Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keyed power source - front trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All,
Is there a keyed power source in the front trunk? Wipers or fresh air blower maybe?

I want to relocate my fuel pump. When I pulled the motor, I found that the existing pump was wired to the coil! Very well hidden splice....

I no longer have a relay board, so I am not sure where to grab power.

Thanks!
Scott S
McMark
You can connect to the fuse panel. The stock wiring passes through the bulkhead behind the brake fluid reservoir. Very easy to slide another 18g wire through there.

IMHO, a piggyback connection on the fuse panel is acceptable, whereas a random splice from some unassociated component isn't. I'm nitpicky though.
SirAndy
The stock fuel-pump uses a 25A fuse AND a relay. Both for a reason ... shades.gif

Get a good relay and use Fuse 11 (un-switched) for the power part of the relay and find a switched connector for the relay trigger.
11 looks to be the main power wire coming from the battery.

I'd even add an inline fuse on the power line ...
popcorn[1].gif

Pic:
IPB Image
Scott S
That is a better idea for sure Mark - thanks...

Andy, is there a different draw for the fuel injection fuel pump, vs a pump for carbs? Do you think a relay is required on the carb pump?

Thanks to you both - beerchug.gif
Scott S
GeorgeRud
A relay for a fuel pump is never a bad idea, puts less strain on the switch to that device.

If you're using carbs, it's also a nice little anti-theft device as the car will start, but run out of gas in a few blocks unless the switch is turned on.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Nov 29 2010, 02:43 PM) *
Andy, is there a different draw for the fuel injection fuel pump, vs a pump for carbs? Do you think a relay is required on the carb pump?

No idea about the current draw.

When i had my carbed 2056, i ran the CB pump off the stock fuel pump wiring. Relay and fuses and all. It sure didn't seem to hurt anything ...

smile.gif
stugray
I am about to relocate the FP for my FI car to the front.

Fuel tank is out and fuel cell on the way, so I will have plenty of room up there since the fuel cell is going where the spare used to be.

I plan on running the wire that controls the fuel pump relay through the tunnel with the new fuel lines and relocate the FP relay to the front.

SO I will also need a high current wire in the front.

I am also considering relocating the battery to the front, but then I have to run big honkin wires to the back for the starter.

Anyone else ever done this?

Stu
Hammy
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 29 2010, 04:51 PM) *

I am about to relocate the FP for my FI car to the front.

Fuel tank is out and fuel cell on the way, so I will have plenty of room up there since the fuel cell is going where the spare used to be.

I plan on running the wire that controls the fuel pump relay through the tunnel with the new fuel lines and relocate the FP relay to the front.

SO I will also need a high current wire in the front.

I am also considering relocating the battery to the front, but then I have to run big honkin wires to the back for the starter.

Anyone else ever done this?

Stu

I don't know if I've ever seen one up front, though somebody probably has. Sometimes they are relocated to the rear trunk if space is an issue in the engine bay.
Why do you want to relocate the battery? Assuming your battery tray is structurally good, and you have a good sealed battery (Optima), the stock location is probably best. It's location also helps offset the weight of the driver too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.