Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel/Expansion Tank and Charcoal Cannister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
I am currently rebuilding the car after sitting in the shed for 11 years and part of the process includes refurbing the fuel system.

The fuel tank has been cleaned internally and powder coated externally.

I was wondering if I could just leave the expansion tank and cannister off when re-installing the tank?

The car is not a going to be my daily driver and I will never fill the tank to the brim. I would block the line to the ex tank.

Is this dangerous? What are the risks if I don't re-install these parts?

While on the subject, what is the best, safest, most reliable fuel delivery system for my car?

I have a 2.4 six running 40 IDA's and I'll be using Racer Chris' SS lines.

Do I have to run the return line or can I use just the feed line?

What is the best fuel pump to use and do I have to use a pressure regulator?

Thanks,

Phil

Mike Bellis
The tank needs to breath. You can crush the tank like a tin can if the vent is closed and the fuel pump removes fuel. If you want to remove the charcol canister, make the vent line longer and route it outside the car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(phillstek @ Dec 8 2010, 10:03 PM) *
I was wondering if I could just leave the expansion tank and cannister off when re-installing the tank?

I did and i regret doing so. With more than half a tank of gas, every time i go around a corner, i get heavy fuel smell inside the car ...
And whatever you do, DO NOT plug the vent! I routed the vent line inside the larger drain hose, so overspill gets routed under the car.

I'll be going back to the stock expansion tank and charcoal canister.
shades.gif
r_towle
tank needs the expansion tank to keep the fumes from getting in the cabin.
The little hose from that, I routed it down and out the bottom of the car like every car up until 1972 used to do.

Rich
McMark
agree.gif

Don't abandon this system. It doesn't save you anything and can cause you headaches... literally.
realred914
the carbon tank does a nice job of reducing smog with no negitive impact on performance. stick with it, the expansion tank is needed for expansion, or sloshing in the tank,. it is needed, the tank must be vented, else yo pump may not be able to pump, and the tank could collapes if the pump is strong enough to suck aginst the high vacuum.

make darn sure the hoses to teh air cleaner form the charcoal tank are intack seals and clean. any dirt in these hoses can get into the engine (the hose bypasses the air cleaner) one thing that i have seem fail is the flex hoses in the fender wells for the charcoal tank breathing, make sure these are not failed, else raod debries can be sucked into the motor.

the expansion tank can also help prevent a tragic fire in your garage, topped off tank on a cold day, then you put it ina nice warm garage, and the gas expands out on the floor, now add an ignition source, and poof!!!!! byebye car, garage, home etc....

so put all that nice non -power robbing stuff back. also note if your car ever will need a smog test (laws are getting stricker) that a missing charcoal tank and expansion tank can cause a fail of the smog test.

good luck
phillstek
Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to re-install the ex-tank and can now.

As I'm running a 911 motor, should I just vent the can outlet with a plastic pipe back under the fuel tank and out of the body where the rack comes through? Or down the side under the sill and into the air cleaner or what?

1972 MY cars don't get smog tested here and only fail inspection due to oil smoke/leaks (via a visual check).

Is the fuel return line from the pump back to the tank vital? I've only had a send line since converting to a 6 (blocking the inlet at tank). Is this dangerous/stupid?

Thanks again,

Phil
SLITS
Return line is not necessary, but what it does if you pipe it through a regulator is supposedly supply cold fuel to the carbs.

You have a port (maybe) on your fan housing that you can tap supply air from and send to the charcoal canister. If you still have the plastic lines running thru the driver's side rocker, it's an easy hookup. The return line from the canister would then tap into your aircleaner to burn the vapors.

Hookup was small hose from the tank to the expansion chamber to the charcoal canister. Charcoal absorbs the vapors. Air blown thru it takes the vapors back to the engine.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.