Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick FI tuninng question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Since the temps dropped in SoCal my idle increased to about 1400. I adjusted air mix @ TB to correct. Now that it has warmed a bit the idle is low. Is this to be expected from 35+ yr old FI ??
majkos
always check the vacum hoses

then the fun begins smoke.gif
r_towle
check and test your AAR valve to see if its closing.
they tend to get dirty.
You can remove it and blow a bunch of brake clean through it to remove the junk and try to get it working faster and better.

the AAR valve adds air when the car is cold to increase the idle.
If you adjust the idle air bypass screw when the engine is cold, you will make the car run worse when its warm....so go back and adjust that screw on the throttle body back to the setting that works only when its very warm...like go for a drive and then adjust it.

Rich
76-914
Yea Rich, I definately know to fully warm it up before I do anything. Which is about 30 min's on mine. I'll check the AAR. I guess it could be screwing up. All the hoses are < 2yr's old Kevin.
SLITS
Ya ever think that the shaft on the butteryfly might have an accumulation of 35 year old hardened oil and is not returning to it's proper position during "cold" weather.

Hey, I just wanted to be the prick you took a picture of on the way to Moab.

Did I succeed? biggrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 3 2010, 07:27 PM) *

Ya ever think that the shaft on the butteryfly might have an accumulation of 35 year old hardened oil and is not returning to it's proper position during "cold" weather.

Hey, I just wanted to be the prick you took a picture of on the way to Moab.

Did I succeed? biggrin.gif

av-943.gif That pic wasn't to infer you were a prick; rather you always had a stiffie. To the rest of the "World"; I captured Ron in his car (in UT) in a pic with a rather fallic looking boulder in the background. happy11.gif
realred914
some thign is wrong, you should not have to increase idle speed manually for cold weather at all, the aux. air volave shoudl give teh car more air when it is cold, when it is freezing cold, the fifth injector comes on to help making it richer still.

test that the air valve is fully open in your freezer.

the idle bypass should not need be adjusted when it gets cold.
76-914
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 4 2010, 08:42 AM) *

some thign is wrong, you should not have to increase idle speed manually for cold weather at all, the aux. air volave shoudl give teh car more air when it is cold, when it is freezing cold, the fifth injector comes on to help making it richer still.

test that the air valve is fully open in your freezer.

the idle bypass should not need be adjusted when it gets cold.

Reverse that Red. I had to lower the RPM when it got colder by reducing air volume. But I think your correct that I check the AAR. BTW, my CSV is not used or needed here in SoCal. Thx Rich & Red.
Edit: Originally I believed that the idle increase was a effect of the increased air density that our old fi systems weren't compensating for. Guess not.
sean_v8_914
a little of each fault/condition:
dirty slow AAR, gummy throttle body, higher air density
we have had a few CSV mornings in san diego lately, brrr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.