Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sunvisors, What is Available?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maf914
Has anyone found a good solution for repair or replacement of old 914 sunvisors? I can tell the foam padding in my visors has long since disintegrated and the visors are pretty wimpy.

Mark (Mikey914), I was just on your site and the number of 914 products has really grown. I saw the sunvisor clip set you offer and it made me wonder if you could do a sunvisor replacement. Have you considered that? Thanks.
Valy
QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 6 2010, 01:05 PM) *

Has anyone found a good solution for repair or replacement of old 914 sunvisors? I can tell the foam padding in my visors has long since disintegrated and the visors are pretty wimpy.

Mark (Mikey914), I was just on your site and the number of 914 products has really grown. I saw the sunvisor clip set you offer and it made me wonder if you could do a sunvisor replacement. Have you considered that? Thanks.

If you drop the requirement for the vanity mirror, the sunvisors are pretty easy to recover.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup we sell recovered in the original material but no mirror

QUOTE(Valy @ Dec 6 2010, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 6 2010, 01:05 PM) *

If you drop the requirement for the vanity mirror, the sunvisors are pretty easy to recover.

ConeDodger
Appearance and Performance 914 in the Member Vendor section does them.
SUNAB914
Look up this sight. Vinyl Specialties INC in Depew NY. I haven't used them yet but I heard a few have and it was a great job for a reasonable price.
Hope this helps
underthetire
I was able to re-fill mine with expanding foam. 1st one came out not great but the second one was ok. Think if I tried it again it would be even better. I have pictures somewhere on how I did it. Cost me 1.99 at wallyworld.
914itis
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 6 2010, 06:46 PM) *

I was able to re-fill mine with expanding foam. 1st one came out not great but the second one was ok. Think if I tried it again it would be even better. I have pictures somewhere on how I did it. Cost me 1.99 at wallyworld.

pics please!

need to do mines
bandjoey
I tried the foam. Put the visor in between 2 boards in the vice, and pumped in a can. The foam expanded great...about 4" worth around the now exploded seams. sad.gif I put less in the 2nd one, and it came out uneven and lumpy. What I didn't like - other than the lumps - is that it's as hard as a board. Usable but will be replaced.

Didn't work for me. Check the hot rod sites. There are lots of places you can send the frame to and they'll pump out a visor.
Mikey914
I'm actually working on these right now, I will have the mirrors too! Just alot of other items going, but I had planned to anounce this once the production details had been finalized.
nsr-jamie
Wow!! That looks great!! My visors are in need or repair too....I would be interested in a set depending on prices.

One little thing I just learned after all these years of 914 ownership is you can actually tighten them up with a single twist of the philips screw....my visors use to hang down and were so loose...every bump I would have to move them back up and after a couple of minutes they would just come down again....tightened up the screws and they are really tight now, almost too tight...I like it and hard to believe it took me 15 years to figure that out....how dumb eh? Still learn new things everyday. Cheers beerchug.gif
nsr-jamie
Mark,

Will those come in vinyl or leather? Looks kind of like leather in the picture....very nice looking....glad you are around to help us out with these parts. I would vote for you as 914 man of the year if they had that award.
ellisor3
Here is where I sent mine. I think $99 a pair. They look fantastic, but no mirror.

http://www.autosunvisors.com/index.html

maf914
Guys, Thanks for all of the suggestions and leads. Looks like there are a few good solutions available.
maf914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Dec 7 2010, 04:24 AM) *

One little thing I just learned after all these years of 914 ownership is you can actually tighten them up with a single twist of the philips screw....my visors use to hang down and were so loose...every bump I would have to move them back up and after a couple of minutes they would just come down again....tightened up the screws and they are really tight now, almost too tight...I like it and hard to believe it took me 15 years to figure that out....how dumb eh? Still learn new things everyday. Cheers beerchug.gif

For some reason on my car after raising and lowering the visors repeatedly over a few months, the pivot pins in the visors gradually work themselves into the visor and eventually they slide out of the mounting clips and down comes the visor. This is really annoying, as it tends to happen just as the sun is in my eyes and as I lower the visor it comes off and now I have a loose visor in my hand. To remount the visor I then have to loosen the pin retaining screw and draw the pins further out, remove the outer mounting clip, reinstall the visor and clip, then snug up all of the screws. Now the visors are back in place, working like they should, untill they fall off again. headbang.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 6 2010, 09:01 PM) *

I tried the foam. Put the visor in between 2 boards in the vice, and pumped in a can. The foam expanded great...about 4" worth around the now exploded seams. sad.gif I put less in the 2nd one, and it came out uneven and lumpy. What I didn't like - other than the lumps - is that it's as hard as a board. Usable but will be replaced.

Didn't work for me. Check the hot rod sites. There are lots of places you can send the frame to and they'll pump out a visor.

Yes, they do get hard, but thats better than the saggy old lady tits ! As far as the lumpy, thats because of the old foam chunks still in there. I think a solution is to crush all the old foam with a dead blow first, so the foam can get in all the way, but then again if Mikey is re-doing them why bother? Oh ya, i'm a COSB beer.gif
Mikey914
I was planning to make them available without a core, but didn't even think about doing a run with cores. The problem I though was getting enough together a one time to make it cost effective. If I could get 20 sets together I could do these with the mirror for for about $85 a set. I'll start a group buy and see where this goes. I'll also have to get one with the mirror done for some pictures.
-Mark
codices
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 7 2010, 10:14 AM) *

I was planning to make them available without a core, but didn't even think about doing a run with cores. The problem I though was getting enough together a one time to make it cost effective. If I could get 20 sets together I could do these with the mirror for for about $85 a set. I'll start a group buy and see where this goes. I'll also have to get one with the mirror done for some pictures.
-Mark

I'm sure interested in a group buy.

Dave
arkitect
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 7 2010, 08:14 AM) *

-Mark

Mark,
I have about 3 sets of these laying around that I would gladly send for cores to get one set of good ones with mirror, plus your cost.

Dave
Mikey914
QUOTE(arkitect @ Dec 7 2010, 07:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 7 2010, 08:14 AM) *

-Mark

Mark,
I have about 3 sets of these laying around that I would gladly send for cores to get one set of good ones with mirror, plus your cost.

Dave

Looks like it's officially time to start a group buy. Plese just list on the thread and when it reaches critical mass I'll make it happen. I just need to do 20 sets to make it happen. I would also offer the visor clips at a discounted price as an additional incentive, to mak it more attractive.

I have a feeling that there are a few of you that may need these, I know I do.

flipb
My original set is in the front trunk. Too floppy to keep installed. I'm in for a new set & I'll send you the old cores if you want to go that route.

veltror
...shrug.... might as well have a pair i am replacing everything else
bigkensteele
I am in! Do you need a core set?

I just saw the other thread - will respond over there.
RFoulds
I had heard once that 924/944/968 visors fit. Has anyone tried that?

Also, if outside vinyl is intact, mirror and flap are good, and all seams still sealed, is it possible to simply slice open the vinyl, slide in a new fiberboard, and then reseal??
Mikey914
The 944 visors are a different shape and mount system. You may be able to make them work, but probably wouldn't look right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.