Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Winter Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So,
This is the thread to keep me working and document what I am up to .

First, I have an admitted aircooled problem.
Two of these are my sons cars, but I made them drink the koolaide.

Rich
r_towle
Here is how I got her...all cut and torn and looking like she needed to be shot.
I almost put her down...then I found a roof.
r_towle
Isn't the back part just a work of art.

r_towle
So, not to worry all you guys, I found a roof section and got that installed...
I did head down the road a bit further with the speedster concept till I found the roof...but I only wasted time and one rear deck lid in the process...

This car had no floors, rear torsion tube removed, front torsion bar suspension removed (cut out entirely)

He had planned to put it on an IRS VW pan, but that project became to much for him.

I have since replaced the floors, I am now finishing up the rear IRS welded in 911 suspension, and I am thinking about what to do with the front suspension..
I may just do with a 914/911 setup just cause...and that way we can claim it as a valid 914world thread...cause its gonna have 914 parts in the car.

Its to bad he stripped this car, but he needed the money so he sold off the motor, trans, all the original disk brakes etc...
I can get some of it back, but I dont want to.

This car was headed for the scrap heap, so I feel ZERO guilt about making this what I want and damn the religious KTF guys.

I have a numbers matching one in the back to do later in life...that will get the full treatment if I ever feel the need to have a numbers matching 356.

Rich
shoguneagle
Rich,

Congratulations on the find and keep going because you are willing to spend time and money to bring it back from the dead. I read the other thread.

It is a great project and one worthwhile. If you were not doing the work, it would just rust away. You are bring back a junkyard special. Make the changes you feel that are necessary to get the car roadworthy and costworthy. Remember you are doing the build for your enjoyment and future owners' enjoyment. If it requires you to make changes you deem necessary and hopefully a better car, then do it.

People who have built or are building non-original 914s, Corvettes, Alfas, Lotus', etc are making changes which most people enjoy. Your car falls into this category as well as originality.

I am going to enjoy watching your project come into full flower. I really like what you are doing. Originality is great but in your case there is not much originality to work with except for a chopped up body. Make the changes you are planning and get that car on the road.

Same advice would go to Sir Andy regarding his 914-6 body.

Steve Hurt
rick 918-S
Build a fixture that will hold the front 914 chassis and the 911 rear chassis sheet metal, Build a floor between the front and rear chassis' with 356 floor pans and longs, then set the body over the married chassis and weld. Add sheet metal to tie in the engine compartment and front nose and inner wheel houses to the 356 fenders.

Piece of cake. Red Velvet cake.. drooley.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 8 2010, 06:40 PM) *

Build a fixture that will hold the front 914 chassis and the 911 rear chassis sheet metal, Build a floor between the front and rear chassis' with 356 floor pans and longs, then set the body over the married chassis and weld. Add sheet metal to tie in the engine compartment and front nose and inner wheel houses to the 356 fenders.

Piece of cake. Red Velvet cake.. drooley.gif

Same idea, backwards.
Build the floor, get it square, level and held solid.
Put the rear suspension in place measured off the floor.
Make a jig from the rear suspension and floor to set the front suspension square.

Same thoughts....just I chose to start with the floor so I had a stable place to measure from...that took me a year..I think you adviced me more than once on how to get started...lol

now that I am going forward..the rear requires that I cut the tube in half to make room for the new transmission, trailing arms etc.
I am making that a bench built unit that I will weld in as a single unit..

I will most likely cut the front clip off for the front suspension..it is pretty simple to remove and it will give me access to the whole inner structure to measure. weld and get it all done.
The front sheet metal is really just spot welded at the trunk lip, and I can cut the fenders in front of th cowl and take the whole nose off in a piece...

the bonus is I can get behind the front of the nose and hammer and dolly out all the dents whiles it is off.

Its cold here...metal work and fire are fun in the cold.

gonna chop it too.
And maybe...but I will wait on this one...do a split window thing..
I may or may not do that.

the little b-pillar will be deleted and I will be using some more moderen windows and a few other tricks.

this is one of those cars that has been in planning for way to long..lots of details sorted out...now its just time to do it.

The thread does what we all know it does...it will make me work on it at least once a week.

RIch
hwgunner
Sounds like a cool project. I will be watching this one. beerchug.gif

jonathan
hwgunner
rick 918-S
I was going to suggest a mild chop. happy11.gif That will get the CCW's riled up! unsure.gif

You could actually lower the shell over the chassis and do like the hot rodders do when they tunnel the floor to lower the body. The wheels would look really tucked. aktion035.gif

I would try to get a 911 rear clip and rear floor. That way you could use the 911 part where the transaxle is mounted.

914 front trunk, towers and front floor to the gas peddle + 356 floor pan + 911 rear section from the tunnel to the 6 cylinder engine surround sheet metal = Red velet cool cake! chowtime.gif
r_towle
I have all that...who are you talking to bud???
I have all the jig saw puzzle parts...a 911, two 914s. and this.
I was gonna go down to a speedster windshield but it would be to low.
a pre-a windshied is about 2 inches shorter....just right IMHO.
I feel its a perfect height cause I happen to have one here...lol
Anything lower that that is custom...and that makes me thing 2 inches is a perfect chop.

17 inch fuchs repros are now available.
Considering airbags for parking....just cause.
Rich
Chris Pincetich
If you can afford it, bag it and let the fun begin beerchug.gif
r_towle
its on the list, but it may be simple enough to set it low and leave it there...that is the goal.
I think for what I am trying to do, bags are overkill and wont ever be adjusted...
It will be very low.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.