Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Lid question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfish914
Since it looks like this outside
Click to view attachment

I decided to make a GT Lid for my car.
My question is after looking a a couple of threads and the member vender thread on the matter I have a question...
In one thread the end of the mesh near the window is not bent flat and the lid is cut to allow it to fit "inside" the metal lip.
The member vender the mesh area near the window is bent flat. The new screen area is attached in both using the original post.
Is there an advantage to having the mesh fit inside the panel??

thanks
computers4kids
QUOTE(kfish914 @ Dec 6 2010, 12:49 PM) *

I decided to make a GT Lid for my car.
My question is after looking a a couple of threads and the member vender thread on the matter I have a question...
In one thread the end of the mesh near the window is not bent flat and the lid is cut to allow it to fit "inside" the metal lip.
The member vender the mesh area near the window is bent flat. The new screen area is attached in both using the original post.

thanks

It will take considerable more time to have the mesh fit inside the panel. I've built them both ways and only did the flush fit for my own personal car. If I did it over again I would go with the easier route. I always flipped my second grills and rebent the mesh so it would look real nice against the contour of the body.
Click to view attachment
Here's a flush version that the grill sets inside the lid rather than on top of the lid.
Click to view attachment
realred914
note sure what your asking here. A friend on mine has the gt lid (a repro), but stopped using it cause it was more noisey in the cockpit , plus rain and wash water getting thru was an issue for him. so be aware of that .
I can maybe get by his place in the next day to look at his lid but I am not sure exactly what you is asking to check, you want to see the detail on the screen near the front edge of the lid (nearest the widnow)?????

I guess a photo of an original lid will help clarify what it shoudl look like. that would be best to replicate, not sure on the difficulty however of that. my friend lid is NOT an original so this may not be what you need as an example, as it could be wrong too.

good luck
VaccaRabite
I could not tell a noise difference between the GT lid and my stock lid without the rain tray.

But my car is always loud.
realred914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 7 2010, 09:27 AM) *

I could not tell a noise difference between the GT lid and my stock lid without the rain tray.

But my car is always loud.

yeah stock lid with rain tray was more quiet than the gt lid, with no rain tray I'd guess the noise would be higher. these cars is very loud compared to hondas!

when i got to drive my first modern car after decades of aircooled, I kept trying to restart the running car while stopped, cause i kept thinking it died on me. same thing for my dad after decades in VW's he kept thinking his new honda would stall at stops, only to find it actually was running.
kfish914
I hope these pictures will better explain what I couldn't in words.
Here is the picture with the mesh mounted flush (inside) the panel
Click to view attachment
Here is a picture of the mesh bent flat and mounted layed on top of the panel.
Click to view attachment
I hope this helps explain my question better. Not looking to make it look original just the "Look" of the GT lid.
I am not planning on driving in the rain, I know there will be a great chance that I can get caught out in the rain where I live, but will do my best to avoid it. I have also been thinking of ideas on making a rain tray (temporary) for those times I do. Need to wait and install motor to make a tray to fit correctly. Acrylic is easy for me to work with to make a mold to then make one out of fiberglass. I am thinking to have it use the original drain tubes and mount to the engine lid with magnets mounted on “legs” on the tray to give breathing room. Keep it stored in the rear trunk when needed. I also hope to buy a 914 “Umbrella “for when it will be parked outside while at work, etc.
Noise doesn't concern me too much. I took a ride in a 914 with a 2.7 (which I am installing) and loved the sound compared to my 1.8L. Now… I will be asking for noise reduction opinions to mount on both sides of the fire wall such as dynamat, second skin, etc to cut down as much as I can when I get to that point. (I do have a wife ya know). Yes I know they will add weight but not looking to race just looking to have a fun car to drive.
Thanks every one for your input. I will probably need a lot more before it gets on the road.
Rand

What's your opinion? It's not a functional difference, it's cosmetic. Personally I think it has a more finished look by fitting inside rather than overlaying onto the sheet metal. If carrying over the sheet metal, I would at least take it all the way to the edge rather than part way like the last photo.
realred914
the inside panel method looks cleaner to me.
computers4kids
xx
roadster fan
I built mine with the mesh fitting inside not overlaying and personally think it looks cleaner. That being said it takes time and effort to do right.

If you are going for the GT lid look, you can pretty much do it the way you want, as the real GT cars all had different techniques used. You can see them at Armando Serrano's great photo site. Seeing all those variations gave me the conviction to just do it my way.

Good luck and post pics of the progress,

Jim
carr914
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Dec 11 2010, 03:04 PM) *

If you are going for the GT lid look, you can pretty much do it the way you want, as the real GT cars all had different techniques used. You can see them at Armando Serrano's great photo site.

A friend of mine has a "Real" GT lid. It looks like a bunch of grade school kids made it. Remember that Porsche was really trying things without knowing if they actually worked ( ie GT stiffening) and were not concerned with fit & finish
kfish914
Ok, everything seems to have gone well except I don't think I got the bent right.
I flipped the grill 180 degrees and the front seems to fit well along that edge however where the new grill section meets the old grill in the center of the lid on both sides it wants to curl up at the corners. I can tweak it and make it fit, but I'm thinking that I may not have got the new bend right.
Anyone have any tips to get it to lay flat???

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.