Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.0 liter SC engine questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So, I found another engine.
79 3.0 liter.
8% leakdown accross the board.

So, what pistons and cylinders does this have and can they be fixed (honed and re-ringed) or do I need to replace them?
Alusil, Nickelsil etc etc.??

Heads , so he tells me, are the larger valve heads.

It is CIS but he is missing 5 of the runners...can I get those or are they to hard to find nowadays?

Heads I assume will need new guides....what is a basic head job with valves reground and new guides? do i need to replace the seats also?

And finally.
its a longblock missing the alternator and a few other parts.
What is a reasonable price to pay, considering its a spinning core motor?
I will rebuild it myself, machine work will be farmed out.

Rich
iamchappy
It can have either Nickelsil or Alusil my 79 had Nickies, intake runners and stuff should be easy to find as well as the other missing parts, heads have the large ports.

Rich I would say 2500 to 3500 neighborhood.
Mark Henry
To me it's a $2000 core
A 79 would have big port heads but it's a low 8.5 CR lump, 167hp IIRC
Big pit falls is the devilar bottom head studs and the crank needs to be standard (or std with .010 rods) or the bearing will cost you big time.

You can find the CIS bits on the bird often the WUR is sot after and can be hard to find.

Count the fin's on the cylinders, 11 is nikasil and 10 will be alusil, (this trick only works on 3.0 and 3.2 engines) depending who you talk to the alusil can be re-ringed but it's a gamble. Nikisils you can lightly hone and reuse the pistons or go carbs and get JE's for $1000

You'll need bearings and seals gaskets, etc, about $1200, supertec head studs $650.
They are not as hard on the guides and you may get lucky. Seats are most times OK unless they've been cut too many times. Check the exhaust studs for hack repairs.

Make sure it has the dizzy as it's a 3.0 only counter rotating dizzy.
pete-stevers
the early 3.0 makes a great platform, i would say 2500 is a good start unless you have history on it.
early intakes will pop up now and again, i paid 325 for a second for mine
If you are buying pistons, might as well go with 98s and make it a 3.2ss
and just bore out a set of 3.2 jugs for the occasion
it never really ends.....
Dr Evil
Mark, stop spreading the rumor that alusil can not be reused. It is a FACT that using the Sunnin (SP) method with AD30 paste and stiff felt brushes will bring them back to life. I paid $192 to have mine on the 2.7 redone. There is a looooooooong thread on the bird board, that I was a small part of, where we proved this to be true both with scientific method and with input from people who know the guy who wrote the book on the procedure. The only place I know that does this is in National City, CA. The name escapes me at the moment (cold medicine).

Also, I just happen to have all of the runners for a 3.0 CIS that I am selling as I do not need them for my setup. I will have the plastic air box available as well. All I need are the guts.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 30 2010, 10:23 PM) *

Mark, stop spreading the rumor that alusil can not be reused.

I'm not spreading a rumor, I said "it depends who you talk to" which is true.
In a pinch I personally would try it, but a engine builder doing an engine for a customer most likely won't.

That said you are married to the special stock 8.5 CR pistons that come with the alusil cylinder and you can not use any of the JE or Mahle high CR piston offerings.
You can get alusil cylinders plated with nikasil so you can use the JE's.
r_towle
or shim it up, lower it to 7.5 and add a turbo smile.gif
Sounds like a decent platform, I just wish it had the alternator/fan...
Intakes sound obtainable..
What does a used and tested alternator and the metal strap run?
I just dont want to get into a motor that needs a NLA distributor cap...that seems stupid.
Rich
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 30 2010, 11:42 PM) *

or shim it up, lower it to 7.5 and add a turbo smile.gif
Sounds like a decent platform, I just wish it had the alternator/fan...
Intakes sound obtainable..
What does a used and tested alternator and the metal strap run?
I just dont want to get into a motor that needs a NLA distributor cap...that seems stupid.
Rich

You can still get new Beru caps.
Watch the bird for the fans, I have a strap if you can't find one.
r_towle
lemme know if you change your mind about the kit....I am still interested.
I happen to have a real chassis to put it on...

