Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: bmw 2002 - Forums and insights, pics, etc...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gint
I'm looking at few BMW 2002 tii this week. Decent forums?

Oh and, post pics too if you got 'em!
TROJANMAN
are you looking at the one in Elizabeth? I wanted to go see it, but it was just too far
Gint
Lame. Too far? You're half my distance to Elizabeth already. I'm going Saturday at 1:30 in the 914. If you want to meet me somewhere near 225/Parker you can come with me.
URY914
I bought my 914 when I was 20 y.o. and it came down to a 914 or a 2002. I was going to buy whichever one I found first. I've always liked them.

Click to view attachment

URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I luv those things. Had several. Just sold my last one and all the parts. dry.gif

Started with this one. Total wreck when I got it.

Click to view attachment

After a couple years I got bored and turned it into this. Steel flares, custom made HRE three piece wheels, Fat rubber 275/50/16's on the rear.

Click to view attachment

Then my Euro Hot Rod. Shaved 121 head with E12 valves, Schrick duel valve springs, Paeco 7800 series cam, Modded 4 sp trans with tapered roller bearings on the lay shaft( the weak point of the BMW box) Short shift. Faaaassstttt! Addco big anti-sway bars.

Click to view attachment

http://www.02tii.com/
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/
Gint
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 25 2010, 10:54 AM) *
I bought my 914 when I was 20 y.o. and it came down to a 914 or a 2002. I was going to buy whichever one I found first. I've always liked them.

I want to have both. driving.gif

Cool! I need a forum! I have to do some research. I need to know about parts availability and costs, etc...

I drove this one this morning:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2073236804.html

It definitely looks better in the pics than in person, but it drove out great! Too bad it's green. Almost exactly the same color as the zambeziteen.
PeeGreen 914
I don't know if it is a forum or what but my best friend spent lots of time at 2002ad.com
Gint
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Nov 25 2010, 12:46 PM) *
I don't know if it is a forum or what but my best friend spent lots of time at 2002ad.com
I'll check it out. Thanks Jon.

Oooowww... They have a car for sale section. I like it already. Pics!
rick 918-S
Looks like a good start. Some rust but not where it's an issue like the common sides of the inner rear wheel houses, front shock towers, rockers and anyplace theres a bend or a fold in the metal.... biggrin.gif Also the windsheild gaskets leak into the car and the water soaks into the thick padding under the carpet causing the front floor pans to rust out.

Nice mods, the Recaro's a nice. The factory seats are not good.
Gint
Thanks Rick. Yeah, the passenger fender had bubbles too but I'm looking for a driver anyway so it doesn't have to be perfect. Everyone else I looked it seemed really solid. The 5 speed was sweet and the injection pump certainly appeared rebuilt as stated.

It's green though... and the paint is shot. That's not necessarily that bad either though given my intended use. But it's green...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 25 2010, 02:05 PM) *

Thanks Rick. Yeah, the passenger fender had bubbles too but I'm looking for a driver anyway so it doesn't have to be perfect. Everyone else I looked it seemed really solid. The 5 speed was sweet and the injection pump certainly appeared rebuilt as stated.

It's green though...

Ooooo.. 5sp conversion. Missed that. Sweet! Is it an early Getrag 265 with the dog leg down reverse?
Gint
Nope. Reverse is up and left. 320i unit.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 25 2010, 02:15 PM) *

Nope. Reverse is up and left. 320i unit.

Ahh, I think that's a 260. Stout gear box. The big ticket items with the TII is the injection pump. Big bucks and they don't like to sit with bad fuel in them.
McMark
agree.gif http://www.2002faq.com
URY914
Pelican's 2002 forum is sorta weak.
Gint
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 25 2010, 02:38 PM) *
Pelican's 2002 forum is sorta weak.
I noticed. First place I looked. That's why I started this thread.

