Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: reflector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
I was given a 911 rear reflector and am going to cut it down to fit my 914. Can I drill or use a hole saw for the trunk release button or will that ruin it?
Black22
All the reflector installs I've seen require the solenoid kit to open the trunk. I've never seen one with the push button lock protruding through the reflector.
Ferg
My old six had one done that way, I didn't cut it, but I suspect if you had one with sharp teeth and went slow with low pressure you would be ok.

DanT
I did one that way on one of my cars...
Start by drilling the hole very small and then increase drill sizes until it is large enough for a dremel or such...then just enlarge until the proper size...go slowly...that plastic shatters and cracks very easily.
Make sure whatever you cut the ends with is extremely sharp with closely spaced small teeth...and put tape over the area to cut to help cut down on cracking and shattering.
jaxdream
I have seen where some folks remove the lock button , drill about an 1/8 " hole in the reflector , then use a screwdriver or small rod .They poke it though the 1/8" hole to release the lid, o'course anybody that wants into that area can do the same, no security. Just another way to skin the cat ....

Jack / Jaxdream
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you have a nice condition 911 reflector by all means sell it on e bay. They have been discontinued and will bring a fortune, so much that you could buy four new rear custom fitted 914 update kits!!!! Use also the electric release it is by far the right thing to do without any cutting or drilling

QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Nov 30 2010, 10:32 AM) *

I was given a 911 rear reflector and am going to cut it down to fit my 914. Can I drill or use a hole saw for the trunk release button or will that ruin it?
dem
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Nov 30 2010, 10:35 AM) *

I have seen where some folks remove the lock button , drill about an 1/8 " hole in the reflector , then use a screwdriver or small rod .They poke it though the 1/8" hole to release the lid, o'course anybody that wants into that area can do the same, no security. Just another way to skin the cat ....

Jack / Jaxdream

This is how mine is done. Works fine. Security by obscurity. smile.gif
McMark
I have a nice drilled on that I'll trade you. No work and you get what you want (drilled) and I get what I want (undrilled).
bmtrnavsky
I have one on my car with a solenoid... In my opinion it is BY FAR the best way to go. I also have a small wire that hangs under the car I can pulls as an emergency release in case the battery dies and I need in the trunk.
iamchappy
Get this, will always work..
Engmans trunk release pull
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=trunk+release
Grelber
I have the Engman release, and really like it. I ran the release cable into the engine bay, so I could get to it but it was more secure than hanging down behind the bumper.
windforfun
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 30 2010, 10:37 AM) *

If you have a nice condition 911 reflector by all means sell it on e bay. They have been discontinued and will bring a fortune, so much that you could buy four new rear custom fitted 914 update kits!!!! Use also the electric release it is by far the right thing to do without any cutting or drilling

QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Nov 30 2010, 10:32 AM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

If you must, use a sheet metal hole saw. The sharper the better. Experiment on other hard plastics. Drill a pilot hole.
Sleepin
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 30 2010, 12:46 PM) *

I have a nice drilled on that I'll trade you. No work and you get what you want (drilled) and I get what I want (undrilled).

If you don't trade with Mark, trade with me. poke.gif I have two sitting in my garage and both have holes drilled in them. hissyfit.gif
McMark
2.5 hours slow, Eric. tongue.gif
Sleepin
I figured....oh well....maybe they will turn up as awards! biggrin.gif
RonnieJ
I believe I'll put in on ebay and see what happens. If I make the cash from it I'll buy a new one with the release from AA. Thanks all.
realred914
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Nov 30 2010, 09:32 AM) *

after reflecting on your inquiry, i say yes, a hole will wreck it, instead try

1. remove lock, and latch, the lid will stay shut when driving, mine was like that for a decade with no problems.

2. install pull cable, locate near the engine lid pull, or under the bumper (better bring clean pants) or even in the engine bay (open engine lid first, gaining acces to the trunk pull in th engine bay)

3. install electric solinoid WITH a back-up pull cable (engine bay?)

all of these are viable options so do not cut a hole in the reflector, it will look funky.

Now go ahead and reflect on that thought, and tell me how a hole in your reflector would reflect on you, do you want your reflection to be funky or not?????, well do you, punk???? (apologies to Dirty Harry) av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif santa_smiley.gif santa_smiley.gif
RonnieJ
QUOTE(realred914 @ Nov 30 2010, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Nov 30 2010, 09:32 AM) *

after reflecting on your inquiry, i say yes, a hole will wreck it, instead try

1. remove lock, and latch, the lid will stay shut when driving, mine was like that for a decade with no problems.

2. install pull cable, locate near the engine lid pull, or under the bumper (better bring clean pants) or even in the engine bay (open engine lid first, gaining acces to the trunk pull in th engine bay)

3. install electric solinoid WITH a back-up pull cable (engine bay?)

all of these are viable options so do not cut a hole in the reflector, it will look funky.

Now go ahead and reflect on that thought, and tell me how a hole in your reflector would reflect on you, do you want your reflection to be funky or not?????, well do you, punk???? (apologies to Dirty Harry) av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif santa_smiley.gif santa_smiley.gif

Dirty Harry there will be no drilling, I wouldn't want to make you mad...people don't like you when your mad.
Tom
RonnieJ,
If all doesn't work out, PM me for a different way. Did it on my 70 back in 1975 and it worked well.
Tom
Rand
QUOTE(Tom @ Nov 30 2010, 06:38 PM) *

RonnieJ,
If all doesn't work out, PM me for a different way. Did it on my 70 back in 1975 and it worked well.
Tom

Only by PM? Why not share?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.