Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replaceing carpet and the steering joint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I am putting in new carpet, well.... not new but better than what I have. The carpet is coming out of my 76. I need to remove the joint on the steering column to take the carpet out of the 76. I assume I will need to do the same to install it in the 73.

Questions:

1) How do I take the joint apart so I can get the carpet out of the 76? I've un-bolted the bottom joint, but I am not getting any movement to slide it off the shaft. I assume I can bang it off with a BFH, but I'd like to be able to put it back.

2) I assume I will need to do this with the 73, and I don't want to mess up the steering. So when I take it apart, is there a trick to getting it back together so that I don't mess up the steering.

OR

Am I being a pretentious ass and I should just cut the carpet and be done with it.

TIA
Krieger
When you say unbolt, did you actually remove the bolts? The bolts need to be removed. That long shaft has a notch on each end where the bolts prevent the shaft from sliding off the joints. Once those bolts are out the u-joints shout be able to slide on the shaft. I have only removed the entire assembly then disassembled, so I don't know if there is enough movement to allow removal. You may want to try some fiber to help further loosen.
KaptKaos
I removed one side only. Should I assume it only goes back together one way? If so, that's a good thing.
silver74insocal
couldnt you score or mark each part to help with reassembly? maybe a couple of pics too confused24.gif hopefully you keep this thread updated im hoping to have this issue soon as well beerchug.gif Dave
KaptKaos
The shafts are have splines, which means that it's adjustable, which makes sense. It also means that I will likely cut the carpet to get it out and then in, as I really don't want to mess that up.
r_towle
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 8 2010, 08:57 PM) *

Am I being a pretentious ass and I should just cut the carpet and be done with it.

TIA

yes
silver74insocal
im still not sure how marking everything wouldnt work confused24.gif
r_towle
Its simple.
the front tires wont move while you do this, so focus on the steering wheel.
To get that shaft off, you need to remove the lower dash pad.
You need to remove the four bolts that hold the steering shaft to the dash
remove the wiring to the wheel
loosen both ujoints...you can position them such that you can only put them back on one way, hard to describe but when you lay down and look, you cant get the lower one off unless its pointing a certain way.

Pull the steering shaft away from the dash and remove the upper joint from the steering shaft, then remove the lower unjoint from the steereing rack...

You can now replace your carpet properly.

Or, you look above the steering shaft as you stand outside the car...hmm cant see it can you.
Sit in the car...can you see it now?
Kneel normally...can you see it yet?
OK, stuff your head under the dash (dont forget your light) NOW you can see it.

That is why I said just cut the carpet....
You wont see it, and if you got straight up, you end up glueing it to the firewall anyways..so you can glue the seam, its rubber.

Rich
KaptKaos
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 8 2010, 09:45 PM) *

im still not sure how marking everything wouldnt work confused24.gif

I think it's more of a cost/benefit analysis. Is it worth all of the effort and aggravation to take it all apart, and then put it all back together, when a simple cut will suffice?
r_towle
I think you may know my opinion regarding your statement above at this point poke.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Don't cut the carpet!!!!!! Remove the lower dash pad unplug the turn signal wiper and ignition, remove the four bolts that bolt in the column and shaft drop all and pull back from the steering shaft that goes through the bulkhead after removing the pinch bolt and nut. It is fairly easy. Dr 914 can replace a complete carpet kit in 45 minutes! (maybe when I was younger!!!!)

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 8 2010, 06:57 PM) *

I am putting in new carpet, well.... not new but better than what I have. The carpet is coming out of my 76. I need to remove the joint on the steering column to take the carpet out of the 76. I assume I will need to do the same to install it in the 73.

Questions:

1) How do I take the joint apart so I can get the carpet out of the 76? I've un-bolted the bottom joint, but I am not getting any movement to slide it off the shaft. I assume I can bang it off with a BFH, but I'd like to be able to put it back.

2) I assume I will need to do this with the 73, and I don't want to mess up the steering. So when I take it apart, is there a trick to getting it back together so that I don't mess up the steering.

OR

TIA

Jakeodoule
sawzall-smiley.gif
I cut mine, when reglued there is no way you can see it unless you lie on the floor and stick your head in under the dash....
I forgot all about it till this thread.
Even my wife when she had her head down there didn't notice. but thats another story.

Seems like a total waste of time when its nothing that will effect the outcome, performance,looks, or life of the carpet. Especially if your installing used carpet.

Even if going for concourse, I cannot imagine a judge looking to see if you cut your carpet during install. If glued right there is no way to tell.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Dec 9 2010, 08:29 AM) *

Even my wife when she had her head down there didn't notice. but thats another story.

IPB Image
Valy
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 8 2010, 05:57 PM) *

Cut, cut, cut! Been there, done that. Glue the carpet back to the wall and nobody will know.

You forgot to consider one risk:
The shaft connector is probably rusted and stuck. When you try to release it you actually pull the shaft from the steering rack. Try hard enough and you'll get yourself a new steering rack...
smg914

Even if going for concourse, I cannot imagine a judge looking to see if you cut your carpet during install. If glued right there is no way to tell.

You'd be surprised. I guarantee you at Parade or Zone 1, David Cheek and Pat Garvey would find that.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
DO NOT CUT THE CARPET It is easy to undo the steering column and specifically if you have factory original carpeting NEVER CUT IT! The shaft also helps hold up the carpeting. Since the u joint is inside the cabin it never rusts anyway and is easy to separate.

The factory carpeting is very expensive and irreplaceable.

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 9 2010, 01:26 PM) *

You'd be surprised. I guarantee you at Parade or Zone 1, David Cheek and Pat Garvey would find that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.