Thanks Mark. I found that one earlier today. Poked around it a little. Not a huge fan of the outline format, but that's a nit pick. I'll take what I can get if the info and user participation is there.
TROJANMAN
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2063295657.html
Gint
Saw that, thought about it. I'd prefer the real classic. A 2002 will maintain it's value over the long haul.
GeorgeRud
You might want to check Bimmerforums.com, they have some traffic, but nowhere near what this forum has. I was a member of the local BMW club when we had a Z3 (in addition, not in place of, the 914s), and my college roomate had a 2002tii (after an AMX and a Lotus Europa - nice to have wealthy parents). They are great little cars, and pretty simple to work on. We spent way too much time fooling around with cars when we should have been studying!

You should be able to find a nice one, but do watch for the tin worm. There was a Bauer Cabriolet 2002 on eBay a while ago that looked nice, so enjoy your hunt. The 2002 certainly is getting to be a collectable amongst BMW owners, so a good one should hold its value as well as be an entertaining car to drive.
Gint
Thanks George. I'll check it out.
Dr Evil
I would love a tii some day. Classy.
partsman
It's a new england forum, but it might help...

http://bmw2002.us///

Eric
Zundfolge
There is (or maybe was) a nice looking one down in The Springs
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2016203952.html (I could swear he relisted it at $6500 so it may have sold and he didn't delete the old ads)

There's also a questionable one (says its race prepped) for $6k
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2028383534.html

I miss my '02 (sold it several years ago to buy my 914) ... I would rather not have a tii because I want to modify it (Ideally stuffing in the drivetrain and brakes from an E30 M3) and a tii is just too valuable in its stock form. Plus when the injection system of a tii isn't in perfect shape they're a pain

There is a 2002 subforum on bimmerfourms
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105
Gint
I'm looking at the red one in the Springs tomorrow morning. Then back up to Elizabeth to look at the white one.
URY914
Heres one at a local car show...

Click to view attachment
Gint
A parts hauler. laugh.gif

IPB Image
Gint
The main thing I learned in my 200 mile round trip to look at 2 tii...

914s are fuch'n cool as hell. And $5k will buy a decent driver 914, but you can't even get a rusty tii for that.

More later. I need to do a pro/con list for each of the three candidates that are available locally.
McMark
If I were shopping for a 2002 (wish I were), I wouldn't be looking for a tii. They're pretty much analogous to 914/6s being that they're the 'most desirable' and therefore command a premium. Non-tii 2002s are still great cars, and if FI is a necessity, you can go MegaSquirt, or even do an engine conversion. Like 914/6 conversions, 2002s can accept a lot of the later model motors without 'much' work.

I've been trying to expand into 2002 restoration and repair for awhile, but there's so many 2002 shops local to me that I haven't made much progress. I love 2002s.

Finally, the 2002FAQ had the crappiest board software, but there's a TON of info there and it's pretty lively.
Dr Evil
Maybe you could go over there and help them with their software...then you would have your foot in the door. Invite the powers that be over here and show them how it is done smile.gif Reach out and touch someone.
McMark
I actually tried that. Got a line about "our guys like it, so why fix it?" What'cho gonna do. dry.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 27 2010, 10:57 PM) *

I actually tried that. Got a line about "our guys like it, so why fix it?" What'cho gonna do. dry.gif

Yep, I used to go there once in a while. Never could find anything or figure out the post history. One of the reasons I phased out the 2002's. Next is all my Beetle stuff.
oldschool
Here my old ride?Click to view attachment
I had fun in this car.
Rav914
Just a thought...but have you considered an E21? The '77-'83 320i. I had one years ago. It was a great car. I believe they have K-Jet. $5K would get you an excellent example. You could even get a /6, the 323i, for that kind of money.
Gint
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 27 2010, 04:06 PM) *
If I were shopping for a 2002 (wish I were), I wouldn't be looking for a tii. They're pretty much analogous to 914/6s being that they're the 'most desirable' and therefore command a premium. Non-tii 2002s are still great cars, and if FI is a necessity, you can go MegaSquirt, or even do an engine conversion. Like 914/6 conversions, 2002s can accept a lot of the later model motors without 'much' work.

