Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine tin temp? anyone ? anyone? bueller?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver74insocal
just wondering if anyone has ever measured the surface temp of the top engine tin? just wondering what the options are for blingification. thanks, Dave beerchug.gif
DanT
mine were bead blasted and then painted with the same paint that was used on my car.
After a year of track/AX and street abuse it was exactly the same color....orange.
r_towle
rattlecan paint works fine...just watch the fuel drips..

Rich
silver74insocal
great thanks you guys beerchug.gif so would it be safe to say anything rated for 250 degrees or less would be ok? idea.gif
as in "good up to 250" sorry that sounded confusing...
silver74insocal
Click to view attachment
idea.gif
'73-914kid
Just get Duplicolor Engine paint.. it's held up incredibly well on my car, and has no issues with fuel drips...
McMark
DupliColor has all kinds of bling paints.
VaccaRabite
Your hottest head should be under 400 for a well tuned car. Most FLAPS sourced engine paint in spray cans is formulated for 600.

I would personally not use a paint rated for 250, but people here are doing it and it seems to be holding up fine. I'd use engine paint.

Zach
McMark
Zach, you're kinda right. The head sometimes reaches 400, but that's AT the spark plug. The cooling fins and the air drop that temp quick.

Consider this, after a long drive, you can touch the cooling tin with a bare hand. It's really hot, but not 250 degrees hot. Maybe 120-140 would be my estimate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.