Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taco plate leak - Need you help / inside
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Hi everybody,

I’m having a leak issue at the taco place and was wondering if you have some advice or experienced similar issue.

It appears that the plate leaks only in one area – see picture. The engine has been sitting on my work bench for a few months after rebuild, hence is leaking even at cold temp.

- I checked the plate on a mirror and it appears to be flat and the overall condition looks very good – no nicks nor bents or scratches at the sealing surface.
- New o-ring and copper washer have been installed.
- The M6x10 hex screws have been tighten to spec.
- The crank opening measures 84.2mm, the taco plate’s o-ring surface measures 76mm and the o-ring is 4mm thick.

It takes only a little bit of force to put the plate in place with mounted o-ring and it appears that plate is already touching the crank-case w/o torquing down the screws.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Dragan

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jaxdream
There is a cover plate that goes over top of that plate , it has a paper gasket sandwiched between that plate and the cover plate. The small hex bolts go on top of the cover plate with the copper washers underneath them , maybe your hex screws have bottomed out not allowing the plate to being further snugged down giving some seapage. Maybe aquire the said cover plate and gasket and try to remount. You might just need to double the copper washer stack to get more clamping force on the taco plate. Good Luck......

Jack / Jaxdream
yeahmag
The cover is not an issue here... I'd get new copper washers and o-ring and redo the job using Loctite 565 on the o-ring. It's the same stuff that Jake Raby uses on pushrod tube o-rings.

At least that's what I did and mine is dry as a bone... While you have the plate out inspect it for burs that could nic the o-ring.
McMark
- I checked the plate on a mirror and it appears to be flat and the overall condition looks very good – no nicks nor bents or scratches at the sealing surface.

I'm guessing you set the 'rim' on the mirror? You could still have dimples at the mounting holes. Those dimples could seat on the case before the seal has made 360* contact.
draganc
Thanks for the tips guys!

I checked the screws and they don't bottom out w/o the plate.

I thought about using Loctite 565 (I searched Jake's posts about it), however, I'd like to understand first why it's leaking.

And yes, I put the "rim" on the mirror and good point about the dimples at the mounting hols. I'll take the plate of and will post a picture of it.
draganc
Dang it's cold out there...

Here are some more pictures of the taco plate. After further consideration, it looks OK but then it's always a tick off from one side to the other - in the range of about 0.2-0.3mm.
I guess I'll replace it with a new one and a fresh o-ring and sealing washers.
If that doesn't work, I'll try Locite.

Thanks again for all the inputs! You guys aktion035.gif

Dragan

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
looks like the o-ring was sitting skewed from that last pic.
Also might want to take a hand file and flatten down where the bolts go...that shiny area may mean the holes are contacting first.

Rich
draganc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 9 2010, 08:23 PM) *

...flatten down where the bolts go...that shiny area may mean the holes are contacting first....

Rich

agree.gif

Thanks Rich!
ChrisFoley
I checked a taco plate with sender and it measured 76.9mm diameter at the seal surface. Thats quite a bit bigger than 76mm. Maybe there is something wrong with your taco plate and a new one would cure the leak. They have always fit tightly for me.
Anyone else have a measurement?
realred914
try another plate, maybe it is bent? you should not need glue on the o-ring, o-rings are actually designed to move a bit as things expand/contract, glue can compromise that. me thinks something is bent on yours. one photos appear to show a lop sided plate where you can see the o-ring more on one side verses the othes.

good luck

also PS you might try coloring the o-ring with a flet pen marker, then assemble, them take apart and see if the color might show where teh contact is not being made??? just a might help you see where the defect is.

draganc
@ Chris, I guess the 0.9mm would do the trick.
@realred914, that's a good idea with coloring the o-ring!

I just order a new taco plate, o-ring and sealing washer and will post some pic with measurements of the new parts.

Thanks again!
Dragan
draganc
see below:
draganc
Guess what just flew in from Germany?
I guess I found the proof in the pudding – my old taco plate is trash. I measured the new plate and it matches what Chris has measured. However, I did notice that the sides are not as curved as the old plate. I will install the new plate with a new o-ring tomorrow and should see an immediate change – I hope.
Below are some new plate-measurements for future reference.

Thanks again for all the inputs! beerchug.gif
Dragan

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
markb
Oooo, purty!
Black22
Where did you order that shiny taco from? I want one!!
draganc
QUOTE(Black22 @ Dec 15 2010, 09:23 PM) *

Where did you order that shiny taco from? I want one!!

P/N: 039-101-267

As of yesterday, there are 4 left with Porsche USA. Call up you local Porsche dealer and they should be able to order it for you. Std. delivery is w/o extra cost and you will have it in about 4-5 days.

Cost? Whooping $55.

Dragan
mtc911
What is the proper torque on the bolts?
bobboinski
QUOTE(mtc911 @ Oct 3 2019, 07:12 PM) *

What is the proper torque on the bolts?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=taco+plate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.