Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tomorrow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLITS
My thanks to all, living or deceased then or now, who served, lived or died in Pearl Harbor.

My thoughts turn to my Dad, long gone, and those who allowed each of us to be what we are.
KaptKaos
+1000
Dr Evil
Real metal
KELTY360
Word
shoguneagle
Exactly my thoughts this time of year; this is the time I remember all my military friends and buds who made it back as well as the ones who went to a higher calling.

I am there with you, Slits.

Steve Hurt
Retired Military
27.9 years
rick 918-S
Wished I could have served. Thanks to your dad and mine.(Korean war USS Brownson) This is the last bastion of freedom on earth flag.gif . We need to thank those that allowed us to be free and protect this country against all enemies foreign and domestic.
Lou W
Thanks to all who served to keep us safe. My dad was in the Navy during WWII, his ship was on it's way to Pearl Harbor, along with their sister ship, my dads ship survived an attack but their sister ship didn't. My dad said that he lost some good friends.

It's funny, as time went on, I would ask my dad questions about the war, but he never really wanted to talk about it. All he would say was "I did what I had to do". He was a very proud man.

flag.gif
messix
my uncle served in the pacific.
he arrived in pearl with in days of the attack.
he passed away last year.
the term the greatest generation seems so fitting.

flag.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Lou W @ Dec 6 2010, 09:21 PM) *

Thanks to all who served to keep us safe. My dad was in the Navy during WWII, his ship was on it's way to Pearl Harbor, along with their sister ship, my dads ship survived an attack but their sister ship didn't. My dad said that he lost some good friends.

It's funny, as time went on, I would ask my dad questions about the war, but he never really wanted to talk about it. All he would say was "I did what I had to do". He was a very proud man.

flag.gif

agree.gif

My father was a CB and help build the burma road. He would never really talk about any of his time there. When asked all he would say is he hopes I never see what he seen. He has been gone for 20 yrs now, but I wear his wedding band and have carried one of his dog tags on my key chain since I was sixteen. Just my way of keeping him with me.

RIP
PFC Earl M Shaffer
1917 - 1989
MrHyde
My Grandfather was in the British infantry.. He's still with us, but I fear not for too much longer.. When his memories were still with him, he used to talk to me about all the times he got shot up. Still has the shrapel stuck in him and quite a few scars from " close calls".. Brave men they all were
DblDog
I am fortunate to be able to look the east and see Mt Diablo from where I live. Every year on this day, and only this day, they light a beacon at the summit to remember those who served to defend our country. My Dad served in the South Pacific for two and half years. He was a chief pharmacist's mate on the destroyer tender USS Dixie...like most who served, he never talked about it much...and I miss him like crazy.
michaelt55
My dad was injured critically on Iwo Jima with a massive head injury. He survived and he is 86 and still with me. In fact he climbed all over the USS Texas with me last year. His generation will never be equaled. They gave great sacrifice and never asked for anything back. Wish that was a trait that existed today.

Michael
USN Ret
MikeSpraggi
We must never forget those that served and those that gave the ultimate sacrafice for this great nation. We ALL need to keep it a great nation, like those before us. Even with it's faults, I love this United States ......

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

This is for my dad who served in the U.S. Army in the european theater ... still with me.
jcd914
A Salute to all those that served flag.gif

My dad was at Pearl Harbor Dec 7th, 1941 and I am named after a friend of his that was on the USS Arizona and survived.
My dad was a Gunners Mate on the USS Hulbert (destroyer/tender) docked in the sub docks, since (as he would say) the Battle Wagons were in. The Hulbert is credited with downing 1 torpedo bomber, assisting in downing a 2nd and is believed to be the first ship in the fleet to open fire on the enemy.
My dad too talked very little about his time in the service, in fact I only know these bits about the USS Hulbert from research I did after he past away.
My father in law used to talk about his time in the Marines in WWII when I had him as a teacher (in Jr High) but very little since then and I heard stories none of his kids heard.

flag.gif

Jim
timofly
Slits,

Good on you for starting this thread. We all should remember...My Dad passed on May 30, 1991 and not a day goes by that I don't think of him.

Dad was Army, waiting to ship out on the Normandie when she caught fire and burned at the pier in NYC. He then shipped out on the Queen Mary and went 1/2 of the way around the world, to Australia. He spent 18 months at a place called Merauke, New Guinea, air dropping supplies to troops in the Owen Stanley Mountains.

He was overseas for almost four years, with only one 30 day pass home in that time. I never heard him bitch about it. He was 24 years old and "lost" four years of his life for his country, so it pisses me off when I hear college kids complain about repaying their college loans. Grow up.

RIP, Dad. You did it all and I thank you for that and 1 million other things as well!
BiG bOgGs
My Grandfather served in the pacific in the Signal Corps. He was one of the guys they dropped onto Japanese controlled islands with a radio, and had them send reports about enemy movements. His main source of food was canned chicken. To this day he doesn't eat chicken.

After receiving shrapnel in his gut, he watched in the operating room mirrors as they removed the pieces with no anesthetic. At just over 5ft, and MAYBE 100lb. when wet, he is one of the toughest men I have ever known.
hasaramat
My uncle was a prisoner of war in Vietnam for 7 1/2 years. He was shot down over North Vietnam on his 1st combat mission in 1965. He is one of the most amazing men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He is still going strong. He won his class at the Reno Air Races this year at the age of 70. We all love him very much. Thanks to all who have served.Click to view attachmentHim crossing the finish line at Reno (285mph). Click to view attachment Him on the fire truck
Maltese Falcon
Thx for posting this up SLITS . I was really moved when I went to the memorial in Pearl a few years back. If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can speak english, thank a soldier !
Marty
Spoke
Thanks to all who serve and served our country to make it the superpower it is today.

My dad was in the 10th armored division stuck in Bastogne in Dec 1944. He never thought he would make it out of Bastogne alive.
DNHunt
My dad was on the USS Maddox in WW II and recalled for Korea. During the Korean conflict they were at battle stations for 43 days continuously, a record for the navy. He came back with what we now call PTSD. He never talked about it and the little I've found out came from reading online. One of my deepest regrets is disagreeing over Vietnam with him. I think my antiwar position hurt him deeply. Time and experience have taught me that somethings that seemed so clear and simple in youth are a lot more complicated than they first appeared.

The fact that my dad sacrificed years of his life and suffered so that I could have the right to disagree with a policy put forth by the government he fought to defend haunts me to this day. In all of our conversations he always said "You are an American, you have the right to disagree." The greatest generation is certainly true.

Dave
rjames
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Dec 7 2010, 03:09 PM) *

My dad was injured critically on Iwo Jima with a massive head injury. He survived and he is 86 and still with me. In fact he climbed all over the USS Texas with me last year. His generation will never be equaled. They gave great sacrifice and never asked for anything back. Wish that was a trait that existed today.

Michael
USN Ret

My grandfather was injured on Iwo, too, and thankfully for me and the rest of the family it was injujry enough to keep him home. We are all very proud of his service and of all others who served as well.

That generation accomplished so much, and in my view, won't be equalled again.
michaelt55
QUOTE(rjames @ Dec 8 2010, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Dec 7 2010, 03:09 PM) *

Michael
USN Ret

My grandfather was injured on Iwo, too, and thankfully for me and the rest of the family it was injujry enough to keep him home. We are all very proud of his service and of all others who served as well.

That generation accomplished so much, and in my view, won't be equalled again.

was he with the 5th Engineers? Dad was curious.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.