Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to separate side mirror base & elbow?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
My buddy & I were trying to figure out how to separate the base from the elbow on his early "sharp 90 degree" elbow side mirror for his 71 914/4 (see pic of the early type below fyi), so he can get it rechromed (base & elbow).

We got the nuts & tensioning springs at the bottom of the base & inside the SS mirror housing off okay, but there seems to be a retaining clip or washer up inside the base's "throat" where the mirror stem pivots for back-to-front adjustment.

Rather than screwing up his rare mirror by trying to force something, I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom here to see if there's a trick to it or special tool needed to separate the 2 pieces? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
.... BTW - not his mirror, for reference only as to early type.

popcorn[1].gif ........ TIA - Tom & Jerry! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
icon_bump.gif poke.gif confused24.gif

BTW - there may still be a washer stuck in there, with no clearance to coax it out, but Jerry has the mirror, so I can't look again.
underthetire
Not to hijack, but are they really rare? I have a early one with almost perfect oustide and a very good base, but the mirror glass is dark and stained. I have a late car, so I never put it on. How much about are they worth?
Tom_T
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 7 2010, 12:50 PM) *

Not to hijack, but are they really rare? I have a early one with almost perfect oustide and a very good base, but the mirror glass is dark and stained. I have a late car, so I never put it on. How much about are they worth?

Jeff, & all -

There's good info on them here -
http://www.p914.com/p914_mirrors_side.htm

"Rare" may be an overstatement on my part, since they're less common now due to the fact that Porsche now only sells the late style L & R new, and the lower no. of 914s produced between late-69 & early 72 MY, vs. 73-76 MYs - all with the later mirrors, wherein 73+74 MYs alone account for maybe 40% or so of all 914s.

The original passenger side early convex ones are probably truly rare, since it wasn't often optioned or added back in the day, & IIRC only Sweden & maybe 1 or 2 other countries required them on cars.

For yours with bad glass - I saw last week that George/AA (I know, I know dry.gif ) now has die cut mirror glass (flat) & the glass gaskets for both early & late styles.

BTW - I don't mind the hijack at all, esp. if it helps a fellow member! shades.gif
... heck, yours is even on topic, whereas I sometimes can stray! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.