Rich
sww914
I've seen a lot of 3.0's with broken head studs, please check the torque or plan to replace them.
I have 2 alt. straps, one bolt style, $20.00 shipped or 2 Costco pizzas, your choice.
I'd figure $400.00 - $500.00 for head work at my local machine shop, if they don't need any parts. If you plan on upping the compression (new pistons) and cams and maybe leaving the CIS behind, I'd plan on valve springs and titanium retainers as well. Last ones I bought, AASCO had the best prices and they're known for quality around here.
You can re-use the nikasil if they're round and not destroyed, don't hone them at all, just scrub them with solvent and a red Scotch-Brite pad by hand and hose them off. I won't comment on the Alusil as I don't know shit about them.
Eric_Shea
What Mark said.

I'm using a 930/07 for my 911 MFI motor "because" of the smaller ports. They will be opened up to 36mm which is the factory size for the MFI S-Cams I have for the motor.

Torque means more to me in this application than top end HP. Not sure how often I would go 155mph vs. 150mph.
Justinp71
Sounds like the motor has been parted out a little which would make me nervous. About 4 years ago I paid $2800 for mine ('81 3.0) and it was complete (they were also a little higher value then), but it needed a top end rebuild. I would say this motors worth 2000-2500.

When you rebuild it you should atleast have the cams reground, talk to daugherty racing camshafts, very reasonable.
scotty b
Wow you guys are making feel realy good about the 1800.00 I paid for mine biggrin.gif IMHO this engine minus the parts and given the condition it is in is a 1200.00 max. It needs a lot of parts, and a fair amount of work. ANYTIME I look at a 911 engine I figure on it needing a full rebuild unless I am presented with paperwork, and can hear it run / drive it. That said I do realize most are like me and see the 3.0 SC as being one of the better and more desireable engines for a 914 or early 911, BUT for the cost of a 3.0 rebuild, you can hot rod a POS ( as most think ) 2.7, and have a more funner engine aktion035.gif and 2.7 can be had for 500.00
tomeric914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 1 2010, 07:01 PM) *

...and 2.7 can be had for 500.00

Really? Got any sources you can share?
jt914-6
I had my 3.0 built on a 930/68 case, (3.3 Turbo). Used Cosworth pistons and Web cam early "S" grind. CR is 10.5:1. Running Weber 40's. It's a fun motor for the street and track... driving.gif
J P Stein
[quote name='tomeric914' date='Dec 1 2010, 04:08 PM' post='1401019']
sunglasses.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 1 2010, 07:01 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

[/quote]

Find your own....that's what I paid for a 2.7L long block in ughknown condition. biggrin.gif

I was happy to sell the RS pistons out of it for $500.....kept the cyls. If I come across another one I'll tell the world....after I buy it.......
scotty b
[quote name='tomeric914' date='Dec 1 2010, 04:08 PM' post='1401019']
sunglasses.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 1 2010, 07:01 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

[/quote]

Look aroud they are out there. I have seen several over the years at that price. They may be coming up now as more people see the potential, but I do still see them that cheap. I hve one stashed away I paid 300.0 for, dissasembled in boxes with no accessories happy11.gif
BK911
You dont need a fan/alt from a 3.0. I have a fan/alt from a '73 on an '80 3.0. I had to switch something else out too but I cant remember what. Probably the voltage regulator.

I still have the fan/alt from the 3.0. I dont need it. It worked when I removed it. Email with a fail offer if interested.
Mark Henry

I have one I'll sell you. It's in the classifieds. Best offer!
Mark Henry
Rich that engine isn't that bad of a deal, especially if he can confirm no broke headstuds and talk him into tossing the fan back in the deal.
He's a wrench, I bet he's snagged the fan hoping to make a couple extra bucks.
Alusil cyinders
You can sell the stuff you don't need. Still will cost you for the /6 stuff you will need.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 3 2010, 08:30 AM) *

Rich that engine isn't that bad of a deal, especially if he can confirm no broke headstuds and talk him into tossing the fan back in the deal.
He's a wrench, I bet he's snagged the fan hoping to make a couple extra bucks.
Alusil cyinders
You can sell the stuff you don't need. Still will cost you for the /6 stuff you will need.

The engine is sold.
r_towle
I think the value of a core motor that needs a full rebuild is to high when it comes to a six motor.
I asked here because I respect the coolective opinions and I am learning the market prices.

If I know I need to put 6-8k into a motor, I can buy a 911 SC for 10k right now...pull the motor and sell the tub. That is a valid option IMHO and I will then get to hear the motor run...and even drive it for a bit.

A non running, plain jane 3.0 liter motor is not so special that I need to buy the first one that happens to come along. I can keep looking.

