Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 fuel hose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boxer246
Just getting started with a '72 1.7 ......
As far as the fuel hoses are concerned, all the hose from the fuel pump into the engine compartment, going to and from the injectors is supposed to be "high pressure" I realize. But do most of you guys just use the smooth rubber high pressure 7mm hose? For originality's sake, is there any high pressure 7mm cloth braided hose available? Most stuff i'm finding doesn't indicate weather it is high pressure or not....even the Contitech stuff, which I assume is high quality hose.

I'd like to keep the engine compartment looking as original as possible as this car is really low mileage and unmolested.

Another question, somewhat related,....are the 1.7 injectors the same as 2.0 injectors? Found a good price on new 2.0 Bosch injectors and wasn't sure they are compatible with the 1.7.
Hammy
Have you tried a local classic VW shop? they'll usually have the VW braided high pressure fuel hose.

1.7 and 2 liter injectors are different, their colors tell them apart. Can't remember them off hand, someone will chime in.
Rotary'14
QUOTE(Boxer246 @ Nov 30 2010, 08:45 PM) *

Just getting started with a '72 1.7 ......
As far as the fuel hoses are concerned, all the hose from the fuel pump into the engine compartment, going to and from the injectors is supposed to be "high pressure" I realize. But do most of you guys just use the smooth rubber high pressure 7mm hose? For originality's sake, is there any high pressure 7mm cloth braided hose available? Most stuff i'm finding doesn't indicate weather it is high pressure or not....even the Contitech stuff, which I assume is high quality hose.

I'd like to keep the engine compartment looking as original as possible as this car is really low mileage and unmolested.

Another question, somewhat related,....are the 1.7 injectors the same as 2.0 injectors? Found a good price on new 2.0 Bosch injectors and wasn't sure they are compatible with the 1.7.

You gotta be careful when trying to use "original look" fuel lines because the new gasolines blends will eat thru this stuff in a year or two.

to quote realred914,,
"5/16 inch is a great fit, wont fail with clamps. the 30R9 NOT the 30R7 is to be used, the 3R9 is lined with a flouropolymer (Teflon like) inner hose that resists the new gasolines (oxygenated fuel) use of the older 30R7 hose is NOT recommended with todays fuels. as the hose degrades the 50 psi rating degrades. Orignal style German hose is NOT lined and is NOT recommended anymore becuase of the changes in fuel mixture.

look for SAE 30R9 rating stamped on your hoses, if not there, dont use it."

from this discussion,,
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=fuel+line

Not trying to spoil your original looking engine compartment,, but I'm sure you'd want to be safe too.

-Robert
realred914
ditto, the new fuel mixtures are NOT compatible with the traditional hoses, even stuff sold ten years ago (SAE30R70 which WAS rated for FI systems is now being marked as NOT for FI systems, the new fuels weaken the hoses unless they are lined)
, i would only recommned 30R9 hose in the 914. the 5/16 inch hose commonly found will work fine with hose clamps on the 914 fuel system, use 3/8 inch hose on the fatter hose that is under the gas tank as needed.
still have not found a replacement for the addaptor hose (size change) that goes to the filter at firewall, so that hose I replace often as i can only find that hose in regular non-lined type.

Use only solid band type hose clamps, not the serrated ones

also note the original 914 engine bay hoses were sleeved with a grey plastic cover, that will cover up most of the visable hoses so the new hose will be partially hidden and look nealy OEM.
Boxer246
Ok, thanks fellas, thats good info, exactly what I was looking for.
I have used some of the blue-lined Goodyear hose on my VW diesel because it is Biodiesel compatible, I'll have to go look at it I think it has the 30r9 rating. Doesn't look original, but oh well. I dont recall seeing the gray outer covering on these cars but its been awhile since I played with them.
realred914
QUOTE(Boxer246 @ Dec 1 2010, 08:25 AM) *

Ok, thanks fellas, thats good info, exactly what I was looking for.
I have used some of the blue-lined Goodyear hose on my VW diesel because it is Biodiesel compatible, I'll have to go look at it I think it has the 30r9 rating. Doesn't look original, but oh well. I dont recall seeing the gray outer covering on these cars but its been awhile since I played with them.

the orignal stuff in the 914-4 engine bay i have seen has ribs running length wise on the hose, no cloth and the hoses that pass over much of the engine have a grey plastic sleeve. i am 99% sure this is how much of the 914 were built.
windforfun
QUOTE(Hammy @ Nov 30 2010, 11:14 PM) *

Have you tried a local classic VW shop? they'll usually have the VW braided high pressure fuel hose.

1.7 and 2 liter injectors are different, their colors tell them apart. Can't remember them off hand, someone will chime in.

The 1.7 FIs are yellow.
stugray
FWIW,

I intend to use this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/G...6&ppt=C0222

$7/foot at Checker, $23/foot at Jegs...talk about markup blink.gif

not classic but it's rated SAE 30R9.

Stu

rmital
...a while back I bought a fuel injection kit from Nate Eckler (914-parts.com), it included clamps seals and some fuel line. I'm wondering if it's the right stuff. Markings on the lines are:
Made in Germany - 23/07/32 NBR

I'm pretty sure it says "NBR", it's not that clear...or my eye's aint what they used to be.....

does this sound like the correct stuff????
realred914
QUOTE(rmital @ Dec 2 2010, 04:01 PM) *

...a while back I bought a fuel injection kit from Nate Eckler (914-parts.com), it included clamps seals and some fuel line. I'm wondering if it's the right stuff. Markings on the lines are:

I'm pretty sure it says "NBR", it's not that clear...or my eye's aint what they used to be.....

no it does not sound like that is 30R9. gates Goodyear, Dayco, all make a 30R9 hose as do some others, all of them have SAE and 30R9 printed along the length of the hose every foot or so, lacking the specific wording, it is not rated as 30R9 is what you must assume.

all of the SAE rated hoses i have seen also have the manufacture date printed on them.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rmital @ Dec 2 2010, 04:01 PM) *

As far as I'm concerned, it is. It's what you'd get if you bought bulk fuel hose from Porsche. It fits properly, handles far more pressure than you need, and should last a long time. Dave disagrees with me, but that's OK. I've been using it for over 30 years with good results and no failures.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.