Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does this come out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
I am trying to remove the dash trim plate around the front of the dash to make a template. I have it removed everywhere except arount the cigarette lighter. It looks like there is some type of crush ring behind the lighter. How do you get this off?? I tried pulling it straight out but it will not move.

WTF.gif
SLITS
You have to keep working the spring washer back and forth till it comes off the barrel of the lighter housing. Small steps ... pain in the ass, but it can be worked off.

Sorry ... no quick solution .... small screwdriver or ? to work the fingers of the washer.
jaxdream
Maybe one of those small sets of hook probes available at you FLAPS might give you some purchase on that little devil . I have removed a few of these , and as Slits said -PITA !!! But can be done . Good luck ....

Jack / Jaxdream
EdwardBlume
Its amazing how much a PITA some of the things are in the 914. You have to be a contortionist to put things together sometimes...
mepstein
I just took mine out the other day. I wasn't trying to save the trim plate so I held the area on both sides of the lighter and gave it a good tug. It popped right off.
r_towle
if you have already removed the heater controls, and I mean removed all the way...you can come at it from that hole with a screw driver...a bit easier than laying on your back trying to reach up there and do it.

I have also found that if you grab the back of the lighter and push it out, while rocking it side to side it will move that washer slowly.

Its one of those one way washers with teeth that go on, but dont come off. If you manage to apply the right pressure, the teeth flip in the other direction...not all at the same time, but rocking it, twisting it, and pushing all at the same time does the trick.

Now that I think about it...I think I used a long screw driver and a hammer to tap the teeth so they loosen up...you end up wrecking the washer a bit, but you can bend it back later once its out of the car.

Rich
realred914
yup one way teeth, so just keep at it, I dont know if new lock rings are available if you can find one, then simply tear it off. else care full rocking and prying will do it, that is how I done mine.

good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.