Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can ya'll help "leap frog" an engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sean_v8_914
sad story: I posted a while back about a customer who killed his own engine by leaving toilet paper in teh engien bay. he stuffed a wad behind teh battery. it was used to check the oil and placed there for future use. the "wad" got sucked into the fan and completely covered the fan. Type 4s dont do well on teh freeway without cooling air. He is a family guy and whith the 914 DOA he's down to one car and him and his wife both work. he cant afford a new engien but "trebozerimar" has a 1.7 for super cheap that would get Daniel back on teh road
perhaps we could get some 914world members to "leap frog" this engine down south.
KaptKaos
I'm near LAX. Would be happy to receive and hold for the next person so that timing isn't an issue for pickup/drop off.
'73-914kid
Get it to North County, we can get it to San Diego.
Bruce Hinds
For those of us unfamiliar with the names, please post the origin and destination.
sean_v8_914
santa rosa is up near sacramento ca. the destination is in san diego ca, it is the last major city on teh west coast before entering mexico.
we, the 914 collective have leap frogged cars and parts before. it might take a month to get it but the price is allways right. thank you
Borderline
I can help out in the Monterey Bay Area (south of San Jose)
silver74insocal
if you can get it to me in Rancho i can deliver it to your doorstep. spring valley is a regular commute for me. i just need someone to help me get it on the back of my truck. Just lemme know, Dave
jcd914
I know it is a be later than might be desired but my wife and I have been talking about driving Sacramento to Long Beach in early January to drop our son back off at school. Will be room in the truck.

Jim

sean_v8_914
that would be perfect. thats almost the whole way down. long beach to SD is easy.
what about santa rosa to sacramento? how long of a drive is that?
SLITS
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 6 2010, 06:45 AM) *

that would be perfect. thats almost the whole way down. long beach to SD is easy.
what about santa rosa to sacramento? how long of a drive is that?

90 miles ...............
r_towle
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 5 2010, 12:36 PM) *

the destination is in san diego ca, it is the last major city on teh west coast before entering mexico.

I thought it was in Mexico?
McMark
I can arrange Santa Rosa to Sonoma, then from Sonoma to Sacramento (next Family Reunion?).

I would need pickup info, is it already paid for, etc. Feel free to PM.
'73-914kid
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 6 2010, 02:11 PM) *

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 5 2010, 12:36 PM) *

the destination is in san diego ca, it is the last major city on teh west coast before entering mexico.

I thought it was in Mexico?

Depends on what part of San Diego...
sean_v8_914
not in mexico...is mexico-north
motor got sold to someone else. thanks for the effort guys. maybe another cheap engine will pop up for Danny.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 7 2010, 06:22 AM) *

motor got sold to someone else

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 5 2010, 11:12 AM) *

sad story: I posted a while back about a customer who killed his own engine by leaving toilet paper in teh engien bay. he stuffed a wad behind teh battery. it was used to check the oil and placed there for future use. the "wad" got sucked into the fan and completely covered the fan. Type 4s dont do well on teh freeway without cooling air. He is a family guy and whith the 914 DOA he's down to one car and him and his wife both work. he cant afford a new engien but "trebozerimar" has a 1.7 for super cheap that would get Daniel back on teh road
perhaps we could get some 914world members to "leap frog" this engine down south.

So, the original motor you line up is NLA
What happened to his original motor? did it seize up?

Pulling it out and rebuilding it may be fast considering 1.7 heads are sitting on shelves all over the country...and they are easier to ship.

Properly staged, it could be taken out, rebuilt and put back in during the same weekend.

