Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT RANT: ID Thieves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty
ar15.gif ID Thief fighting19.gif

All ID Thieves must die slow painful deaths! He even has crappy taste in cars (A 2000 Eldorado?) I will find him. He *will* have an accident.
Jake Raby
wow, let me guess what happened...- DAMN!
415PB
Get locked mailboxes with slots in them. Dont be a victim. We had a huge rise in ID theft. We were catching assholes actually following the damn postal delivery person, taking out mail as fast as it was put there. It takes years to recover from a crime like this one. And of course there are all kinds of other ways they can obtain your info, but from what I see, the whole mailbox thing is booming. Oh and run your credit report often.
d7n7master
My credit card has been scammed twice - DOOOOHHHH!! in two days. Thankfully it was resolved thru their fraud dept... two months later...
campbellcj
Wow...that is scary shit!

But I betcha a lot of the scammers have better credit than me! laugh.gif

I had some credit cards physically stolen a few years ago, which was a moderate hassle but didn't cost me a dime, but this new "virtual" stuff takes it to a different level. fighting19.gif
scotty
there are all kinds of other ways they can obtain your info

Yeah. I shred everything. There was no break-in to my home or cars. The guy's got my SS number, drivers lic number, and home info. No clue how he got it. Must've been a medical office...or the good ol' Oregon DMV

I got lucky and found out early...an eager beaver car dealer called me at home instead of calling the cell number the guy gave him (No, I didn't order an Expedition). Called Eqifax and the others right away.

Did you know that some dealers don't check your credit before they let you drive off with a new car -- the guy got a loaded 2000 Cadillac Eldorado! If they'd checked my credit, they would've caught the Fraud Alert. At least the have tape of the transaction and a photocopy of his really good fake license.

Dummies. Not my problem, except...

...the bastard drove by my house and tried to steal my mail in his new Caddy! Had to turn around in my driveway 'cause I'm at the end of a dead-end street. I wasn't sure if it was him: didn't know about the caddy at the time, but I jumped in my car and followed long enough to get a lic number. Found out later it was him. Now I wish I'd rammed the hell out of him and run him off the road (some nice drop-offs in the west hills)

got a call from the caddy dealer's credit agency after that (damn, it was him)...told them the bad news...

Last monday night, they guy came by and stole my steel locking mailbox and post (boxes are at the end of our dead end street, I'm on the other)

Good news: All I'm out is a really nice locking mailbox and post (he had to rip it out of the cement -- the neighbors down there heard nothing) $200 and change and I'm not responsible for the caddy or anything else. beer.gif

Bad news: I haven't caught him yet. fighting19.gif
...and I've been forced to spend time and $$$ covering myself (plus having to buy an alarm system)

ar15.gif meth fighting19.gif
BGman
My friends think I am crazy- but I shred nearly every piece of mail that I receive. I am sure that it won't keep it from happening to me- but hopefully will help. (I have actually convinced two guys at work to do the same- one learned the hard way)
-g

ps- if you buy a shredder- spend the extra $$ for a good one. the $20 ones will last you 3 months.
Mark Henry
I thought we we're immune to this shit out in the country, but a guy just got caught stealing mail, from mailboxes, in the next township. I'm rural, so we just have the old country mailbox on a post with the flip up flag. Our mail comes at 11:00 so we always go and get it right away.

I burn all of our papers. Been lucky so far. <_<
scotty
Canada has Crime??? ohmy.gif

wink.gif
Mark Henry
Ever seen "Trailer Park Boys"? biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
Scarry stuff. ID Theft is big biz, and really painful. I had a friend who's Mom was dying of cancer... last few days, and had her info stolen from her hospital bed. The ***** who did it was caught thankfully.
scotty
"Trailer Park Boys"?

laugh.gif Ohhhhh, day-am! No, but I just read the episode guide! The Great White North knows how to do comedy! Looks like I need to take another trip to Quebec City soon... even if I have to watch it in French!

...I really like this episode:

If I Can't Smoke and Swear I'm F*cked

Julian and Ricky & Bubbles start a plan to commit small crimes in Sunnyvale. So they start up a gas business (stealing gas and then selling it). The boys launder the money through the girl's beauty salon. But Lahey always seems to have a stick up his ass and suspects the boys are up to something.
Lahey has the idea to use video surveillance to catch the trio operating an illegal gas station. The whole ordeal leads to Lahey and the boys into court.
The title of the episode refers to Ricky when he is stuck in court and declares "If I can't smoke and swear I'm f*cked" because he cannot defend himself without smoking and swearing. The Judge allows him to smoke and swear in the courtroom, but how will he be able to save himself, Julian and Bubbles?...
Rusty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 25 2004, 04:35 AM)
Ever seen "Trailer Park Boys"? biggrin.gif

Nope, but I've seen "Strange Brew" lol2.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Mark Henry
Trailer Park Boys is a hit in Canada and Australia and has a cult following in parts of the US.

Total morons, just what you would expect low IQ (non-meth head) petty crooks to be like.

Rusty, dude, Strange Brew? That’s like totally eighties...very early eighties. Those were hosers, these are losers. laugh.gif
GWN7
Trailer Park Boys is now being shown on BBC America (channel 264 for those with a DSS system) Thursday nights I believe. And the first season is out on DVD. eh!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.