Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mystery connector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
willamp
While installing a stereo I found this loose 4 pin connector whose wires come from the the area behind the HVAC controls. Though it might be an old radio connector so checked it for switched or unswitched 12v with my meter. Pin 3 does seem to be switched 12v but when I put my meter to read voltage between ground and pin 4 the blower motor for the vents comes on very weak as if it's drawing current though my meter. Weird! Just wondering if something has became disconnected that should be but all of my controls for the blower and everything else seem to work fine.

Does this connector look familiar to anyone? Sorry for the bad focus on 1st pic.

Click to view attachment
willamp
Click to view attachment
underthetire
Did the car have A/C?
willamp
Yes, I thought of that too. I don't know if the car had a/c at one time, it's been restored some time ago. I looked at the used a/c system I have from a different car and this connector wasn't used there. But that may not mean my car didn't have a/c with a different setup. I'm betting you're right, This must have been plugged into a dealer a/c. Anyway, the switched 12v is hooked up to my stereo now and seems to be working fine.
willamp
After posting it occured to me that the spare tire well seems to be intact so didn't have a condenser up there unless the bottom of the well was replaced. It still has the tow loop but I'll take a closer look sometime to see if I can see any signs of replacement. I don't see any holes for the a/c hoses either though.
JeffBowlsby
'fasten seatbelt light'
914Sixer
Jeff is correct, seat belt light.
willamp
No, Sorry, it's not the seat belt waring light. I pulled the ashtray and felt the back of it. It has two spade terminals coming out the back about 1.5 inch apart. Currently nothing on them. The mystery connector is 4 pin about 1 inch wide.

I just put the connector back into the console where I found it. Doesn't appear to be anything important.
McMark
Trace a few of the wires and see if they have stock connector ends or cheapie colored plastic crimp on connectors.
Black22
Looks like my aftermarket stereo power harness plug. I have a Kenwood. Maybe?
904svo
If it has a Yellow,Black,Brown/White and Gray/Red it is the Fasten seat belt light and plugs into the light.
76-914
QUOTE(904svo @ Nov 28 2010, 12:39 PM) *

If it has a Yellow,Black,Brown/White and Gray/Red it is the Fasten seat belt light and plugs into the light.

On my 75-76 there are 2 spade connectors, as mentioned above, goin to the fasten belts light. And they're red (power) and yellow/red which I believe was a negative switched wire going to the connection under the passenger seat.
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 28 2010, 02:30 PM) *
QUOTE(904svo @ Nov 28 2010, 12:39 PM) *
On my 75-76 there are 2 spade connectors, as mentioned above, goin to the fasten belts light. And they're red (power) and yellow/red which I believe was a negative switched wire going to the connection under the passenger seat.

On a '73, it's 4 wires for the seatbelt warning light.

- Yellow
- Brown/White
- Black
- Gray/Brown(?)

From the pictures posted, it certainly looks like the fasten seatbelt light connector.
shades.gif

Item (67):

IPB Image
willamp
Maybe I have a later fasten seatbelt light with the 2 spade connectors. So my car is a 73 and has the older 4 pin connector.
SirAndy
QUOTE(willamp @ Nov 29 2010, 08:37 AM) *
Maybe I have a later fasten seatbelt light with the 2 spade connectors. So my car is a 73 and has the older 4 pin connector.

Which would explain why it wasn't connected ... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.