we can all keep up with the progress via Series9 webcam once it's there and things get going.

I am very happy to be on this road right now, and am looking forward to showing her off to everyone. It will be worth the wait, trust me. beer.gif shades.gif aktion035.gif

- Nelson

That's cool Nelson, I know this one has been on the "someday" list.
Looking foward to living vicariously through your build with Joe! popcorn[1].gif
Ferg
Staying Phoenix?

Sweet Nelson, looking forward to the build.

smile.gif
Madswede
Yep, staying with Phoenix. Black and yellow accents, haven't quite made up my mind on the paint yet but there's plenty o' time.

- Nelson
EdwardBlume
Cool... drooley.gif
carr914
Good Luck, maybe I can pay it a visit while it's here in Florida on Vacation, Transformation
Series9
She's here.....

Madswede
Nice! I just showed that webcam shot to Liz and Nico. We're at the pub for the annual football post gorging brewery break-in. Been looking at lots of pix of others' cars to get ideas. I'm giddy, and it's not the turkey. Or the beer. beerchug.gif

- Nelson
Series9
From this morning:

Madswede
Just had to add an update pic or two from over on ClubNARP. First flare is on. welder.gif aktion035.gif
Madswede
... and here's a to-do list I found entertaining. It's moving right along! beerchug.gif
Madswede
This is also a nice shot of the flares fixed with sheet metal screws before cutting/welding began:
PanelBilly
No fare! You need to go back to community college and take a couple of quarters of autobody. Then work on the car yourself making lots of mistakes along the way, before you can earn a car like this. It can't just be bougt.
Madswede
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 6 2011, 06:49 PM) *

No fare! You need to go back to community college and take a couple of quarters of autobody. Then work on the car yourself making lots of mistakes along the way, before you can earn a car like this. It can't just be bougt.

Heheh, yeah - I've heard that one before. rolleyes.gif Nah, I've decided to take the "go to university for six years, work my ass off for 15 more, save up the $ and have someone far better than I'd ever be do it for me without mistakes" route to owning a car like this. I know, it's screwy.gif ... but that's how I roll!

I ain't the "Sane Swede" ya know. laugh.gif beerchug.gif

- Nelson
Madswede
I haven't updated this in a while. Joe's been real busy out there at Series9. You can see progress on James Ellisor's 3.2L as well as several other cars coming and going all the time on his webcam (www.914rs.com). He told me he actually got a tan on his arms from the UV from all the welder.gif on my car in the last four days. Now I see he's got an assistant scraping the bottom of my car. Nice! bye1.gif beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Madswede
I haven't updated this in ages. Here are a couple recent pics of the car in primer:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
There will be much more to come, and to talk about ... the motor will be a very special Series9 breathed-upon 3.2L of fury. aktion035.gif
Madswede
Joe posted these pics in the main build thread over on NARP, but they're so damn purty I had to post them here as well. shades.gif
Click to view attachment
and...
Click to view attachment

She's going to be twin-plug as obvious from the pics, distributorless ignition (haven't decided on the computer yet but it will be custom-tuned obviously), GE-60 cams, JE pistons at 10.5:1 and very possibly ITBs. And don't get me started on the oil cooler arrangement, tail lights, paint ... yeah, it's going to be dead sexy. drooley.gif Series9 doesn't mess around.
Madswede
And just 'cos, here's the Fuchs that are going on. The rubber is old and will be removed, but at least you can see how damn fat they are. aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
...and...
Click to view attachment

w00t.gif The tape measure is lined up on the left with how far out the tire goes. It's just about 10" wide by my guestimation. EDIT: Those are 245/50-16s on the rears.
MDG
QUOTE(Madswede @ Sep 23 2011, 06:11 PM) *

Joe posted these pics in the main build thread over on NARP, but they're so damn purty I had to post them here as well. shades.gif
Click to view attachment
and...
Click to view attachment

I was just looking at these in the NARP thread. Beautiful!
Series9
I thank Nelson for the kind words, but we must all remember that nothing this nice can happen without funding.

Nelson's enthusiasm for this car and his belief in my abilities has made this possible.

Thanks Brother....
Madswede
I have dreams-both literally and figuratively-about driving my cars. I follow my dreams. I believe if ya do that, it's worth more than money itself. But I acknowledge your thanks. beerchug.gif
Madswede
With the main thread over on NARP I'm not sure how many people get a chance to see this amazing build that Joe O'Brien (Series9) is doing. So here's a few more pictures of what it's looking like now that there is a bit of light at the end of this tunnel.

shades.gif wub.gif

Click to view attachment
and...
Click to view attachment
and...
Click to view attachment

She's getting there! 3,2l twin-plug, 10.5:1 with Daugherty racing cams, JE Pistons, nikasil cylinders (originals were alusil the discovery of which started the snowball rolling), and PMO ITBs all managed by a Megasquirt-3 DFI system. aktion035.gif
rktmn247
That looks amazing! Really interested in all the details of that EFI setup. Thanks for posting over here. I changed my e-mail address and can no longer see the main forum on the NARP site. Limited response on my request for account help. What a great build!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.