Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 keys as delivered
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pcar916
I have a 914 that has strayed a bit from stock. Does anyone remember which keys came with the car and which locks they went to?

- doors
- trucks
- glove box
- ignition

I don't have the owner's manual and although I've re-keyed the car, but it occurs to me that I never really knew how it was delivered.
ripper911
IDK, mine has two big silver keys.
The one with indentations on the sides cranks it, the other one unlocks the door.
pcar916
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Dec 5 2010, 02:43 PM) *

The one with indentations on the sides cranks it, the other one unlocks the door.

so one of them opens the trunks and glove box also?
Joe Owensby
Originally there were two keys. One opened the doors, glove box, and both trunks. The other only opened the doors. It was for giving to a repair shop, etc. when you did not want them to have access to stored items. the main key was black, and the restricted access key was red. Joe
Cevan
I have a black key and a red key. The black key opens everything and starts the car. The red key is the valet key and only opens the doors and starts the car.
Cairo94507
QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 5 2010, 05:18 PM) *

I have a black key and a red key. The black key opens everything and starts the car. The red key is the valet key and only opens the doors and starts the car.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. AFAIK, that is the way my first 914, a brand new 73, came.
Tom_T
Joe O., Cevan & Cairo have it correct, & Ripper - yours are the same keys in all metal. All Porsches of that era came with the red & black key set.

Red = limited access "Valet Key" with the extra groove which disables the tumblers on the trunks & glovebox.

Black = Owners Key & works all locks

Both work the ignition

These were the same key sets as used for 60's-80's 911/912/930/924/944/etc. up to the later "fancy" & electronic keys. They're still available from Porsche in both types with the Porsche name embossed/molded into it, & in no-name plastic heads - as well as the all metal basic keys like Rippers.

Most dealers & Porsche parts sellers can get them for you, if not in stock.

FYI - 73 ad - the 3rd more "roundy" key is the Audi type - but I've never seen any of them in real life with "911" & "914" molded into them as the pic shows, so it may be a touch-up job, since both 911s & 914s got both a red & black key new in this trapezoidal shape:t

Click to view attachment

driving-girl.gif driving.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 6 2010, 05:48 AM) *

Red = limited access "Valet Key" with the extra groove which disables the tumblers on the trunks & glovebox.

the red key also has access to the front trunk - the mechanic will need access to the break fluid bottle

read owner's manual page 10 biggrin.gif

zambezi
I have all my original keys and key fobs that were delivered with my car and they all have the embossed PORSCHE on them on both sides of the key heads.
tod914
Can Porsche make duplicate keys? All I have is the red one.
70_914
I only have the red key. Now I know why I can't lock the glove box...

Which groove do I eliminate to make a real key?
zambezi
I think the keys come with the grooves in them already. If that is the case just buy a blank black key and have a new key cut using the red as the master. They share the same cut but with different grooves.
JFJ914
QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 6 2010, 01:14 AM) *

Can Porsche make duplicate keys? All I have is the red one.

Yes, go see your local dealer
pcar916
Thanks guys! It appears I didn't re-key mine to specification. But teaching a valet to even start my car is just not gonna happen! beerchug.gif

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(zambezi @ Dec 6 2010, 06:58 AM) *

I think the keys come with the grooves in them already. If that is the case just buy a blank black key and have a new key cut using the red as the master. They share the same cut but with different grooves.

Good idea, bad plan. You buy BOTH new blanks, then have keys made from THE NUMBER. That way you have 2 NEW keys, not copies of worn out junk. Put away the new keys after you have 2 more made to use. Replace the "user" keys every year with copies made from the first pair.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.