Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to hide keys on a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Without telling us where the spare key is hidden on your 914, where are good locations?
idea.gif

I can think of:

Jack post receiver behind the black cover
Magnetic key safe stuck to the engine bay lower firewall

More ideas pleez...
popcorn[1].gif

Sleepin
I have found hidden keys in two 914s I have parted out... Inside front turn signal and a magnet in engine bay. I guess both places are easily accessible with a screwdriver.
Elliot Cannon
I hide them in my pocket. If I hide them anywhere else, I'll forget where they are.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 24 2010, 08:39 PM) *

I hide them in my pocket. If I hide them anywhere else, I'll forget where they are.

You would even forget them there if it weren't for medication! poke.gif lol3.gif
bandjoey
Wire tie one to the jackstand av-943.gif

or one to the handbrake cable under the car on the firewall.
tradisrad
I need to put one on my car now that I have a car that locks. I think I will explore hiding the key near the muffler heat shield or in th wheel well
r_towle
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Nov 24 2010, 10:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 24 2010, 08:39 PM) *

You would even forget them there if it weren't for medication! poke.gif lol3.gif

I have to search clothing if I have not driven it for a while just to find the keys.
I never leave a set of keys in any of my cars...to easy to find.

Rich
windforfun
You've got to be kidding.
Borderline
I usually leave them in the ignition. That way I know where they are and they are always ready to go. The starter portion of the switch doesn't work. Anybody that wants the car will have to find the starter button. dry.gif
patssle
QUOTE(Borderline @ Nov 24 2010, 09:02 PM) *

I usually leave them in the ignition. That way I know where they are and they are always ready to go. The starter portion of the switch doesn't work. Anybody that wants the car will have to find the starter button. dry.gif

Same here, though I don't leave the keys in the car. If a thief can figure out how to start the car, drive a manual, and figure out the shifting pattern, then have at it. I don't lock my doors, nothing in the car to steal.

Well....I couldn't lock my doors if I wanted, locks don't work!
'73-914kid
I have an aftermarket battery tray in my car.. if I were to put a spare key somewhere, it would be taped on the under side of it..
Mark Henry
I think Jeff is planning on starting a 914 chop shop.wink.gif
markb
I just carry a spare key in my wallet. smile.gif
Valy
Maybe this is to classic but I'm old fashioned.
I hide it in the hell hole.
jd74914
Is this wrong-My 914 is so hard to start (because of wiring issues I have not yet fixed), that I tell people that if they can start it and drive it out of a parking space they can have it. Many have tried, none have succeeded yet. laugh.gif

My car has a trunk solenoid with a hidden external momentary switch so I actually hide the key in the trunk when my dad or brothers want to borrow the car.
Gustl
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 25 2010, 04:31 AM) *

Magnetic key safe stuck to the engine bay lower firewall

magnetic key safe stuck behind the rocker panel
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 25 2010, 03:43 PM) *

Is this wrong-My 914 is so hard to start (because of wiring issues I have not yet fixed), that I tell people that if they can start it and drive it out of a parking space they can have it. Many have tried, none have succeeded yet. laugh.gif

My car has a trunk solenoid with a hidden external momentary switch so I actually hide the key in the trunk when my dad or brothers want to borrow the car.

I do the same thing. Trunk release is under the car by the muffler... Key is in the trunk.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 24 2010, 07:57 PM) *

I need to put one on my car now that I have a car that locks. I think I will explore hiding the key near the muffler heat shield or in th wheel well

Magnetic box up under any outer wheel well (fronts are easiest to access, fixed with aluminized tape inside front TS buckets behind lenses (requires phillips-head screwdriver, tape keeps in place & reflectivity for TS), taped inside jacking doughnuts, or tape/mag. box inside the ends of the steering rack cover pan or up by the sails/outer rear fender space, ends of rocker covers & F&R valances (where open, or need a screwdriver to open the end).

Anywhere near the muffler & heat shield, engine, etc. tends to be too hot at times, & with Murphy's Law - that will be just when you need it. dry.gif

I used to use the F pass side wheel well, but the undercoating on mine didn't allow for a good magnetic hold nor tape adhesion.

I found it best to use a metal key blank cut to Valet (rather than the Porsche plastic head ones) so that it was cheaper, flatter & indistinguishable from a VW key if lost (I figured they'd look less for a VW than if a "Porsche" was on the key biggrin.gif ).
Tom_T
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 25 2010, 03:43 PM) *

..... but can THEY get it started!!?? laugh.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 24 2010, 09:24 PM) *

I think Jeff is planning on starting a 914 chop shop.wink.gif

av-943.gif

Now we know why he sold his Cremescicle, or maybe he's planning to get it back!!?? lol-2.gif
RJMII
I just leave it in the ignition. confused24.gif
dirk9141973
beerchug.gif
QUOTE(Borderline @ Nov 24 2010, 09:02 PM) *

What the hell steal it I will find it on the side of the road they will hate the ride!! run out of gas because they would never look under the hood!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 24 2010, 08:00 PM) *

agree.gif

While we're at it, can people also list were they hide their spare house keys? blink.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 29 2010, 10:19 AM) *

agree.gif

While we're at it, can people also list were they hide their spare house keys? blink.gif

If you don't mind, if you were to have a password for your banking account, what would it be?
Tom_T
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Nov 29 2010, 09:30 AM) *

agree.gif

If you don't mind, if you were to have a password for your banking account, what would it be?

av-943.gif ..... come on guys, like the car thiefs out there cannot figure out & look into all the nooks to check on ANY car they want to steal!!?? confused24.gif
.... or just hot wire it!!?? blink.gif

I think Jeff was just asking a generalized question innocently.

... wait ..... I think somebody's following me, nope ... I'm being wire tapped ..... wait, lemme get my tin-foil cap so the aliens can't read my mind!!!! huh.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 29 2010, 09:49 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Nov 29 2010, 09:30 AM) *

agree.gif

av-943.gif ..... come on guys, like the car thiefs out there cannot figure out & look into all the nooks to check on ANY car they want to steal!!?? confused24.gif
.... or just hot wire it!!?? blink.gif

I think Jeff was just asking a generalized question innocently.

... wait ..... I think somebody's following me, nope ... I'm being wire tapped ..... wait, lemme get my tin-foil cap so the aliens can't read my mind!!!! huh.gif

It's "You've got to be kidding." with a Russian accent.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Drums66
....Behind the front bumper(magnetic)
now where did you say you live? poke.gif laugh.gif
bye1.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 29 2010, 12:37 PM) *

It's "You've got to be kidding." with a Russian accent.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Da Kamrade! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.