Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Baby it's Cold Outside
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john grier
Yeah it's cold here!
And I am driveing my 914 as a daily driver.
Is there anything that I should be concerned with?
The only proplem that I have noticed is that it takes awhile to shift right,
as it is cold and has to warm up.
And the door does not want to close the way it should. Sometimes.
SLITS
That 90W oil in the tranny takes a while to get liquid in cold temps.
Gint
I drive mine in the winter if snow isn't expected. All the time in fact. You need to make sure your drive is long enough yo get the oil up to full temp. Other than that, nothing to worry about as far as I'm concerned.
r_towle
go to 70 weight gear oil in the tranny for the winter.
Start it in neutral with the clutch out, let it warm up a bit till the gear oil gets warm.

Funny how you find things like the door that wont close when 20 degree air is coming in....lol
Fix the door.

Rich
Elliot Cannon
It's sure a pain in the a$$ when it gets cold. I had to put the roof back on this month. lol-2.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 7 2010, 05:39 PM) *

It's sure a pain in the a$$ when it gets cold. I had to put the roof back on this month. lol-2.gif

You mean you actually left the warming blanket and your house to go outside?

john grier
I think I will drive it a few more days.
Most likely they will start laying down salt brine next week.
I will not drive it then.
I plan on putting it up for the winter this weekend.

How long should it idle to get the tranny fluid warm?
Or do you have to drive it to warm it up?
smontanaro
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 7 2010, 07:31 PM) *
Fix the door.

Any suggestions about potential cause/solution? I've been meaning to post about this problem, but as the snow has flown here in Chicago, my car is in for the winter, so I didn't worry about it too much. My right side door has always been a bit recalcitrant. Now I can't get it to close at all. I can manually flip the little horsehoe thingie (latch?) and get it to release with the inside or outside handle, but it won't engage the post on the door jamb. I think everything is in adjustment. When I messed with it a bit a couple years ago I couldn't get anything to move around anyway.

Skip
john grier
All I was told about the door was that I need to lubricate it.
Before the cold weather it would close with the touch of a finger tip.
914 shifter
shift early, and double clutch till she warms up type.gif
MDG
My first 914 was my daily driver for most of the 80s. I'd let it idle for just a few minutes only then easy shifts until it warmed itself up. It never let me down. December through March I'd take the Mahles off and put snow tires on an old set of steel rims. Awesome!!

Of course the last time I went to jack it up it pretty much broke in half so . . .

snow driving in a 914: good.
road salt in a 914: not good.

your results may vary.
Richard Casto
Ahhhh memories. In the late 1980's a 914 was my daily driver. It had no heat and I had a 45 minute drive from home to college. Nothing like driving with the window cracked a bit to prevent the windshield from fogging or icing up on the inside on a below freezing winter day.
jd74914
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Dec 7 2010, 11:06 PM) *

Ahhhh memories. In the late 1980's a 914 was my daily driver. It had no heat and I had a 45 minute drive from home to college. Nothing like driving with the window cracked a bit to prevent the windshield from fogging or icing up on the inside on a below freezing winter day.

agree.gif Or driving 45 minutes from work to your dorm without heat in single digit temperatures. Cold, like fingers turning blue inside your lobster gloves, cold. After doing that for a while I really appreciate my new car. That said, I'll take a 914 with snow tires over any other car in the snow. biggrin.gif

Rich is right, the 90W gear oil does get pretty viscous. It literally would take me 45 minutes of driving to warm it up. huh.gif
hot_shoe914
Christine loves the snow!

Click to view attachment
jd74914
Oh yeah... remember to clean the snow from the wheel wells and rocker panels. At least on my car it builds up pretty quickly!
r_towle
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Dec 7 2010, 09:03 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 7 2010, 07:31 PM) *
Fix the door.

Any suggestions about potential cause/solution? I've been meaning to post about this problem, but as the snow has flown here in Chicago, my car is in for the winter, so I didn't worry about it too much. My right side door has always been a bit recalcitrant. Now I can't get it to close at all. I can manually flip the little horsehoe thingie (latch?) and get it to release with the inside or outside handle, but it won't engage the post on the door jamb. I think everything is in adjustment. When I messed with it a bit a couple years ago I couldn't get anything to move around anyway.

Skip

Start a thread, show pics of your door closed, the gap etc.
I dont use litheum grease anymore...it gets to dirty.
Old grease can turn into stone when its really cold...almost the consitancy of frozen peanut butter...
Remove the latch and clean out all the old grease...then lube it.
I use teflon lubricant I get at the bicycle store.....its magic.
Its called Tri-Flow
Rich
jt914-6
When I lived in Salt Lake City in about 15 degree weather I had the CV bolts break leaving a stop light. It fell on the shift bar and bent it...A pic of my cold 914 many years ago....

