Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator cable question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
I was out for a drive today and heard a snap....my accelerator became a little mushy - but still easily driveable. Made it home, removed the cable from my carb linkage, pulled a little out in the front, and half the cable had snapped, with a couple twines holding it together. Whew.

So I'm looking at new cables on Pelican, and have read here the Terry cable is a good buy, but it looks different. From the picture, much of the twine is exposed. My current cable has the rubber covering most of it from the firewall to the linkage and a nut to tighten it against the cable mount for the carb linkage - and haven't noticed any twine in the tunnel.

Is it suppose to be just uncovered twine in the tunnel?

Click to view attachment
Gint
Doesn't matter really. The Terry cable will work fine. BTDT
'73-914kid
That's just the way Terry throttle cables are.. Install it, and you will be impressed with the difference.. I sure was
Gint
That's probably because your old cable liner was shot. or the end bent, or... In theory you shouldn't notice a difference at all.
patssle
Ok. But I'm still curious, the exposed twine part will be in the tunnel, correct?
McMark
Yup. The inside of the tunnel runs in a tube. So it's not really exposed.
JayDubbya
I recently replaced my throttle cable. The old one was TERRY and was a nekked metal cable - as you mentioned - from the place where the cable entered the tube at the firewall at the front of the engine compartment and all the way to the accelerator pedal. My old cable was in pitiful shape – quite well rusted and frayed. (Although I am certain it was not original equipment since it was a TERRY, I have no idea how many years it had been inside the beast. So the fact that it was in terrible shape is not a comment on how long a TERRY might last.)

The replacement cable was a GEMO_OEM_branded cable. That GEMO cable had what I called “a white plastic sheathing” from the firewall to the accelerator cable. Other GEMO's that I've seen pictured on the 'net all had that white sheathing. Some sites refer to it as "teflon" but I do not know if it is PTFE or not. The thought of a sheath that might help keep the cable from catching or rubbing on something seems to make sense, but real world performance is often not the same as “what makes sense.”

GEMO's - strangely enough - are generally less expensive. This group has tended to be more TERRY-friendly but I have no idea if that is performance-based or has another explanation. I don't have the history or knowledge or any other bent to recommend one vs the other.

Good luck !
patssle
Thanks Jay. I did some searching and there were more results for Terry around here. But good Terry posts were followed up with good GEMO posts, and Terry negative experiences were matched by GEMO negative experiences .

But there is more of a Terry following, so I went with the product that has more of a history. They may be equal, but peace of mind. And ordered a Terry clutch cable as a backup in case that goes too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.