Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driver's door key question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
If the driver's door is lock, I can insert the key and rotate it, but it doesn't unlock the door.

If I go through the passenger side, I can unlock the door, and the door handle works just fine from the outside.

I think I have read that there is a little plastic thingie that breaks. Anyone have better details than that?

TIA
markb
Go to my tech article in the info section (or my sig), look at the third picture, the one with the screwdriver. That's the piece that is broken in your handle.
KaptKaos
Thanks Mark.

Are replacements of those available?
Tom_T
Yes, in both plastic & metal IIRC, from the usual sources. Not sure if GPR carries them, or if Mikey914 might make a better repro one in metal. Might as well buy 2 for when the next one goes on the other side at some point. dry.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 5 2010, 10:06 AM) *

Yes, in both plastic & metal IIRC, from the usual sources.

I looked. I assume I am using the wrong name. Can't seem to find them.
KaptKaos
Anyone have a link for these?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Yes probably the door latch cam. That was the very first part we ever had manufactured and have sold literally thousands of them! Made from Nylon 11 and guaranteed for life, they are easily replaced and save expensive replacement of the exterior door latch! http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?Part...al_number=23075

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 4 2010, 10:55 PM) *

If the driver's door is lock, I can insert the key and rotate it, but it doesn't unlock the door.

If I go through the passenger side, I can unlock the door, and the door handle works just fine from the outside.

I think I have read that there is a little plastic thingie that breaks. Anyone have better details than that?

TIA

markb
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 6 2010, 08:54 AM) *

Yes probably the door latch cam. That was the very first part we ever had manufactured and have sold literally thousands of them! Made from Nylon 11 and guaranteed for life, they are easily replaced and save expensive replacement of the exterior door latch! http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?Part...al_number=23075

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 4 2010, 10:55 PM) *

TIA

If the key doesn't unlock the door, it's not the cam, it's the actuator.

Nice plug, tho, George.
r_towle
This piece is what you may need.
This thing unlocks the door.
The actuator opens the door (once its unlocked)

If you are going to the trouble, I would suggest you replace both pieces at the same time...the actuators are cheap and they do break with age.

The little piece (in the picture below) is fast to replace...as you see it just a screw and spring.
The actuator takes a bit more time, but its really simple to do once you have the lock in hand.
Take the door panel off and remove the whole latch.
Do the work on the bench and put it back in.
There is a screw hidden behind the rubber gasket on the side of the door that holds the unit in place...
Once the door panel is off, you can remove the handle in a few minutes...replace the parts in less than 30 minutes and be all done with the project in an hour or so, depending upon how many beers you have, and how many times your wife comes out to bother you.

Rich
KaptKaos
I'll replace both wear items and buy doubles for the other side too.

Problem is, I can't find the actuator anywhere. Someone got a link?
markb
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 6 2010, 11:12 PM) *

I'll replace both wear items and buy doubles for the other side too.

Problem is, I can't find the actuator anywhere. Someone got a link?

We have the new door cams ($13.99 each), and I have a box of actuators, I can throw a couple in the box for you (freebies), should you buy the cams from us.
KaptKaos
Thanks Mark. I will be in touch soon =)
KaptKaos
So I did a little recon today (along with my hydro-locking problem) and took off the door panel on the driver's side to gain access to this handle.

Click to view attachment

The nut at #1 in the picture is stuck to the stud and the nut and the stud rotate together. Therefore, I believe that the stud is broken at the handle somehow. It won't back out. Unless someone has a better idea, I think I will need to cut that nut off of there.

The allen bolt at position 2 came out just fine.

Any suggestions on what to do with #1?

TIA
URY914
Pretty common problem. Cut it off. When you break the tab off send it to me and I can fix it. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.