Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flux wire weld
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
is it difficult to use a flux wire welder? what are the do's and don'ts to make it easier?
Cap'n Krusty
I've heard you get nasty welds. I use gas.

The Cap'n
r_towle
it works fine and in windy situations its even better than a gas shielded system.
You may hear everyone tell you that you cant use it and you must spend he extra 3-500 to buy a gas shielded unit...but that is not true.

It can be done, but it will create larger welds, and more of a mess due to the flux that spatters all over the place.

with the larger welds comes even more heat. So you need to learn to weld in spurts or you will burn through the metal.

Get the welder...or rent one to learn.
Get a piece of 20 gauge sheet metal.
Put it on the bench or a cinder block and learn how to write your name with the welder.
When you can write your name, without burning through, and with a solid well penetrated weld, you are ready.

check your learning by looking a the back to see how consistant the color is.

Rich
914itis
Thanks Rich, I was told its hard to get it to stick. I just picked up 110 volts one to try, I guest I will have some fun.
jd74914
agree.gif

Rich's tips are spot on. You can do most anything with a flux core welder. In addition to his tips, you need to be aware of that your work will require more smoothing, and will be more prone to cracking if/when you work it with a hammer.

I weld flux core, MIG, and TIG at a somewhat advanced amateur level quite often; they all have their place. My first 914 was just about entirely welded together with flux core. smile.gif
r_towle
Its all about being clean before you weld.
Write your name....you will get the hang of it from there.
Play with all the lower settings for sheet metal...try each one.

If you are having problems. post a pic or two of your welds.
You can do a couple of things.
move to slow or to fast
Voltage is to low or to high
Gun tip is to close or to far away.

Rich
914itis
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 9 2010, 09:05 PM) *

Its all about being clean before you weld.
Write your name....you will get the hang of it from there.
Play with all the lower settings for sheet metal...try each one.

If you are having problems. post a pic or two of your welds.
You can do a couple of things.
move to slow or to fast
Voltage is to low or to high
Gun tip is to close or to far away.

Rich

Thanks. will keep you posted!
realred914
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 10 2010, 07:29 AM) *

try another plate, maybe it is bent? you should not need glue on the o-ring, o-rings are actually designed to move a bit as things expand/contract, glue can compromise that. me thinks something is bent on yours. one photos appear to show a lop sided plate where you can see the o-ring more on one side verses the othes.

good luck

also PS you might try coloring the o-ring with a flet pen marker, then assemble, them take apart and see if the color might show where teh contact is not being made??? just a might help you see where the defect is.

gas sheild gives better cleaner stronger wleds in general, is easier, specailly for the learner. i highly recommend you try to rent a tank and set up as gas shielded. the cost of the tank rental may not be that bad when you consider the solid wires is cheaper, and you will be making less scrap, and require less clean up (grinding)

gas sheild is superior not doubt. much easier to master, it is were it is at. welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif
charliew
Just my old guy input. I have welded with a stick, mig and tig and torch. Not wire flux but I have seen wire flux mild steel welds and there is a lot of cleanup. You will spend the difference in the gas and flux in time and money on cleanup. Grinder wheels burned up metal and wasted time is not my favorite way to do repairs with metal. My sons company actually welds stainless with a mig and they are good at it, had I known how well it works I might have never bought a tig. Although it still is needed for aluminum.
914itis
QUOTE(charliew @ Dec 10 2010, 02:18 PM) *

Just my old guy input. I have welded with a stick, mig and tig and torch. Not wire flux but I have seen wire flux mild steel welds and there is a lot of cleanup. You will spend the difference in the gas and flux in time and money on cleanup. Grinder wheels burned up metal and wasted time is not my favorite way to do repairs with metal. My sons company actually welds stainless with a mig and they are good at it, had I known how well it works I might have never bought a tig. Although it still is needed for aluminum.

Does mig requires gas? Are there mugs that uses 120 volts? 220 is not an option 4 me
indianmort
depending on the welder, you may only need to change the tip, cup and wire and add the regulator. my century these are all that is needed to go from flux to gas. if the machine has the gas fixture on the back then this is probably all you need to do. if not, you may need to change the gun and lead assembly to go to gas. i am sure there are many here who know the answer for sure. my century 140 is 110. there are other 110 gas rigs available as well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ppetion @ Dec 9 2010, 05:51 PM) *

is it difficult to use a flux wire welder? what are the do's and don'ts to make it easier?

Here's a good article about the differences between MIG and Flux ...
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/a...vsfluxcored.asp

welder.gif
realred914
QUOTE(ppetion @ Dec 10 2010, 12:09 PM) *

Does mig requires gas? Are there mugs that uses 120 volts? 220 is not an option 4 me

yes, migs can run on 110 volts and yes MIG ( Metal Inert GAS) uses the sheilding gas. the gas is used to blow away oxygen form the air that would oxidize the red hot metal, oxygen in the melt would weaken the weld. the argon/CO2 mix in the mig gas will not react with the red hot metal. the gas is INERT!

Hobart makes a very capable 110 volt MIG welder, called the Hobart handler, look them up on the web. this is really a first rate small MIG, have used it extensivly, great for autobody metal work a quality maching, no cheapo chinese crap. if you going to weld a bunch, invest in a good welder, not the Costo special. The Hobart Handler has has served my fatehr and me for near 20 years, it is portable. dont let the plastic case fool you,. it is a quality percision welder, ggood transformer, Gun, and drive mechanism, Hobart is a major welding machine maker. this one is not a toy.

if you only do a small job, and dont expect to use it often ever again, consider a rental, or buy a cheap one.
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 10 2010, 04:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Dec 9 2010, 05:51 PM) *

Here's a good article about the differences between MIG and Flux ...
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/a...vsfluxcored.asp

welder.gif

very good article...spot on.

