Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: calling any engine gurus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver74insocal
not mine but was wondering if anyone can tell waht happen by these pics..i guess the engine only had 2000 miles on it and was very zippy

any ideas? Dave

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii26/ra...;cpZZ6QQtppZZ16
bam914
Looks like it blow the stock headgaskets.
silver74insocal
his add says it dyno'ed at 160 hp and that its a 2 liter..could it be possible?
Jake Raby
My god that thing was lean and hot!! I am with Blake but detonation can cause that too, especially at the area closest to the spark plug.

This is why it's so important to verify AFR.
r_towle
160 HP, no.
Tuned, looks like it was off.
He may have tuned it for optimimun HP and that is what happens when you do it.
I am with Jake here...an AFR would have been a good addition to the tuning tools that he used.
To lean, to advanced.
It may have made 160, but it only lasted for a day.
Need to retorque heads after breaking in...

How much does he want for it?
You can fix that,,,its just money.
If the tub is good (I did not look at all the pics) its worth saving.
Engine can be fixed easier than rust.

Rich
Tom_T
IIRC Rich, he already has the car. If it's a 75 & smog exempt in Ecotaxifornia, then he can mess with a non-stock engine a bit.

Dave, maybe Jake can get you set-up with a 2270 with a reliable "close to 160 hp" in a kit or build from this core?
... then there's also FAT Performance down here in Orange/OC who builds hot T-4's, if you want to stay closer.
silver74insocal
nah thats not mine...i have a running 1.8 but am always keeping an eye out for the mis informed or un lucky people who have to part with stuff for less then what it is worth.

lean: is that apparent from the carbon on the piston tops and CC's ?
is that head completely toast?

i am just curious and love the honest and expert opinions you guys offer up on a daily basis here .

BTW this is from a CL add in whittier CA.

thanks for all the responses fellas, Dave beer.gif
r_towle
how much? how is the tub?
I would toss the head...I bet you can find way better core heads for less than you would spend fixing that one.

Rich
r_towle
so, how much?
To me, a northeast guy, that tub looks fantastic.

Rich
r_towle
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/2090322433.html

To much for that pile.

Rich
silver74insocal
the car is listed for 3500 i can find the add if someone is interested...no affiliation
i inquired about the engine but he isnt willing to part out...yet that is happy11.gif
Jake Raby
Its possible to get 160HP from a 2 liter.. Our record is 207 HP from a 2013cc engine, but it cost more than 20K to build 3 years ago. You can get 160HP from a 2 liter with a RAT 9700 cam, LE 200 heads, 10:1 CR and a real header... I've done it.
silver74insocal
its interesting the comments you guys made about the longevity of the engine because if you look at the link you can see the engine was built by a local drag racer who has done pretty well with type 1's
sad story, he was recently gunned down at his shop (good ole LA)
so this guy has no warranty.

i cant help think maybe he was too used to building engines that went REAL fast ..for a few moments...

i share your opinion on the car Mr. Towle, those are a dime a dozen out here...Dave
r_towle
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 8 2010, 02:36 PM) *

Its possible to get 160HP from a 2 liter.. Our record is 207 HP from a 2013cc engine, but it cost more than 20K to build 3 years ago. You can get 160HP from a 2 liter with a RAT 9700 cam, LE 200 heads, 10:1 CR and a real header... I've done it.

Not saying it cant be done, you have proven more than once that it can be done.
Looking at that motor...and those heads....it might have been close, but I agree with you that he may have tuned it for ultimate HP and sacrifaced the longevity at the end of the day.

I think Wally on STF stumbled into a combo that does great with a turbo.
Might also do great just NA if you built it.
It may also be a valid kit.
It is a 66mm stroke with 103 mm jugs...
He is close to 400hp now with the turbo..
That may be very interesting without the turbo...hmmm

RIch
MartyYeoman
Why would you put such a highly modified motor in a car that requires California bi-annual smog inspections? screwy.gif
silver74insocal
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Dec 8 2010, 12:44 PM) *

Why would you put such a highly modified motor in a car that requires California bi-annual smog inspections? screwy.gif

biggrin.gif i didnt even think of that! im not quite sure the owner knew exactly what he was getting into....

Hey Rich, what's STF?
Jake Raby
if you look at the link you can see the engine was built by a local drag racer who has done pretty well with type 1's

Typical.. The T1 and TIv share nothing in common of significance, except they are HO engines with 4 cylinders, running gasoline.

Most of the misconfigurations I see come from similarly assembled engines.

Hector was a great guy, I've NEVER heard of him assembling a TIV before, though.
silver74insocal
in your collective, expert opinion(s), what would this engine be worth as it sits? any ideas?
i may contact this guy for more info on it, as he says he has docs on the engine rebuild...just curious if it has p and c , crank and cam info, for post-2-1117899824.gif and giggles

TIA, Dave
r_towle
That motor...not to much.
I would suggest you offer him a real offer of 1k for all of what he has.
See what he says.
Take the car, put a used motor in it and sell it for 3k...done
Keep the motor and learn.

STF is ShopTalkForums

Rich
silver74insocal
wow that would be ideal Rich, even if i could get the whole car for a g, and sell it for a g, i would have a free engine to fiddle with!! poor guy says he dropped 11 g's into this thing...
r_towle
While I feel bad for him, he has the same option..put a used motor in it and sell it.
If you get the car running, you will get your money back, but selling a tub with no motor for 1k is a real stretch in this economy.

Keep in touch with the guy and make an honest offer of 1k...worst that can happen is he says yes.

rich
silver74insocal
if only i had a barn!!! biggrin.gif
Al Meredith
The heads appear to have come from a 912E. Check out the threaded holes in the square bosses at the bottom of the heads. On a 912E these were used to secure the unique heat exchanger to the head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.