Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying Out A New Material
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I ordered some of this Duocel stuff. It's sheets of 'foamed' 6101-T6 aluminum. I'm going to form a brick that will slip into the stock oil filler tower and hopefully provide significant oil vapor separation from the crankcase ventilation air. Ideally, by slipping this into the stock tower, I can run the breather tube to a carb or FI intake and not have to stress/dealwith large quantities of oil collecting in the intake or fouling the carbs.

Why not a traditional foam? This stuff won't break down over time.

Not cheap though. Each 4" x 4" x 0.5" sheet is $30. yikes.gif

Oh and if this works it'll appear Original while being Custom. sunglasses.gif
Chris Pincetich
Interesting.
I like the V-bar project better biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
If this foam had bits fall off over time, is there any way those aluminum foam crumbs would get into the flow of the oiling system? Bits would be caught by the oil filter before reaching delicate internals?
yeahmag
On my bug with a CB tower I used a copper sponge like thing I found at my hardware store. Worked great! Damn sponge would eventually get saturated and not breathe as well. This was an 7500 RPM / 2275 / Type I motor.
jmill
Seems like it's perfect for this application. See below:

Liquid/Gas Separators - The three-dimensional continuous ligament structure of Duocel foam promotes complete removal of entrained liquids. Aluminum foam alone or with standard surface treatments ensures long life and low maintenance. With up to 97% void volume, extremely small pressure drops can be achieved. The continuously connected aluminum structure prevents particle generation from within the liquid/gas separator.
McMark
If this foam had bits fall off over time,

It's certainly possible, but I'm satisfied that it's improbable. I'll plan on cutting open the first couple oil filters and straining the used oil to see if anything is generated.

This is absolutely an experiment.
jd74914
Nice find, that's cool stuff.

Now the question is if its weldable...that would probably make great fuel tank baffles.
mightyohm
Wow, what a strange material. It certainly looks cool!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 1 2010, 03:38 PM) *

The fuel cell foam I've had in my race car breather can shows no sign of breakdown yet, after 12 years and more than 100 races. dry.gif
Cost of foam in a Tangerine Racing breather can - less than $1, and it looks an awful lot like that picture of Duocel.
McMark
But it's not ALUMINUM. av-943.gif

I'm going to get this stuff electropolished so that it's so shiny it glows in the dark. BLING BLING! laugh.gif Just kidding.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 2 2010, 12:43 PM) *
I'm going to get this stuff electropolished so that it's so shiny it glows in the dark. BLING BLING! laugh.gif

You could probably backlight it with a LED strip so when one opens the cap to refill the oil at night, you don't need a flashlight.
idea.gif
geniusanthony
A little OT but, who made those aluminum tower oil filler assemblies?
geniusanthony
And, for Andy's idea, a normally closed NC relay would allow the cap to act as a switch to turn on said LED, if the cap was conductive with matching contacts on the tower.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Dec 2 2010, 10:21 PM) *

A little OT but, who made those aluminum tower oil filler assemblies?

Mine was made by "spunone" on this forum. Veeeerrry niiiice.
Mark Henry
/6 oil tank screen idea.gif
ottox914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 1 2010, 10:51 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 1 2010, 03:38 PM) *

The fuel cell foam I've had in my race car breather can shows no sign of breakdown yet, after 12 years and more than 100 races. dry.gif
Cost of foam in a Tangerine Racing breather can - less than $1, and it looks an awful lot like that picture of Duocel.

Under what conditions would fuel cell foam break down? My friend, driving a birkin 7, running regular old 92-93 from the pump, had the foam in his cell break down after 3-4 seasons. He stored the car winters with a full tank of fuel. Last season he had fuel delivery issues, I told him to check the fuel cell, the foam had come apart into little chunks, was blocking the fuel line, and the fuel filter was clogged. He had to take a bunch of the car apart to remove and clean the fuel cell out, and now takes the foam out over the winters and plans to replace it every couple yrs.

Maybe he had different foam from what you are using? Are there different brands or grades of foam?
realred914
vibrtaion will be the enemy here, so make sure teh metal foam you use will not vibrate aginst the supports adn that could cuase wear inducing particles to get into the motor. maybe some sort of silicone (oil proof) seal around the foam to were you attach it to the motor would be good.

I have used a copper foam before, used it in a helium 3 isotope, zero gravity refridgeration unit for use on cooling space based sensors. neat stuff. the copper foam had the corect pore size to help seperate the Helium 3 from Helium (liquid), this is what drove the refridgeration cycle.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Dec 3 2010, 08:35 AM) *

Under what conditions would fuel cell foam break down?

Unleaded fuel stored in the fuel cell for an extended period of time.
Your friend would be better off completely draining the tank for winter storage if he's using pump gas.
underthetire
Pretty cool, i've seen our waterjet guy cutting that stuff out before. We have some special metal foam thats about 1,000 per gram !
realred914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 3 2010, 10:41 AM) *

Pretty cool, i've seen our waterjet guy cutting that stuff out before. We have some special metal foam thats about 1,000 per gram !

what the $1000/gram stuff called, alumicaine?
underthetire

QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 3 2010, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 3 2010, 10:41 AM) *

what the $1000/gram stuff called, alumicaine?

lol-2.gif

Gives you a buzz and Alzheimers in one shot !

Actually contains BE/CU/and gold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.