Rich
sww914
I was surprised to see the ironworkers building the 5 story Mark S. Taper Imaging Center at Cedars-Sinai hospital using flux core mig. It was BIG flux core mig for BIG steel beams.
I use gas but I've used flux as well on a 24 hours of LeMons project. I was impressed overall. It was hard to tune it for sheet metal, their wire was a bit big, but it did a really excellent job of welding 1/8" and up, like seat belt tabs on the cage and cage gussets. I'd buy gas again but if all I could afford I'd buy flux core and convert it to a bottle later.
r_towle
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 10 2010, 09:48 PM) *

I was surprised to see the ironworkers building the 5 story Mark S. Taper Imaging Center at Cedars-Sinai hospital using flux core mig. It was BIG flux core mig for BIG steel beams.
I use gas but I've used flux as well on a 24 hours of LeMons project. I was impressed overall. It was hard to tune it for sheet metal, their wire was a bit big, but it did a really excellent job of welding 1/8" and up, like seat belt tabs on the cage and cage gussets. I'd buy gas again but if all I could afford I'd buy flux core and convert it to a bottle later.

Gas mig is limited to about 1/8 inch in thickness.
Flux core can go alot bigger...and with more amps it really becomes and arc welder with a rolling wire...
Outside, in the wind...flux core rules.
Gas mig needs no wind and everything needs to be super clean.
Steel beams are never clean...
Rich
geniusanthony
Great input, I have used wire fed flux core, Mig, arc, and brazed and by far the easiest to use was wire fed flux, it is how I learned and helped prepare me for later practices. If all you have to do is squeez the trigger and move the gun you can concentrate on your movement speed, angle, and distance from the work. Ya you have to clean it up more but when you are learning, thats when you will see were you went wrong and can problem solve from there. For example, as you are grinding off all the boogers you will think, wow, this sucks, how can I avoid this in the future? And , perhaps next time a little more prep work will cause fewer boogers and your work practices can then improve. BTW cold chisels make the quickest work of steel boogers.

Andyrew
One of the biggest differences between flux core and MIG is that when you are laying a bead with flux core, you cant go back on that bead as you wont make any penetration. The wire has a shielding element to it that has to be knocked off prior to welding more, This makes it really difficult to fill holes and make gaps,which is very common on household welding. This is why I prefer MIG welding. With mig welding the shielding comes in a form of a gas and doesnt cause for any sheild on the metal, and thus can be immediately welded over with great penetration.

However a flux core is a great way to learn!

Good luck! Get some sheet metal, and play with your settings. Weld for 15 minutes, examine everything, adjust settings, weld again, adjust, repeat for 3 hours.. you should have the basics down.
914itis
For some reason it refuses to stick I spent hous tryng to weld a 22 gauge piec of metal about 2 inches long to plug a hole and no luck
saigon71
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 10 2010, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Dec 10 2010, 12:09 PM) *

yes, migs can run on 110 volts and yes MIG ( Metal Inert GAS) uses the sheilding gas. the gas is used to blow away oxygen form the air that would oxidize the red hot metal, oxygen in the melt would weaken the weld. the argon/CO2 mix in the mig gas will not react with the red hot metal. the gas is INERT!

Hobart makes a very capable 110 volt MIG welder, called the Hobart handler, look them up on the web. this is really a first rate small MIG, have used it extensivly, great for autobody metal work a quality maching, no cheapo chinese crap. if you going to weld a bunch, invest in a good welder, not the Costo special. The Hobart Handler has has served my fatehr and me for near 20 years, it is portable. dont let the plastic case fool you,. it is a quality percision welder, ggood transformer, Gun, and drive mechanism, Hobart is a major welding machine maker. this one is not a toy.

if you only do a small job, and dont expect to use it often ever again, consider a rental, or buy a cheap one.

I have to endorse the Hobart Handler as well - great welder! I learned without gas and added the tank about a month later. Much cleaner welds and less clean up. Adding the gas bottle was well worth the expense to me. Take your time practicing on scrap metal as suggested above before touching anything on the car.
Andyrew
QUOTE(ppetion @ Dec 11 2010, 03:32 PM) *

For some reason it refuses to stick I spent hous tryng to weld a 22 gauge piec of metal about 2 inches long to plug a hole and no luck

Take a pic of your welds. We can help.
rfuerst911sc
In 2006 when I bought my 914 project car I knew I was going to need a mig welder. I have a oxy/acetylene and an old 300 amp buzz box but for all the projects I was planning for the 914 mig was the way to go. I purchased a Hobart Handler 140 which is a 110volt mig. Out the door with gas cylinder,tax and extra tips plus was $600.00. Since purchasing this I have discovered it is an excellent welder for the money and I would purchase it again. I have welded the Rich Johnson six engine mount, Engman kit, GT stiffening kit, trailing arm stiffening, suspension ear stiffening and GT flares. The Hobart handled all of it well. I have also used it with flux core wire with good results but like others have stated it is messy with a lot more cleanup. Hobart is a division of Miller so it's a quality piece. Having said that you should purchase locally if possible and get a brand that can be serviced locally if possible. Buying extra tips,wire,gas from your local welding supply is good business and they can get you out of a jamb if you get in one. And welding is a " touch " skill. Some people have it and some don't, but the more you practice the better odds you will have of success.
914 shifter
imho if you have a big project gas shield will save you hours of grinding. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.