Click to view attachment
Cevan
It was 6 degrees when I left my house this morning. Brrrrr.
r_towle
It feels like it is still 6 degrees out.
Dang....

I noticed that with the right tires, these cars are alot of fun, but you really need to raise up the suspension or they can easily get high centered on about 6 inches of snow...

Its kinda like a snowboard.

I am enjoying my nice warm bmw this year, but the rear wheel drive makes it very interesting for me...its been a long time since I had RWD in the winter...
I have the VAN for backup and its FWD and a tank in the snow, so I figure I will take that when its deep.

Rich
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(john grier @ Dec 7 2010, 08:57 PM) *

Our roads are already white with the brine mix they spray down. My teener is tucked away till spring now.

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 10 2010, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(john grier @ Dec 7 2010, 08:57 PM) *

Our roads are already white with the brine mix they spray down. My teener is tucked away till spring now.

Zach

slap.gif

Wusss.

Daily driver, wash the salt and snow off sometimes. Dont follow too close to the big tractors. Always steer into your skid biggrin.gif

I have found that no heat daily drivers are fun with gloves, the dash vent open, and lots of speed. I also noticed that since i used the second skin product in my car. It is a little warmer. Mabey its in my head smoke.gif
larss
Had to move her the other day without roof and doors in -4F/-20C .... freeezing cold!

/Lars S

IPB Image
cary
Ditto on Rich's comments. My two boys drove 2 of my cars everyday thru high school in MT. The 2 plates inside the latch gum together when in gets real cold. Take them out and soak them in solvent overnight. Sometimes it takes a couple time to get it all out.
Bleyseng
For you guys who drive in cold weather get one of these...
Wow, this morning when I washed the truck it was really cold out, 81F..almost had to put on shoes instead of flipflops.. dry.gif
larss
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 11 2010, 03:40 PM) *

Wow, this morning when I washed the truck it was really cold out, 81F..almost had to put on shoes instead of flipflops.. dry.gif

I have one similar but mine is bolted to the case and replaces the oil strainer cap so it goes into the oil. Works fine all the way down to -35C...at least. It also warms the trans oil a bit.
Yours looks easier to fit Im sure it also works well.

/Lars S
jd74914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 11 2010, 08:40 AM) *

laugh.gif I took that exact heater off my motor when I rebuilt it. Its sitting in a box and I had completely forgot about it until you posted that picture.
Cevan
Drove it in the snow today! Ok, it was only a dusting.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Drums66
QUOTE(john grier @ Dec 7 2010, 05:29 PM) *

Yeah it's cold here!
And I am driveing my 914 as a daily driver.
Is there anything that I should be concerned with?
The only proplem that I have noticed is that it takes awhile to shift right,
as it is cold and has to warm up.
And the door does not want to close the way it should. Sometimes.

I 2nd driving her a long while! idea.gif (short hops no good!)
(BTW- move to south cali fast...it's going to be 90 degrees this weekend )laugh.gif
bye1.gif driving.gif
Spoke
Just got my booster fan installed this week for the cold weather.

And yes, that is PVC tubing painted black for warm air guides.

TJB/914
Brrrrr, it's cold outside. Temp. this morning is +10 with wind chill @ -7 degree's. I am looking out my office window at a large "Red Tail Hawk" looking for breakfast. I have a bird feeder out there with lots of small critters and he knows it's an easy meal when he's hungry.

Rules in the outdoor wildlife jungle: Everyone is someones meal!!! sad.gif unsure.gif

Tom
Drums66
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 14 2010, 07:20 AM) *

Brrrrr, it's cold outside. Temp. this morning is +10 with wind chill @ -7 degree's. I am looking out my office window at a large "Red Tail Hawk" looking for breakfast. I have a bird feeder out there with lots of small critters and he knows it's an easy meal when he's hungry.

Rules in the outdoor wildlife jungle: Everyone is someones meal!!! sad.gif unsure.gif

Tom

...Cool shot Tom.... thumb3d.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 11 2010, 03:56 PM) *

Just got my booster fan installed this week for the cold weather.

And yes, that is PVC tubing painted black for warm air guides.

Why didnt you just use ABS? It is black. confused24.gif
bandjoey
Boy it is cold here today. I has to put on a sweater this morning. It makes up for the Cowboy season. santa_smiley.gif
1stworks
I used to ride motorcycles year round now i use this in my 914.
Works great!!!!!
Toasty warm.
http://www.gerbing.com/collection.html#...amp;activity=44
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.