Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: factory /6 front engine mount torque
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
laflaur
Title says it,I am puting the engine back in after some maintenance and went to look for the torque values...not in the workshop manual...couldn't find it here...couldn't find it on the bird board.
Any of you /6 guys got it for the three nuts and one bolt on the front factory mount?
TIA
John
laflaur
Anybody?
r_towle
what is the diameter of the bolt/nut?
I can find you a chart that shows all the proper torque for each given size fastener...or Cap'n Crusty will tell us.
Like this...GIYF
http://www.cncexpo.com/MetricBoltTorque.aspx

Rich
mskala
I know I have this at home in one of the manuals. Had to use it recently. I will look it up later.
laflaur
Thanks for the link,Rich.
That would be great Mark.
I found a reference in the haynes manual on page 75 to tighten the engine mounting bolts to 22 ft-lbs, does this sound right?
r_towle
how big are the bolts?
What diameter?

That is the key, what grade and what diameter will tell you what the torque of the bolt must be..or how much you can do it before it breaks.

Capn knows all this in his head.

Rich
laflaur
the nuts are 17mm m10,and if I am reading the chart in the link correctly would be 53 ftlbs.
the bolt is also 17mm m10
ConeDodger
I guess you have the day off John? I will PM you McMark's phone number if you want. He will know.
laflaur
Het Rob,
Yeah day off and trying to get the motor back in,Webster is coming over to give me a hand.I the fan off to rebuld the alternator and went to button it up and couldnt find the specs anywhere..thanks for the number
ConeDodger
QUOTE(laflaur @ Dec 10 2010, 10:41 AM) *

Het Rob,
Yeah day off and trying to get the motor back in,Webster is coming over to give me a hand.I the fan off to rebuld the alternator and went to button it up and couldnt find the specs anywhere..thanks for the number

Cool. Get 'er runnin'
r_towle
QUOTE(laflaur @ Dec 10 2010, 01:27 PM) *

the nuts are 17mm m10,and if I am reading the chart in the link correctly would be 53 ftlbs.
the bolt is also 17mm m10

Careful,

Bolts are graded based upon hardness and tensile strength.

At grade 8 you would only torque it to 37 ft lbs
At grade 10 you would torque it to 53.

Look at the top of the bolt for a number.
Those are three common grades of bolts.

If you have no stamp, no number, assume that 22 ft lbs is correct, or go to the hardware store and buy grade 8 bolts.

Rich
laflaur
Thanks Rich,
I am going to go with 8.8 and 22 ft lbs
mskala
QUOTE(laflaur @ Dec 10 2010, 03:31 PM) *

Thanks Rich,
I am going to go with 8.8 and 22 ft lbs

I guess I don't have that, I was remembering the 3 bolts needed to remove the engine.
laflaur
Thanks for the effort Mark.
I nevr found the value in either the workshop manual or online. I found 1 reference in the Haynes manual in the engine removal section right after the infamous"installation is the reverse". It referred to 22 ft lbs and with that I decided to go with 8.8 nuts and an 8.8 bolt.
If it had said 53 ft lbs I would have gone with 10.9 hardware.
It is weird that the factory style mounts are not even in the facory manuals!
No picture and no torque value.
They are not in the parts book either
MDG
QUOTE(laflaur @ Dec 10 2010, 07:48 PM) *

They are not in the parts book either

They are - just not where you'd think to look. They are in the parts catalogue lumped in with Fuel and Exhaust (section 2). Same page as the -6 heat exchangers
laflaur
Yeah I saw the ones in the part book...but.. they don't show the bolt part number only the nuts.
As far as I can tell it is not possible to figure out whether they are grade 8 or ten from the part number,hence the torque value,
which is why I asked!
Thank you for replying Michael.
John
mskala
Both 914-6 engines I can see right now have 4 studs for the mount, there is no bolt.
Not that it really matters.

QUOTE(laflaur @ Dec 10 2010, 09:38 PM) *

Yeah I saw the ones in the part book...but.. they don't show the bolt part number only the nuts.
As far as I can tell it is not possible to figure out whether they are grade 8 or ten from the part number,hence the torque value,
which is why I asked!
Thank you for replying Michael.
John

laflaur
Hey Mark,
Well that would mean that along the way, someone took the stud out of the front of my motor.
Thanks for the info!
John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.