Appreciate the input Mark. But I can't do an anemic 4 cylinder. 100hp 4 banger ain't gonna cut it and I don't want to do a motor swap right outa the shoot. Or at all for that matter. It's also surprising how many tii are available locally while standard 02's are kinda scarce. Also as I said before the tii will give me a car I always wanted and maintain it's value. You see I want to add another driver to the fleet. Shar's decided she likes the GLI so I'm going to put here in that. That left me with an opportunity to get one of the other cars that's always been on my list. I'll make some improvements along the way during my ownership too, but I would prefer not having to do major work right away. But at the same time I am shopping for a driver, not a garage queen. I understand the realities that go along with that.

Having said that, I'm starting to realize that buying a 2002 may leave me without a road trip car. The truck is great for that, but unless I'm hauling something the 15mpg doesn't make a lot of sense. It might make more sense to put off the tii until I finish the /6 and sell off the zambeziteen. In which case I may go back to looking for a quatro avant 2.8/stick. Actually I never stopped looking. Once I realized exactly what I wanted in that category, it became a matter of sitting back and waiting for the right car to come along. And that may have happened yesterday in fact.

Of the three tii I looked at, they all need interior work and door/window/other rubber seals.

The green one was the best of the bunch. Ran strong, 5spd conversion, rebuilt injection, small amount of rust. But it's 70's green. I don't want another 70's green car. And it was the only car that I looked at that was still the original color. $6850 negotiable. It's worth $6k for sure, but it's green. I can't get past that.

The red one looked great from 10 feet. It was the best looking car. But it had plenty of bondo, some rust, needed caliper rebuilds right away, bushings or tie rods etc... in the front end and a water pump replacement. It also was the weakest running car. I saw a little bit of smoke during the first 10 minutes of driving despite the owners claim that it didn't at all. Originally silver. $6.5k firm seller says. I might be interested in it at $5k.

The white one ran like a scalded cat. Lots of actual and potential rust areas. Also needs front end suspension work. It is definitely a tii, but the front clip (rad support) was obviously from a standard 02. Also obvious that the front had been punched at some point. The front apron was half bondo. Thick bondo, visibly so, you can see it. This one looked like it might have been sahara beige or some such originally. At $7.5k it was 2.5k overpriced IMO. Guy said he wasn't firm, but a former San Diego BMW shop owner. Has one standard and 2 tii in addition to this car. Nice guy. I liked him. We hung out for a while shootin the $hit. He's negotiable, but he's not coming down $2.5k.

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Nov 28 2010, 06:07 AM) *
Just a thought...but have you considered an E21? The '77-'83 320i. I had one years ago. It was a great car. I believe they have K-Jet. $5K would get you an excellent example. You could even get a /6, the 323i, for that kind of money.

I've considered that as I've said before. Still am actually, but I'd prefer to stick to a more collectible bimmer. Or a later M3. But if I go that route I think I'll just go with the quatro avant.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 27 2010, 08:27 AM) *

A parts hauler. laugh.gif

IPB Image

Any more info on this one Mike? drooley.gif

BTW: M3's are effin fast when you chip them! Mine was a 95 dealer demo car in Daytonaviolett. The dealer demo's were early delivery cars with the 3.0 euro engine. Mine was chipped, air mass sensor change, K&N, Borla Exhaust, 18" Hammann Wheels with Yokohama Proxies, etc. It would rev faster than you could shift!

Click to view attachment

Crappy photo but it looked like Grape Coolaid aktion035.gif
Gint
laugh.gif That pickup bed conversion was in a pic thread on one of the BMW forums. No detail at all, just the pic.

I wish you lived around here Rick. I'd buy the white one cheap and have you show me how to replace the front apron! I could do the rest easily enough.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 28 2010, 10:27 AM) *

laugh.gif That pickup bed conversion was in a pic thread on one of the BMW forums. No detail at all, just the pic.

I wish you lived around here Rick. I'd buy the white one cheap and have you show me how to replace the front apron! I could do the rest easily enough.

