Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raising the shifter...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I had an idea that I've found on at least on car before. I'd like to raise the shift knob to better clear my new Momo seat and be closer to the steering wheel. My idea is to combine and extended shift lever with a short shift kit. I'd expect I could work it so I have nearly the same resolution and shifting speed as to not wear out the brake bands.

Opinions?

This is the car I found that did it:

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...p;mode=threaded
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
r_towle
short shift kit sucks.
do you have another shifter handle?
If so, cut it and try it that way.

I have often thought about raising and pulling the shifter back toward me.
Really raise it, like 4-6 inches.
I figured I could cut the top of the tunnel to make room for the shifter bar, but I suspect the ujoint would bind up and I would need the jwest setup or something totally new.

Everything I think about it the idea of a boxter cable shifter seems to make more sense....lots of other guys have solved that problem of how to make that work....then you can mount it wherever you want, and have nice shifting for good.

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 7 2010, 08:12 PM) *

URY,
A few random thoughts.
ALL THAT STEEL

Cable shifter is lighter.
Cut off the top of the tunnel , or drill 2 inch holes in it....way to much steel there.

Rich
stownsen914
I raised the shifter in my 914 track car something like a foot, and then cut the shift lever down to about 8" or so. It sits next to and slightly below my steering wheel, and I am very happy with the setup. No short shifter needed, since shortening the shift lever shortens the throw.

Scott
realred914
my old VW microbus had the factory optional shift extender screwed into te top of the shifter, allowed folks with short arms to reach it easy. that was back in 63.
yeahmag
How does it feel with the added length? Is the throw super long now?

QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 7 2010, 05:08 PM) *

mwyatt
I'm curious to see what others have done as well. I have a short shifter, which I like, but it is a long reach to the lever. Can I weld an extension to it?
URY914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Dec 8 2010, 02:59 PM) *

How does it feel with the added length? Is the throw super long now?

QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 7 2010, 05:08 PM) *

I wouldn't say the throws were super long but maybe a 1/2" longer. I do have a little more leaverage now that it is longer to it sorta feels like it goes into gear easier.
TonyAKAVW
I did a cable shifter conversion and raised the shifter up quite a bit. I like it a lot. I use a Toyota MR2 shifter which kinda sucks, so eventually I'm going to fab my own.

-Tony
yeahmag
Tony,

Do you have pictures of the conversion?

-Aaron
partwerks
Are there any other cable shifters besides the MR2 that would also work?

Anybody have pictures of the shifter?
pcar916
Here's one place.

http://www.cableshift.com/Website/catalog%20page.html

And if you look at the GT-40 Forum site they almost always use cable shifters with G-50 and 930 transaxles. There's a lot of fabrication goin' on there.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-technical-forums/

Here's a fellow that made one from scratch. You can get some geometry from this, although it's for a tail-shifter.

http://www.etischer.com/914cableshift.html

Good hunting!
Chris Pincetich
My shift knob rests at about 4'oclock in relation to my small steering wheel. I have the rennshifter bumped up almost half an inch just low enough so the shift rod does not rub. I added a "ricer" bolt-on extension to the top, then drilled that and added a big knob on top of that. So, it is a short shift kit (rennshifter at 33% throw reduction) with an extender.
Luv it beerchug.gif
Some day I will just add a draft beer tap handle (have several in my beer stuff collection) to the shift rod for the ultimate bolt-on extender beer3.gif
THAT will probably piss-off the AX race tech inspectors, so the idea remains on the shelf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.