Rich
rick 918-S
Any chance of doing a top end rebuild? Is the short block sound? I know it would be nice to freshen the entire engine but we were talking used engines before the 1.7 became NLA.
realred914
of course any engine should have the vw Bus style fan screen installed to prevent future occurances of fan blockage. it is amazing what them fans can suck up, this simple device can save an engine from this fate.

also a temp gage can help warn of impending disaster if the cooling system becomes compromised.
sean_v8_914
Daniel is a great guy just dont put a wrench in his hands. he blew a hole in a piston and the valves dont seat. I can do an engien r&r quick and cheap but If I tear into th eengine I have to warrantee it. I cant do a top end cheap. I just cant bring myself to do it. I cant force myself into slapping something together knowing that I saw something that needs correction or is marginal. I am just one of those guys that HAS TO MEASUE EVERTHING.
sean_v8_914
heads $x
gaskets $60
glue $x
piston and cylinder set $300
installation labor $x
top end rebuild labor $x
worms that crawl out of 40 yr old cars $x

he's in a tough spot
'73-914kid
I certainly can respect that sean. Once uou get the motor, let me know if you need help getting things back to running asap. Which car is this for by the way?
r_towle
well, either he looks at getting a used motor or another and cheaper used car.
I did not know you were doing this via your business...you do need to maintain your rep in your business.

Shade tree was my thought...a couple of guys can do a rebuild fairly fast.

Keep looking for a motor, call Easy in SF area...he may have a few laying around...call HPH also.
I know the local Porsche shops here will give me a core 1.7 for free...they have no need for it.

Look harder, you may find the perfect motor.
Or, save time and have the owner look.

Have him join here and place a WTB....do it on pelican.
Call the local porsche shops to see if they know of one for sale...one of them does.
Let him do all the leg work....you are in business, he just needs to find a motor.

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 7 2010, 06:22 PM) *

I did not know you were doing this via your business...you do need to maintain your rep in your business.

Keep looking for a motor, call Easy in SF area...he may have a few laying around...call HPH also.
I know the local Porsche shops here will give me a core 1.7 for free...they have no need for it.

Call the local porsche shops to see if they know of one for sale...one of them does.
Let him do all the leg work....you are in business, he just needs to find a motor.

Rich

I was thinking shade tree as well. Quick and dirty top end on a used lower end would get him down the road. I can understand where your coming from Sean.
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 7 2010, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 7 2010, 06:22 PM) *

Rich

I was thinking shade tree as well. Quick and dirty top end on a used lower end would get him down the road. I can understand where your coming from Sean.

Shade tree bro's
drunk.gif beerchug.gif chair.gif grouphug.gif poke.gif slap.gif
BuddyV
Sean -

sorry you missed the motor sale.

Sent you a PM with an offer for my other motor... a 1911.

Robert
sean_v8_914
Dannys story gets even worse. before he came to me, he spent alot of money at some questionable shops that took his money and did bad things to his 914. by the time he got to me he had spent about $4-5k on re-dos that were mistakes. 3 clutch cables in a year WTF? hello? something is eating them mr dip schit mechanic WTF. I could have made his car purr for less than half that...well I did. he was tapped so i charged him 200 bucks and removed, cleaned, tuned his SINGLE weber, adjusted valves, timing and fixed his alt belt that kept jumping off due to a bend bracket. also welded his clutch tube inside teh tunel carrier was wasted. the last shop removed the FI and installed a progresive single weber for a grand...and kept his d-jet

I hate seeing 914 people getting screwed by shops that dont know 914s. then they charge them for experiments and McGiever-isms...grrrrr.
rant off.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 8 2010, 08:38 AM) *

Dannys story gets even worse. before he came to me, he spent alot of money at some questionable shops that took his money and did bad things to his 914. by the time he got to me he had spent about $4-5k on re-dos that were mistakes. 3 clutch cables in a year WTF? hello? something is eating them mr dip schit mechanic WTF. I could have made his car purr for less than half that...well I did. he was tapped so i charged him 200 bucks and removed, cleaned, tuned his SINGLE weber, adjusted valves, timing and fixed his alt belt that kept jumping off due to a bend bracket. also welded his clutch tube inside teh tunel carrier was wasted. the last shop removed the FI and installed a progresive single weber for a grand...and kept his d-jet

I hate seeing 914 people getting screwed by shops that dont know 914s. then they charge them for experiments and McGiever-isms...grrrrr.
rant off.

Let us know where this is going Sean. Looks like you have an option maybe..
EdwardBlume
$350 for a running 1.8 - not related

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/2103211907.html
CL N CAL
EdwardBlume
Sean,

You sound like a stand up kind of guy. Stop in for a beer on me next time you are in the bay area.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.