Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: While we are discussing radiators
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dakotaewing
Ok Guys -

I need some help here -

I have been home a total of 5 nights in the last 5 months, so if I could, I would just go out and measure this myself...

I need the measurements inside the front trunk for max highth and width for the normal installation of a radiator for an SBC conversion. I have a line on a 11 x 31 aluminum 3 row radiator, but I am concerned that it is too wide. This needs to fit between the headlights, and not behind them. I am looking to move the radiator as far forward as possible...

Thanks for the help in advance -

Thom
computers4kids
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Nov 30 2010, 08:04 PM) *

Ok Guys -

I need some help here -

I have been home a total of 5 nights in the last 5 months, so if I could, I would just go out and measure this myself...

I need the measurements inside the front trunk for max highth and width for the normal installation of a radiator for an SBC conversion. I have a line on a 11 x 31 aluminum 3 row radiator, but I am concerned that it is too wide. This needs to fit between the headlights, and not behind them. I am looking to move the radiator as far forward as possible...

Thanks for the help in advance -

Thom

Hopefully this will help...
Mark
IPB Image
IPB Image
r_towle
dakotaewing
Mark -
Thanks for helping out...
Is the radiator sitting between the headlights, or just behind them?
If between them, how much room on each side?
In other words, is athe 31" width radiator too wide to fit correctly?

I want more than 12" of clearance between the radiator and the back wall of the trunk that runs between the front struts...
computers4kids
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Dec 1 2010, 08:09 PM) *

Mark -
Thanks for helping out...
Is the radiator sitting between the headlights, or just behind them?
If between them, how much room on each side?
In other words, is athe 31" width radiator too wide to fit correctly?

I want more than 12" of clearance between the radiator and the back wall of the trunk that runs between the front struts...

Good Timing...just logged on.
Below is a better pic. My radiator sits between the headlights. The radiator is 29.5 inches wide and the gap between the headlights is right at 31" (give or take a bit). A radiator 31" may or may not fit between the headlights...might be too tight. Not to sure how this measurement may vary between different 914s. I would definitely measure your gap before buying...way too close for error. My guess you will need a little more breathing room...you don't want the radiator vibrating against body metal. The gap narrows as you get closer to the front of the car, so a 31 for sure won't set any closer.

IPB Image
dakotaewing
Thanks Mark !
BIGKAT_83
Sounds like your looking at jeep ckerokee radiators. I looked into these awhile back and it looks like a pretty good fit.
charliew
The reason why the mfgs use thin radiators is that air moves through them a lot better so bigger and thinner should be better. If you add ac in front a three inch rad will need really good fans to pull the air through at low speeds. Which also adds to the thickness.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Dec 2 2010, 04:30 AM) *

Sounds like your looking at jeep ckerokee radiators. I looked into these awhile back and it looks like a pretty good fit.

Bob
You are correct, but looking into this further it appears that the CORE is 31", and that measurement does not include the side tanks. If you know of a better source for these, please chime in...

Thanks!

Thom

BIGKAT_83
Thomas
Theirs a guy than sells a ckerokee radiator on ebay that is 31" total . He's local to me and also sell ac stuff. I've had renegade radiators and some other Ron Davis custom radiators. The subaru 914 I just finished has a Ron Simpson set up in it. I didn't buy it it was already in the car when I got it. It did worked with the v8 and really works good with the subaru. It's a lot smaller than the others and is a far better fit. It to is like the renegade set up way overpriced if you buy it from them. I really think you could use any kind of radiator that fits. The important think is how you have it plumbed up.
On my subaru and ls1 the front opening is the same size as a 914 gt oil cooler and they both cool fine.

Bob
flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.