Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gave myself a 3rd (and 4th... and 5th) nipple last night...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I ran out of welding gas last night and did not realize it until about 10 minutes after it happened. I thought I had just hit a bit of dirty metal, as the molten hot lava sparks began burning holes through my jacket (then my shirt… then my t-shirt… ). Is it still cool with the younger generation to have yourself branded? If so, I am marginally “hipper” this morning…. and a pretty darn good dancer too.

Stupid British cars (stooped guy welding...)

So, I was thinking of ordering an actual welding shirt. Lots of them for sale on line, just curious if anyone had any recommendations for what works best.

Thanks!
Scott S
r_towle
harbor freight, nice thick leather.
Get the arm protectors also...

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Dec 10 2010, 08:54 AM) *
Gave myself a 3rd (and 4th... and 5th) nipple last night...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ArtechnikA
While no substitute for the real thing, a Nomex (e.g. Simpson) turtleneck should be better than nothing...

If I'd followed my own advice while using a torch to loosen very stuck exhaust flange studs I wouldn't have several melted places in my formerly nice polypropylene pullover...
charliew
I don't usually weld overhead for very long intervals so I really just like a heavy cotton or denum shirt but pockets need flaps. I think hf would be the most economical though. wait for a after xmas sale if you can. Also there is a flap that hangs over the adams apple area that you might consider as that part gets a lot of flash when you are wearing just a shirt. If nothing else a bandana is better than nothing in warmer weather. Also I try to remember to use a older creeper if I am on one. It will save the material and the wheels as the hard rubber ones get a lot of beads and slag stuck in them, I usually have to stop and sweep often and sometimes dig the metal out of a wheel to get it to roll again. My friend recentnly found me a new old lift to use so maybe my creeper days are over after only 50 years. I may miss the naps on a creeper though.
Porcharu
I like what I call sleeves and a collar. The back is open so you don't fry. Full front and a collar with full sleeves. Fairly light leather and not bad running heavy amps (for my small machines) even in the summer. Most of my T-shirts have 10-20 holes in them (on the front only) because I don't wear it because it's just a small job - just a minute or so.
Andyrew
Well, when welding overhead, I typically have a big thick piece of leather.. the weld shops sell welding aprons that work really well for that kinda thing. They sell full welding jackets as well, but they are really expensive..

Good luck!
Drums66
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 10 2010, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Dec 10 2010, 08:54 AM) *
Gave myself a 3rd (and 4th... and 5th) nipple last night...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif (at least it wasn't your hands bro)nipple's on the hands
rallysport70
I bought a synthetic welding jacket at Tractor Supply Co and leather gloves. I've had no issues whatsoever (yet, anyways). I have not done much "overhead" welding. I think I only paid about $30, but can't recall for sure.
stugray
Here is a related hint:

If you are using a cutting torch to cut off some metal strip from the bottom of something sitting up on jackstands....DONT hold the piece up with your foot while cutting. w00t.gif

Imagine a red-hot piece of molten metal falling down one jeans pantleg. The as you FLY out from under the workpiece and do an imitation of every Michael Jackson dance in 5 seconds while the molten piece works its way through your underwear (luckily you had been sweating), then flys out the OTHER pantleg STILL GLOWIN RED HOT. yikes.gif

I had tracks up one leg, across the nether regions, and down the other leg.

Never do that again blink.gif

Stu
SLITS
I use JB Weld. No burns, no sweat ......... av-943.gif
scotty b
I've been using one of these for years and can't say enough about it
tomeric914
http://store.cyberweld.com/tiwejablcowp.html $40, includes shipping welder.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 13 2010, 05:38 PM) *
can't say enough about it

I can ... wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.