A core motor with no intake is worth less than 1000 bucks to me...all said and done it needs everything.
That is what I think its worth, and it may take me time to change my opinion, but 3k for a core stripped motor it to much for ME to justify.

If it was rare, if it was the serial number I wanted, then the value equation for me would change.

I am not buying a motor to part out, I am buying a motor to use...
I am a very patient shopper and I am happy to wait till I find the right deal.
I am not excited about having a motor pushed on me, nor being called about a motor that I expressed interest in hearing more details about via email...
If someone has to call me to sell a motor, when I asked for more information via email, I get supicious...considering I did not provide a phone number.

If it is someone I know, that is one thing...
Someone I have never done business with that calls in response to a thread question...the hair on my neck stands up...
I immediately ask why, and I ask for an education (thus this thread)

I was asked to retract my thread to lower other peoples suspicions...I said nothing wrong, just that I was interested.
I added a response today that said I am no longer interested.
Really an odd way to do business. Very aggresive with the wrong guy.
I sell for a living.

Dont know the guy, never heard of the guy...If he walks up and shakes my hand at an autox someday he will probably sell me the next motor he finds, who knows.

I know I can call a few dismantle shops in La and DC and get a 3.6, or 3.2 running guaranteed motor for 5k today.
That is the number I work backwards from.

If a big port 3.0 is a special and desirable motor to someone building a racecar, I am the wrong person to use that logic on...I dont want to build a racecar.
its not a value proposition that makes sense to me and it wont make me part with my money.
I will go for a 3.2 faster than a 3.0 just due to the EFI that comes with it....same thing with the 3.6

I am not looking for anything more than a deal on a reliable motor.
If you guys know just a little bit about me after all these years you should know that a deal is what I look for first. I can justify anything as long as I start out at the right price.
A 500 dollar 2.7 is a deal, and it would need to be complete.
A 3-4k 3.6 is a deal, all complete.

A 3k core motor is not a deal I can get excited about.

I do know exactly what I want, and its a deal.
I am not a beginner...and I know what a deal is...I have done it for 30 years...make deals.
I know what they smell like, what it sounds like, and this was not a deal for me...might be a deal for someone else, just not me.

Happy to wait for a deal that I know will work for me, not just a deal that works for the seller.

Rich
Mark Henry
Probably a good decision, but you will never find a core 3.0+ for $1K.
Guys will part the whole engine and sell it in bits before that. Seen it happen many times (several times this year) on the bird.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 3 2010, 08:51 AM) *

If someone has to call me to sell a motor, when I asked for more information via email, I get supicious...

I usually feel the complete opposite when I sell something. I get tired of answering all the "more information" request emails and figure if the guy buying won't even be bothered to talk to me on the phone, he's probably not that interested. I'm not the fastest at typing but I would guess it takes at least 30 minutes to type information that can be said in a 5 minute conversation, including clarifications and follow up questions. I certainly understand all the CL ads that state they will not respond without a phone number included.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Dec 3 2010, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 3 2010, 08:51 AM) *

If someone has to call me to sell a motor, when I asked for more information via email, I get supicious...

I usually feel the complete opposite when I sell something. I get tired of answering all the "more information" request emails and figure if the guy buying won't even be bothered to talk to me on the phone, he's probably not that interested. I'm not the fastest at typing but I would guess it takes at least 30 minutes to type information that can be said in a 5 minute conversation, including clarifications and follow up questions. I certainly understand all the CL ads that state they will not respond without a phone number included.

Yes, I think a 5 minute conversation will take the place of 2 days worth of emails.
As I tell all my people at work, if someone has not answered ALL your questions in an email either call them or GO sit on their desk until all is clear. We get so much more done because of this.
mepstein
I placed a WTB on Pelican for a complete, low milage 3.2, within a couple hour drive and received 1/2 dozen offers. The one I bought was $4K and I feel I got a good deal. The seller did not need the engine anymore and wanted a simple, easy transaction. He threw in a bunch of extras including a Steve Wong chip, custom made for the engine. He never advertized the engine. I believe you could find any size core for $1k if you want. There are people who do not feel like hosting dozens of calls to sell a $250 part. They are out there if you ask and are patient.

carr914
[quote name='tomeric914' date='Dec 1 2010, 07:08 PM' post='1401019']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I've bought 5 or 6 for $500, some nice, some just cores. The thing is that is almost the same cost as a 2.7 Crank if you have to purchase you seperate.

Rich, Forget about that CIS and get you some PMO's

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.