Ya, wished I lived further west and didn't need to work 24/7. I would luv to do nothing but work on cars all day. Maybe in the next life. dry.gif
Gint
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 28 2010, 09:49 AM) *
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 28 2010, 10:27 AM) *

Ya, wished I lived further west and didn't need to work 24/7. I would luv to do nothing but work on cars all day. Maybe in the next life. dry.gif

Hey don't get pissy with me Mr. You and you're grumbly smiley face. What are you doing pecking a keyboard? happy11.gif Get back to work! bye1.gif
McMark
I thought you were moving out to join Original Customs, Rick? poke.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 28 2010, 11:38 AM) *

I thought you were moving out to join Original Customs, Rick? poke.gif

well, who knows where life leads you. For now I'm here and making money. Better than the alternative. smile.gif

But I'm not here to hijack Gint's 2002 thread that turned into an M3 and Avant thread. So... Here's what happens when you sell a seriously High Performance M3 to an inexperienced 18 yr old kid. 30 days to the day. scrape metal. A modded M3 is serious business.

From this: I bought this car wrecked. Beleive it or not I fixed this panel with "very" little filler.

Click to view attachment

To this: My son Aric. This was his Highschool driver. Never got a ticket with this car. That's respect for the power.

Click to view attachment

To this: His highschool friend bugged us until we gave in and sold it to him. I lectured the kid like I was his dad and a police officer. My words fell on deaf ears.

Click to view attachment
Gint
laugh.gif No worries about a hijack Rick. I got the info I was looking for and the thread turned into my BS'ing with friends about the direction I was heading and why. That's one of the coolest things about this site. - That kid really did Fuchup that M3. Damn! What a shame.

Speaking of where life takes you... One of the advantages of looking specific models of one, two or more different cars is that you can let the market dictate where you end up. Almost the exact model Audi I was looking for came along. I made a deal and a deposit to buy this car this afternoon. It's pretty nice for it's age. That's not the actual pic of the car in the craigslist ad. But the car is lowered with H&R's and RS4 wheels. I forgot to look to see if they were 18 or 19's. Extra set of factory 5 spokes with Michelin snows. The only thing I could have different would be white instead of pearl white, but whaddyagonnado? The tii will come another day, 'cause I haven't scratched of my list yet.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2080208891.html
Dr Evil
Not a 2002. Oh well. yawn.gif
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment...and you can't turbo a 2002 Tii either sad.gif
Marty
Gint
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 28 2010, 06:18 PM) *
Not a 2002. Oh well. yawn.gif
Oh now there's a commentary. Don't you drive a subaru wagon with a rainbow sticker? When it runs I mean. happy11.gif
Dr Evil
And a bus with a bored out 3.1 corvair engine, and a BMW R90/6, and a 914 with a 2.7 /6 in it, and.....

Funny thing is, I am looking at ways to turbo and lift the suby right now.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 28 2010, 05:05 PM) *

laugh.gif No worries about a hijack Rick. I got the info I was looking for and the thread turned into my BS'ing with friends about the direction I was heading and why. That's one of the coolest things about this site. - That kid really did Fuchup that M3. Damn! What a shame.

Speaking of where life takes you... One of the advantages of looking specific models of one, two or more different cars is that you can let the market dictate where you end up. Almost the exact model Audi I was looking for came along. I made a deal and a deposit to buy this car this afternoon. It's pretty nice for it's age. That's not the actual pic of the car in the craigslist ad. But the car is lowered with H&R's and RS4 wheels. I forgot to look to see if they were 18 or 19's. Extra set of factory 5 spokes with Michelin snows. The only thing I could have different would be white instead of pearl white, but whaddyagonnado? The tii will come another day, 'cause I haven't scratched of my list yet.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2080208891.html

Very nice! Just make sure you do the belt service and you should be fine. Doesn't that thing have like 5 balljoints per sides?
VaccaRabite
This thread is a place I should not be.
I occasionally think of selling my 914 to buy a 2002 so I can take the family out. I really love those little old cars.
Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.