Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What have I got?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dwillouby
Click to view attachment

Hello, Been planning to do a 911 ebrake conversion. I plan to use the cable system that Racer Chris sells. My arms allready have the 911 backing plates attached. They are mounted in the wrong position. Mt thoughts were just to rotate them around and go from there. I noticed the caliper mount has the ebrake shoe spacer made onto it. I dont think this is stock? Hope the photos help. I guess I will just machine the spacer off
David
Mark Henry
What year are your arms? 75 and up hubs needs some kind of spacer or something.
If they are later style give Eric Shea a ping and he'll give you the scoop on this.

This conversion works but not as good as a V-caliper kit from Eric (PMB).
dwillouby
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The arms are on a 76. Its allready five lug with 911 vented rotors and a caliperr I think. I havent seen any other 914 arms with this 911 style ebrake mounting. It may be custom
David
jaxdream
Your pics show what appears to be custom arms . The bearing boss and caliper mount look to be cast stel . Perhaps some old aftermarket hub setup ( Wevo ??) that is no longer available , but appear to be well done. Have you tryied to mount up a set of 911 e-brake shoes and cable setup ?? Might not be too bad of a mod to do with the arms in present configuration. The tab that sticks out is the anchor block for the shoes to keep them from rotating and twisting the e-brakr setup off the mount , so if you do remove it you really need to mount it or some other tab some where else. Check some of the threads on 911 rear e-brake setups , there are quite a few , check them out , then decide if you do really want to cut that tab off and figure some way to mount the e-brake setup . What you have is a very good start , just need to find a way to mount the cable and butterfly mechanism. Perhaps you could get a machine shop to cut the hub section loose , then have then rotate it down to the position that you want , just a thought.Good luck , there may be others that can post more info.

Jack / Jaxdream
SirAndy
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Dec 5 2010, 05:18 PM) *
Your pics show what appears to be custom arms.

agree.gif

That looks nothing like a stock 914 trailing arm. Someone did a lot of custom work to it ...

I would just run it as is. It's obviously already build to run a 911 e-brake setup. Why not use what you have?
confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
I think it's an old Velious mod. Someone has literally welded a late model 911 bearing housing on a 914 arm. Your arm also has pieces of a stiffening kit welded to it.

Late model (post 74) incorporates the hub centric hubs and a larger bearing. The wings out to the side will mount the 911 style dust shield.

That stop plate is stock and stout. No problem doing handbrake turns with that. I would run it "as is" as well... maybe have Terry make up custom cables. It's a very nice/solid mod.
Ferg
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 5 2010, 07:08 PM) *

I think it's an old Velious mod. Someone has literally welded a late model 911 bearing housing on a 914 arm. Your arm also has pieces of a stiffening kit welded to it.

Late model (post 74) incorporates the hub centric hubs and a larger bearing. The wings out to the side will mount the 911 style dust shield.

That stop plate is stock and stout. No problem doing handbrake turns with that. I would run it "as is" as well... maybe have Terry make up custom cables. It's a very nice/solid mod.

I had the same setup on my old six conversion, I agree, run it smile.gif worked well for me.

Ferg
Eric_Shea
You're missing all of the goodies though (shoes, pins, springs, more springs, more springs, clips, butterflies) wink.gif

Still worth hunting that stuff down (unless you have it off camera) and making it work.
dwillouby
Thanks for the replies.
I have all the parts I need for the ebrakes. ( complete extra set with plates) Yes the arms are boxed. My concern is the position they are now there is no good way to run a cable. I believe the bend will be too tight to work without kinking. The plan I had is to cut off the stop block Weld a new block to the backing plate, rotate it down and use the Tangerine Racing cable settup. I hate to cut up a good settup if there is another way?
David
SirAndy
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Dec 6 2010, 05:26 AM) *
there is no good way to run a cable. I believe the bend will be too tight to work without kinking.

Simple solution. Do a bell-crank. Search for Paul's (PRS914-6) thread on doing just that on his 911 e-brake setup.

That way, the cable does not need to be bend at all ... shades.gif
dwillouby
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 6 2010, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(dwillouby @ Dec 6 2010, 05:26 AM) *
there is no good way to run a cable. I believe the bend will be too tight to work without kinking.

Simple solution. Do a bell-crank. Search for Paul's (PRS914-6) thread on doing just that on his 911 e-brake setup.

That way, the cable does not need to be bend at all ... shades.gif

Thanks, Will look into that. I noted his cable pull is at 12:00 Mine is at 9:00 Still might work
David
Eric_Shea
Check Armando's site for factory routing. I believe it was down the spine of the engine and in. I remember seeing a GT with this setup and having the cables covered with heat blankets.
jaxdream
This is just a suggestion , you could drill out the housing in line with the hole for the cable , insert , weld in a tube that goes straight to that hole in the backing plate and run the 911 e brake cable through there. The way the 911 cable works is that the cable pulls in on the butterfly from the wheel side and the cable housing pushes the back side of the butterfly from the axle side compressing the butterfly to expand both sides of the shoe buttons forcing them out evenly against the drum part of the rotor. This would give a curve in the cable at the backside of the arm and possibly not be in the way of anything . Look it over real good , you may see what I'm propossing for a solution. Personnaly this is what i would try , rather than modifing the mount as it is on the arm . The bellcrank would work , except that it only works one side of the butterfly , unless you could figure a dual action way of working.
There was mention of using Eric's 914 v caliper which would solve your problem easily , just run a cable as per standard 914 routing , you already have the vented rotor . You do have some options as to which way to go . Good luck ...

p.s. I do admire that hub setup you have there , very strong.

Jack / Jaxdream
IronHillRestorations
That's a Velios trailing arm kit on there. You should be able to bolt up factory e brake parts.
dflesburg
user name "John"

also has blog on doing bell crank 911 parking brake.

thats how I did mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.