Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tiny Hole in rear cross panel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
mgphoto
Hello All and thanks for looking.
I have owned my car for 29 years and always thought this hole in the rear cross panel, between the left tail light and the rear trunk lock, was for the 1.7 liter badge.

Click to view attachment

I searched the parts book for a gold 1.7 badge but found none, searched p914.com to find that '72 did not have a displacement badge.

So, if not the displacement badge than what?

I thought the PO maybe put a personal badge or other item there, the car had only a few stickers on the rear window and nothing else done to personalize it.

I also thought maybe this was for a dealer badge?

Does anyone know of a New England dealer that put their badge on cars with a single peg centered in the middle of the badge?

I know that the car spent it's first 10 years in Mass. Conn. and Rhode Island.

Any other ideas what else it may have placed there, I would like to replace the item.

Thanks for your help.
Mike

dr914@autoatlanta.com
That is not a factory hole. SOMEONE of course drilled it for something like maybe a dealer badge or a 356 hood badge

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 29 2010, 01:34 PM) *

Hello All and thanks for looking.
I have owned my car for 29 years and always thought this hole in the rear cross panel, between the left tail light and the rear trunk lock, was for the 1.7 liter badge.

Click to view attachment

I searched the parts book for a gold 1.7 badge but found none, searched p914.com to find that '72 did not have a displacement badge.

So, if not the displacement badge than what?

I thought the PO maybe put a personal badge or other item there, the car had only a few stickers on the rear window and nothing else done to personalize it.

I also thought maybe this was for a dealer badge?

Does anyone know of a New England dealer that put their badge on cars with a single peg centered in the middle of the badge?

I know that the car spent it's first 10 years in Mass. Conn. and Rhode Island.

Any other ideas what else it may have placed there, I would like to replace the item.

Thanks for your help.
Mike

Tom_T
I've also seen the Stuttgart/place-name & Porsche & similar round-gear badges put on the L side by owners.

BTW - the 1.7 badge would be on the right of the 914 badge on 73 MY only, then 1.8 for 74-76 (vinyl decals for 75-76 MYs), & all 914/4's 70-72 had no motor badge since the only other option was badged as 914-6 & self-explanatory.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 29 2010, 07:18 PM) *

I've also seen the Stuttgart/place-name & Porsche & similar round-gear badges put on the L side by owners.

BTW - the 1.7 badge would be on the right of the 914 badge on 73 MY only, then 1.8 for 74-76 (vinyl decals for 75-76 MYs), & all 914/4's 70-72 had no motor badge since the only other option was badged as 914-6 & self-explanatory.

You have nailed it Tom.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.